PDA

View Full Version : Which drivers to use for 6800GT / XP/ LOTRO

Ghosthunter
05-19-07, 08:16 PM
I have been using 84.56 for a while now and they work great in EQ2 and WoW

I just picked up LOTR Online, and been having strange problems not sure if you call it pixelating or artificating, just see these little white boxes all over, and little tiny circle dots

driving me crazy.

Should I upgrade my drivers and to which version? it seems nothing new came out for my card anyway?

Elvin Presler
05-20-07, 01:31 AM
I still like the 8456's for my 7800GS. The new 9424's seem good too, and no obnoxious new control panel in them!

On that note, little white dots like snow? I whole bunch of them? Like a "stars in the sky" effect all over the screen? That's usually an overheating/dying video card.

If you've been playing WoW, I'm going to assume you have spent the last 1.5-2 years with your face glued to your monitor and haven't even noticed anything about newer hardware or drivers, or games, or that your girlfriend has had a new boyfriend for like 8 months now. I'll also assume there is a massive dust ball lodged and caked all around the fan on your video card due to neglect and not being cleaned out for 2 years.

Get it out, check your temperatures! The 8456's have run everything I've thrown at them with no "artifacts" including Stalker, Far Cry, Tomb Raider Legend, Playstation Emulation, the newest few Need For speed games, Oblivion, Advent Rising, Prey, Silent hill 3, you name it.

Ghosthunter
05-20-07, 09:24 AM
yeah i dont think it is the drivers

here is asmall frap movie i made about 7 seconds

http://www.nnjpr.org/images/lotr.avi

i tried to take screenshots, but it doesnt capture them in screenshots

I acutally been playing EQ2 for past 6 months and have had no problems, in fact I went back into EQ2 last night and I play at 1600x1200 and most turn high and no problems

i checked temp it runs around 80, same for EQ2

grey_1
05-20-07, 09:48 AM
Hey GH, never seen you outside P&R!

A quick temp check if you haven't already is open your case and blow a small fan in there and compare temps. My 6800GT has never run over 60c. 80c is pretty warm.

I wouldn't really question the drivers either. They aren't going to start acting up suddenly after months and months of use.

Just curious, would anyone you know have another card you could use for a couple days to make comparisons?

Ghosthunter
05-20-07, 10:36 AM
Hey GH, never seen you outside P&R!

A quick temp check if you haven't already is open your case and blow a small fan in there and compare temps. My 6800GT has never run over 60c. 80c is pretty warm.

I wouldn't really question the drivers either. They aren't going to start acting up suddenly after months and months of use.

Just curious, would anyone you know have another card you could use for a couple days to make comparisons?

thanks for info

here an update:

i opened up the PC, and blew all the dust out

was not as much dust as i expected to be honest.

I now playing and seems to be running fine no more problems.

temps seem to be running around 76 now

one thing i did not check before is cpu and m/b temps. I dont know what they should be at for my PC. I have a p4 2.8 asus p4p800 anyone know what is too hot when playing full load? I am thinking maybe that the problem and taking out dust from m/b took care of it but dont know?

also if dust was the problem why was it only showing up in LOTRO and not in EQ2? EQ2 seems to tax my system as well

grey_1
05-20-07, 11:03 AM
I really doubt it's your cpu, but anything over 50c is where I would get nervous.

That said, my GTs heatsink was loose and the thermal paste was garbage right out of the box. The paste was dry and crumbly, applying as3 made a big difference. Those stock heatsinks also collect a lot of dust under the heatsink cover that's almost impossible to remove without taking the cover off.

There is also the possibility it is the drivers. I seem to remember having good results with the 93.71s for gaming. That card is in the family pc now, but I still have those installed.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Hope all this helps somewhat!

Ghosthunter
05-20-07, 11:25 AM
I really doubt it's your cpu, but anything over 50c is where I would get nervous.

That said, my GTs heatsink was loose and the thermal paste was garbage right out of the box. The paste was dry and crumbly, applying as3 made a big difference. Those stock heatsinks also collect a lot of dust under the heatsink cover that's almost impossible to remove without taking the cover off.

There is also the possibility it is the drivers. I seem to remember having good results with the 93.71s for gaming. That card is in the family pc now, but I still have those installed.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

Hope all this helps somewhat!

I tried messing all drvers last night forgot to mention,

odd thing is i saw this problem as soon as i went into char select screen after a pc being shutdown for several hours and knowing temp was ok

think i should try just and get a an exchange from BFG since it a lifetime warranty or try doing what you did get some better cooler?

grey_1
05-20-07, 01:49 PM
I tried messing all drvers last night forgot to mention,

odd thing is i saw this problem as soon as i went into char select screen after a pc being shutdown for several hours and knowing temp was ok

think i should try just and get a an exchange from BFG since it a lifetime warranty or try doing what you did get some better cooler?

