PDA

View Full Version : Starcraft on Vista?

|MaguS|
05-19-07, 08:24 PM
Anyone got the game to run properly? I can launch it and play but I get this horrible flickering in the game, and it only happens in this box on the left side of the screen.

Newest patch aswell as newest drivers.

nekrosoft13
05-21-07, 01:22 AM
could it be the same or simular problem as in Diablo 2? Diablo 2 doesn't like AA.

i would try to disable AA and AF, or make a profile for starcraft with AA and AF disabled, see if it makes a difference

|MaguS|
05-21-07, 09:03 AM
Yeah that worked... It's weird, I had it set to Application Default, would have thought it would have disabled AA then.

Ikshaar
05-21-07, 03:07 PM
Hehe I reinstalled it too.. with a dual monitor, and it does not like it. Although it plays ok, the second monitor goes into a weird mode (sort of 8 bit color and wallpaper resized at 640x480 but resolution still on 1280x1024).

Bigger problem is mouse quit the game when it goes on edge with other monitor instead of moving. Any way to force mouse to stay in game ?

EvilEye
05-22-07, 01:30 AM
I solved it by setting compatibillity mode to Windows 98. By doing this you don't have to fidle with the AA settings ;) . I'm surprised this old game even start on Vista :).

Ruggles
12-01-08, 11:48 AM
Hey sorry to bring back a dead topic, but I have this same problem. Just wondering though, what are these AA and AF things I have to disable?

|MaguS|
12-01-08, 11:58 AM
Hey sorry to bring back a dead topic, but I have this same problem. Just wondering though, what are these AA and AF things I have to disable?

Just don't force it and the game will work fine. If you are forcing AA/AF you will have issues.

Ruggles
12-01-08, 12:07 PM
Just don't force it and the game will work fine. If you are forcing AA/AF you will have issues.

Okay... You didn't answer my question though. What are AA and AF?

waxhawguy
12-01-08, 01:10 PM
I had this same problem, just go to the startup icon for StarCraft, or the ".exe" for the game (if you're using Vista), and right click. Then go to Properties, compatibility, and click on the box and set to "Windows 98" or "XP service pack 2". I heard you get this problem because visual settings for the game use old color combos then on Vista, so you have to tell Vista to manually switch back to those colors.

|MaguS|
12-01-08, 01:23 PM
Okay... You didn't answer my question though. What are AA and AF?

AA: Anti-Alias AF: Anisotropic Filtering

nekrosoft13
12-01-08, 01:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering