PDA

View Full Version : AMD fighting back hard in 2008...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Redeemed
05-20-07, 10:19 AM
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39691

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39690

Yup- our favorite source for tech-info. :p Still worth a read though. It'll be interesting to see how Intel competes.

Quick420
05-20-07, 12:40 PM
The Inquirer......:D

Mr_LoL
05-20-07, 01:26 PM
Screw 2008. Just release some Phenom benchmarks. Intel did it with Core 2 so Amd should be doing the same.

AthlonXP1800
05-20-07, 05:03 PM
Screw 2008. Just release some Phenom benchmarks. Intel did it with Core 2 so Amd should be doing the same.

Yes indeed AMD should done that back in January or February, they didnt released R600 benchmarks because it slower. Same thing go to Phenom, AMD did not made lots of sound about it like Intel did with Core 2 Duo benchmarks back to around February 2006.

If AMD did made a lots of noise about Phenom back in February then they would not lose about 6% marketshare to Intel!

05-20-07, 05:24 PM
Well AMD lost me when I discovered the superior Pentium D 9xx series processor :cool: , but I do think competition is good as it helped bring about the Core 2 duo. That said, one thing I don't like about AMD's plans, according to an anandtech article, is their plan to merge the GPU & CPU into a single unit. That is the worst idea ever because then whenever you want to upgrade your video card you'd have to upgrade processor as well. No thanks. :thumbdwn:

Madpistol
05-21-07, 02:07 AM
And who's to say that Intel won't have an equally fast (if not faster) processor in 2008?

Show me some benchies. Until then, it's a bunch of FUD. ;)

nVidi0t
05-21-07, 02:25 AM
I swear if they release a boxed CPU branded 'Phenom' it's game over man. (Although I guess the Wii defeats this logic)

Redeemed
05-21-07, 02:26 AM
And who's to say that Intel won't have an equally fast (if not faster) processor in 2008?

Show me some benchies. Until then, it's a bunch of FUD. ;)

Have ya'll even read the article? It is referring to CP+GPU. As of now, Intel has nothing competitive in the road map. What, an integrated Intel GPU? Yeah, right. Even AMD will be able to offer better performance on that end. Now, if Intel can strike a deal with nVidia- which is highly likely- then we're talking some competition.

Otherwise, this'll be great news for AMD. Especially in the OEM segment.

Madpistol
05-21-07, 09:03 AM
Have ya'll even read the article? It is referring to CP+GPU. As of now, Intel has nothing competitive in the road map. What, an integrated Intel GPU? Yeah, right. Even AMD will be able to offer better performance on that end. Now, if Intel can strike a deal with nVidia- which is highly likely- then we're talking some competition.

It does seem that AMD has the advantage from an R&D perspective. The question is will they capitalize on this opportunity to create something truly revolutionary? I'm sure they have the technology necessary to create a CP+GPU solution, but will they go this path, or will they continue to offer CPU's and GPU's?

I wonder how the industry would react to such a radical change in architecture. Think about how long we've been on just the standard CPU+RAM+GPU+HDD+etc. system. If AMD changes that, it's going to rattle the market. I'm just curious as to whether it will catch on.

JayG30
05-21-07, 10:47 AM

Intel tried to do this years ago. They are also trying to do the same right now. Might not be in the road map with any specific dates but they are indeed working on it once again.

Every bit of buzz I've read on the topic has said that more then likely this integrated CPU/GPU idea will be limited to replacements for integrated GPU's on lower end models for at least the first year or maybe two. Saying that it is simply not far enough along to see any high performance applications yet.

Did you also see the article about Intel trying to strike a deal with Nvidia to allow SLI on the P35/X38 chipsets in exchange for some of there information on certain GPU tech? I'd say that Intel knows what they are doing and has just as much a chance at this as AMD/ATI. People always tend to underestimate Intel. There are some very smart people working over there.

As far as an Intel and Nvidia merger, I really don't think it's that likely to happen. I don't think they see eye to eye and Intel seems to really want to remain themselves and not bring others in. I think an unspoken bond between the two is more likely. Maybe blocking out Crossfire support on future chipsets and only supporting Nvidia cards???

john19055
05-22-07, 02:04 AM
I think if the AMD Phenom was a lot faster then the core2 Duo then we would already see some benchmarks ,That was what peaked my intestest in Intel when I saw tose benchmarks,I did'nt know if they were true,but it turned out to be.I would love to see AMD come out with a chip that would put some heat on intel.But AMD had a great run ,I guess it is time for Intel to have a run,maybe it will not be as long as AMD had it's run.

Rakeesh
05-22-07, 02:45 AM
I think what they could do is add some better vector/shader processing extensions to the x86 instruction set. A driver could be installed that would work as a layer for 3D API's to optionally use the CPU.

This would save on the expense of buying a video card for lower end systems, and simultaneously allow the CPU to optionally work as a great physics processor on high end systems that already have a decent video card.

TBH I don't really see there being any need to vastly improve physics processors over time like we do with video cards. With video cards we improve shader functions over time for e.g. new graphics effects, more pipes for higher poly counts, etc.

