PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying PC Speakers

Niot
05-21-07, 12:15 AM
Hi, I'm getting a set of 2.1 speakers to replace my Altec Lansing VS4121. My budget range is ~$100.

I'm looking at these

Logitech Z-2300 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122)

Creative Labs I-Trigue L3800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836116179)

Altec Lansing Fx4021 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836113008) (I know this one is probably not as good as the others)

Or if there is any other in the price range that are also good please recommend them to me.

Now, I know about the reputation of the Z-2300, but I don't know exactly why it got a good reputation. According to it's specifications it has a much higher wattage, but does that actually translate to better sound quality per se or just capable of going louder and boomier without distorsion? Because I don't play music very loud (I listen to classical music and soundtracks from movies and games, and play games with them. No rock, rap) I read customer reviews that says the Z-2300 doesn't have as good of a sound quality in it's satellites because it doesn't have a tweeter, so it actually isn't really the best in terms of sound quality compared to the others. Is that true?

Thanks in advance.

Kayden
05-21-07, 06:53 AM
I personally wouldn't go with any of them as my first choice, instead I would look at Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836119101) for a few reasons 1: There THX certified, 2: the sub is second to none, 3: I have the 5.1 and my only regret is not getting the digital decoder when I had the chance. These speakers are as clear as you get for a pc and the classical music you listen to will sound so good you will want to turn it up because there is no reverberation when turned all the way up, I listen to a lot of techno & rock and have never had a problem with any of my music. Bestbuy should have these in stock in your local area, mine does and I'm in SD where we almost get nothing for tech out here and there in the same ball park figure as the other speakers. If there had to be a second choice though the creative labs would be an excellent choice just because every one I know who has bought a logitech set of speakers has returned them due to poor sound quality.

To answer your question "According to it's specifications it has a much higher wattage, but does that actually translate to better sound quality per se or just capable of going louder and boomier without distorsion?" watts just means its louder and doesn't always mean it won't have distorstion, because thats dependant on the freq range & how well the speaker was made. The klipsch I know have no troubles but unsure of the creative and you can only really tell by listening to them.

EDIT: just a little more info on the klipsch they didn't have anything on newegg
* 200 watts of real-world music power drive two satellites (100watt per speaker) and a vented 6.5" subwoofer
* 32-20,000Hz frequency range
* 106dB maximum output capability
* Satellites feature 0.75" MicroTractrix™ tweeters and 3" midbass drivers
* Connects easily to virtually any source: two-channel soundcards, or any stereo mini-plug equipped device
* Headphone jack

Niot
05-21-07, 11:35 AM
So all of the hype with the Logitech speakers is just about their loudness? The Z-2300 has been praised universally by users and reviewers like Cnet, it's actually that bad?

The Klipsch is kind of expensive at where I live (a lot higher than the Newegg price) so I don't really want it.

I'll consider the CA speakers.

Niot
05-21-07, 02:49 PM
Actually I'll get the Klipsch speakers. So one question, are all of the distributors on the Klipsch site trustworthy (ie, no refurbished, openbox stuff posing as new)? Can I just select the local retailer with the cheapest price that appears on Klipsch's website? Does Klipsch guarantee the integrity of their official distributors? Like if I report to them that one of their distributors are falsely advertising their products will they deal with it?

JayG30
05-21-07, 03:03 PM
Actually I'll get the Klipsch speakers. So one question, are all of the distributors on the Klipsch site trustworthy (ie, no refurbished, openbox stuff posing as new)? Can I just select the local retailer with the cheapest price that appears on Klipsch's website? Does Klipsch guarantee the integrity of their official distributors? Like if I report to them that one of their distributors are falsely advertising their products will they deal with it?

Klipsch is an upstanding company. If you purchase something through one of their authorized resellers and you experience a problem they will take care of you no questions asked.

Madpistol
05-21-07, 06:13 PM
I'm gonna stand up for the Z-2300's. They are a fabulous set of speakers. Their clarity for what you pay for them is incredible. Yes they are loud, but the lows are beautiful and the highs are incredibly crisp, and for the setup, the "stuff in the middle" is also perfect.

BTW, I'm a music major and I love classical, jazz, and pretty much every other type of music around, and these speakers hit a very sweet spot for every type of music.

I recommend the Z-2300's. I've never had a better set of computer speakers, and I've been searching for almost 10 years for a perfect set of speakers. These speakers are pretty dang close. They've never distorted as long as I've had them.

Niot
05-23-07, 04:25 PM
Actually the stores in my area don't have the Klipsch stocked anymore. How are the Creative L3800s?

zerobeta
05-24-07, 03:01 AM
I have heard the sound of the Altec fx6021 is amazing, so you might want to check how is the quality of the fx4021

May I ask if THX makes a big difference? what difference will it make when playing games and listening to music?

For example the THX Z-2300 vs non THX fx6021?

Madpistol
05-24-07, 09:25 AM
THX is a pointless certification really. You pay some money, you get certified. :rolleyes:

It's supposed to mean that there is relatively no distortion across the board of volume levels, which is very high praise. But the tests that are used to get to that conclusion are far from "extensive".

On another note, I really absolutely love my Z-2300's! I've never heard a better set of computer speakers. (even the ones that are $150-$200 more expensive) :D