The stock cooler on those is actually pretty efficient. But the thermal paste was lousy. I removed the heatsink, carefully...some small screws, cleaned the gpu with alcohol and used arctic silver 3. as5 is a touch better but I didn't have it at the time.

Just a note though, if you do think it's the card, don't remove anything as it could void any existing warrenty.

That's still a tough call with only one game acting up and all others being ok.

I wish I had a more solid answer for you.

Ghosthunter
05-20-07, 02:12 PM
The stock cooler on those is actually pretty efficient. But the thermal paste was lousy. I removed the heatsink, carefully...some small screws, cleaned the gpu with alcohol and used arctic silver 3. as5 is a touch better but I didn't have it at the time.

Just a note though, if you do think it's the card, don't remove anything as it could void any existing warrenty.

That's still a tough call with only one game acting up and all others being ok.

I wish I had a more solid answer for you.

well it was running fine for about an hour then problem came back i checked temps and about 77-78, and cpu and m/b were fine, cpu hit 40c at full load

even still 77-78 should not be bad for a 6800GT i dont think, i am going to call BFG and see what they say

thanks for help

Ghosthunter
05-20-07, 02:19 PM
well i called BFG they said it should not run hotter then 60c at full load

probably overheated and caused damage

set up an RMA, luckily I have my laptop, and has a 7800 Go card, it actually runs games good except only has 1 GB of Ram can use to play until i get card back

thanks

Ghosthunter
05-20-07, 02:40 PM
btw do they make any better AGP cards that I can get?

or it only pci-express? thinking of just going out and getting another card for now

EDIT: card must be dead, PC wll turn on but wont show anything on monitor,

grey_1
05-20-07, 03:52 PM
btw do they make any better AGP cards that I can get?

or it only pci-express? thinking of just going out and getting another card for now
Glad to hear they'll RMA for you, 6800GT is a great card.

You do have other options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+1068309611+106790717&name=GeForce+7+series

I just picked this page as it's easy to narrow down to AGP. I figure you'll want at least 256mb, and I heard and read alot of good things about the 7600GT series. The price is right also. I think the 79xx AGPs were kind of hit or miss quality wise.

It would probably be a good idea to make a post in the Video card forum itself asking opinions. You'll be "prompted" :p to upgrade your whole rig, but guys will be able to tell you how they fared.

Good Luck with it GH.

Elvin Presler
05-20-07, 09:20 PM
From that AVI, I'd say that card is fried. I would not let my old BFG 6800GT run over 65c. I think it idled at 53c and ran around 62c under load. Mine fried eventually anyway. Looked just like yours for a couple hours, then worse, then way worse, then just a mass of corrupt globs of color when I boot up. You could not even read/see the posting text as the pc booted.

It sounds like yours is still running pretty darned hot though. I would RMA it if I were you. When I RMA'ed my fried BFG 6800GT they sent me the same card, or another fried exactly the same way, back. Then I RMA'ed it again after calling them to express my anger about that (politely), and they then sent me a 7800GS in it's place. So far that one is working fine.

ciaspook
05-21-07, 02:06 AM
The 160.02 should work fine with the 6800...

Ghosthunter
05-29-07, 06:34 PM
btw just got my card back from BFG and guess what they sent me a 7800 GS

I am happy!

jsut checked temps at idle is at 42 is that good?

i also upped my power supply at same time upgraded from the sonata 380 to Antec Trio 430 good thing I did to handle the 7800

grey_1
05-29-07, 06:41 PM
btw just got my card back from BFG and guess what they sent me a 7800 GS

I am happy!

jsut checked temps at idle is at 42 is that good?

i also upped my power supply at same time upgraded from the sonata 380 to Antec Trio 430 good thing I did to handle the 7800
NICE! Can't advise on XP drivers as I haven't used it for a while, just wanted to say gratz on getting the better card.

Elvin Presler
05-30-07, 03:11 AM
42c is great. That's about what mine runs at too. I have one newer 7800GS with a copper heat sink that runs at 42 idle and an older one with aluminum that runs around 44. The 7800's run a lot cooler than the 6800's did.

I'm still going to say I prefer the 9424 (or 8456) drivers just because I can't stand the new control panel, and I see no benefit from the newer drivers anyway. But really, anything from 7803 on up should work fine. Some maybe a bit better for certain situations, like SLI or dual monitors, whatever. I wouldn't know, I am still on one monitor, one video card, and AGP.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html