With physics we just need to be able to handle millions of objects bumping into each other at once, responding according to friction coefficients, etc, which the existing generation of PPU's can already handle. It doesn't really get more advanced than that IMO. (Unless you start using the physical properties of the objects colliding/sliding to generate more realistic sounds, but we are years away from even beginning to do that, as afaik, the math for calculating that within reasonable accuracy doesn't even exist yet. If it did then mufflers would probably be obsolete.)

Physics processing would advance at about the rate of CPU's, if not a tad slower, so it would make sense to be able to integrate them.

Redeemed
07-03-07, 05:05 PM
Some more info you guys might find interesting- again from teh Inq.-

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40749

And a 45watt Phenom X2 does sound sexy- don't it? :D

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7911

And we just might see Barcelona next month???

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39287801,00.htm?r=4

Me, I still have high hopes for the new Opterons and Phenom series of processors from AMD. But, at the same time- I'm fully aware that Intel will not let AMD easily beat them again. I'm hoping for stiff competition from both companies. I pray that neither company remains on top for more than 6 months at a time- but we all know how unlikely that is. :(

Interesting reading none the less.

Madpistol
07-03-07, 07:15 PM
Very good reading Redeemed.

From what I can tell, AMD may have a fighting chance with Barcelona if they hit the market at the right time. If they wait too much longer to release it, Intel will go ahead with 45nm Penryn's, and that could possibly mean that it will put AMD right back in the predicament that they are in right now with the Core 2 Duo's.

With luck, at worst, AMD will catch up to Intel. At best, AMD will win.

jcrox
07-03-07, 07:57 PM
Barcelona is going to need to be a total beast.... you see the prices on those babies??? It'll be a tough sell if the Q6600's really end up at $266

Amuro
07-03-07, 08:11 PM
It does seem that AMD has the advantage from an R&D perspective. The question is will they capitalize on this opportunity to create something truly revolutionary? I'm sure they have the technology necessary to create a CP+GPU solution, but will they go this path, or will they continue to offer CPU's and GPU's?

I wonder how the industry would react to such a radical change in architecture. Think about how long we've been on just the standard CPU+RAM+GPU+HDD+etc. system. If AMD changes that, it's going to rattle the market. I'm just curious as to whether it will catch on.
AMD said they would continue to offer discreet graphics solutions.

grey_1
07-03-07, 08:11 PM
But AMD doesn't need to outdo the current crop to get cred back, they're going to be pinned between C2Ds and Penryns and Nehalims, oh my! :p

Not to mention what intel will be hammering out next.

I for one would love to see them at least close the gap, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

nrdstrm
07-03-07, 08:55 PM
Too bad that AMD is pushing back Phenom once again...

The article in Digitimes below says 2 things to me...Paper Launch in Nov/Dec...Hard launch Q1 08...Dissapointing AMD...Dissapointing :thumbdwn:

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20070702PD201.html

AMD's Phenom processors were originally planned to begin test-production between September and October, and to start shipping in November this year. However, AMD may now be planning to postpone Phenom's launch date to the first quarter of 2008, according to sources at motherboard makers.

AMD intends to modify its process technology to increase the yield rate and frequencies of Phenom processors in order to improve the competitiveness of the CPUs against Intel's Penryn family, said the sources. AMD has already notified several motherboard makers that Phenom will now begin test-production in November or December, and will launch in first quarter of 2008, noted the sources.

However, AMD has responded to this report by stating that the company's official launch schedule for Phenom remains the second half of 2007 and this schedule has not changed. The company added that it has not contacted motherboard makers concerning a delay to the schedule.

With Phenom set to not appear in 2007, several motherboard makers have made plans to decrease shipments of socket AM2+ motherboards and to increase those of Intel's platform, added the sources.

jcrox
07-03-07, 09:07 PM
However, AMD has responded to this report by stating that the company's official launch schedule for Phenom remains the second half of 2007 and this schedule has not changed. The company added that it has not contacted motherboard makers concerning a delay to the schedule.

With Phenom set to not appear in 2007, several motherboard makers have made plans to decrease shipments of socket AM2+ motherboards and to increase those of Intel's platform, added the sources.

:crosseye:

CaptNKILL
07-04-07, 06:55 AM
:crosseye:
Launch just means all the details will be officially unveiled. If they "launch" it and it isn't actually available, thats a "paper launch".

Madpistol
07-04-07, 09:24 AM
AMD... you're digging your grave buddy. :(

Logical
07-04-07, 10:10 AM
Same old AMD with there claims....*yawn* benchmarks plz.

Saintster
07-04-07, 11:51 AM
The "only" thing i know is that I waited a year for AMD to do something and they didn't. I have no regrets because the rig I have now is my first intel rig and it's the best rig by far especially because i feel I didn't have to break the bank for incredible performance. AMD will have to hit a home run like intel did to get me to come back. I hope AMD does stay in the game because I would hate to see the prices sky rocket the intel and AMD price cuts have been nice for all consumers.

Ninja Prime
07-04-07, 01:37 PM
Same old AMD with there claims....*yawn* benchmarks plz.

Actually arstechnica has some previews that says +21% int, +50% float at a slightly lower clock than Clovertown, aka the Xeon version of Core 2.

Ninja Prime
07-05-07, 03:40 PM
Those are simulated (!) benchmarks from AMD, not the real stuff. Those are like "target benchmark results".

Tom's is reporting them as real. Where are you getting this from, your ass?