PDA

View Full Version : Garry's Mod for HL2

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 03:05 AM
Has anyone bought Garry's Mod for HL2 through steam? I really enjoyed the mod when it was free, I just don't know if the pay-version is worth the purchase to get all the newest features. Its only $10, but if anyone has it, how does it compare to the free game?

nopp0x00
05-21-07, 04:21 AM
It has a better interface and new tools to mess around with. I'm betting the home site for the mod has a bunch of comparison screenies.

grey_1
05-21-07, 05:14 AM
I had a ton of fun with it. If you like playing with this sort of thing it would be worth the $10.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6868/1on1jw6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

t3hl33td4rg0n
05-21-07, 05:19 AM
MY g/f's brother used to play gmod9 a lot... A couple months ago, he bit the bullet and bought gmod10, and he says its worth every penny.

gulizard
05-21-07, 05:24 AM
I think its lame. Played the free version when it was free, before Garry decided to sell out. It gets boring after awhile though, I guess its fun to mess about till you get a memory error, or your game crashes, that or some jack ass spawns to much ****, your FPS goes down to 10, and remains there even when its all removed.

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 05:31 AM
hahaha :rofl

Thats great. I think I'm going to buy it. :D

I just downloaded a ton of Half-Life 2 mods. I installed them all and the first one I played turned out to be freaking awesome and I played it for like an hour and a half.

Pirates, Vikings and Knights II (http://www.pvkii.com/)
Not only is it SMOOTH, FUN and totally original, the graphics are extremely nice. Not exactly realistic, but the textures, the maps and the models are retail game quality. Check this out:
http://www.pvkii.com/images/ingame/jan2007/pvk_desertruin0011.jpg
http://www.pvkii.com/images/ingame/jan2007/pvk_fort0018.jpg
http://www.pvkii.com/images/ingame/jan2007/pvk_island0017.jpg

IMO, the melee combat in this game is what the melee combat in Dark Messiah's multiplayer should have been. It makes great use of Source's physics (the bodies fly and fall in realistic yet hilarious ways depending on how you kill the enemy) and as long as you take some time to learn how to fight it works extremely well without being a big clunky pain in the ass.

I highly HIGHLY recommend that everyone give this a whirl. Its very original, looks great and is a TON of fun. There arent many servers but as long as you have at least one person to play against its a riot.

Its pretty polished in its current state too. The Knights seem a bit overpowered right now, and it feels like there should be some sort of system for buying equipment, changing classes or advancing your abilities, but none of that really takes too much away from the game.

According to their website they are making some rather huge changes to the game to make it more complex (it is pretty simple right now) so I recommend getting it now and enjoying it in its current state. By the time you get bored with it they will probably have added some new features to keep it interesting.

grey_1
05-21-07, 05:34 AM
I think its lame. Played the free version when it was free, before Garry decided to sell out. It gets boring after awhile though, I guess its fun to mess about till you get a memory error, or your game crashes, that or some jack ass spawns to much ****, your FPS goes down to 10, and remains there even when its all removed.
Kind of hard to blame gary. It's only once in a blue moon a developer gets an opportunity like that. If valve wants to cough up the cash to him for all his hard work then cool, go for it. The way he's kept up on this he deserves it.

And if someone using the mod doesn't know what the heck they're doing that's hardly gary's fault.

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 05:40 AM
Kind of hard to blame gary. It's only once in a blue moon a developer gets an opportunity like that. If valve wants to cough up the cash to him for all his hard work then cool, go for it. The way he's kept up on this he deserves it.

And if someone using the mod doesn't know what the heck they're doing that's hardly gary's fault.
I agree.

I was a bit annoyed by the "selling out" at first, but come on... I doubt many people would put a lot of time into something like that and then turn down an offer to take it to the next level. His free mod is still available anyway. He doesn't support it, but Valve still has it listed on Steam for the people who don't want to pay for the mod.

Its just a case of someone doing something great, getting noticed by someone with money, and then getting payed for it... artists, musicians and game developers all do it.

Bokishi
05-21-07, 05:42 AM
GMOD 10 is a lot more stable

nekrosoft13
05-21-07, 07:12 AM
i'm not buying it

while garry mod 9 was decent, i'm not gonna pay for anything that has "mod" in the name

mods supposed to be free

|MaguS|
05-21-07, 07:22 AM
i'm not buying it

while garry mod 9 was decent, i'm not gonna pay for anything that has "mod" in the name

mods supposed to be free

Thats almost as dumb of an excuse as is "I download games because theirs no demo for me to try!"

Madpistol
05-21-07, 09:12 AM
i'm not buying it

mods supposed to be free

OMG... it's $10... 10 ferkin bucks. Give me a break. For all the hard work Garry put into this thing, I think he deserves some monetary compensation.

Me and my girlfriend love this game. There are quite a few game mods to this game too that give a whole new dimension to it. My favorite so far is the Spacebuild mod, where the objective is to build a working spaceship that can sustain itself in the far reaches of space. There are different planets and everything (granted it's not to scale, but it would be stupid if it was that big anyway)

I've wasted many hours of my life playing this game, and it's worth every penny. :D

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 09:19 AM
OMG... it's $10... 10 ferkin bucks. Give me a break. For all the hard work Garry put into this thing, I think he deserves some monetary compensation.

Me and my girlfriend love this game. There are quite a few game mods to this game too that give a whole new dimension to it. My favorite so far is the Spacebuild mod, where the objective is to build a working spaceship that can sustain itself in the far reaches of space. There are different planets and everything (granted it's not to scale, but it would be stupid if it was that big anyway)

I've wasted many hours of my life playing this game, and it's worth every penny. :D
Do you have any more info about those mini-mods? That sounds really interesting.

I joined a server running some sort of zombie mod and it looked like I was missing a bunch of resources (textures and models mostly).

Are there official content packs for garry's mod or do you just have to download these mods through the game servers?

BTW, I did buy it. I love the new interface. I have to say I was a little upset when I couldn't find any of the monstrously huge objects that are in Gmod 9. Like the huge smoke stacks. It was so awesome setting those things up with giant elastic bands in between them and making a 500 foot explosive powered slingshot to launch bodies or cars. :p

nekrosoft13
05-21-07, 09:53 AM

change the name and i will buy it

i'm not paying for a "mod"

six_storm
05-21-07, 10:34 AM
I've thought about purchasing Garry's Mod 10 before but I'm kinda tight on money right now. I remember playing GMod9 before and it was fun to fool around with. I've heard a lot that GMod10 is way easier to use and a lot more stable than any other release. Just what I heard though.

six_storm
05-21-07, 12:46 PM
Just bought GMod10, pretty fun stuff.

J-Mag
05-21-07, 12:57 PM
Just bought GMod10, pretty fun stuff.

LOL! FLIP FLOPPER!

You're missing a true calling as a politician.

six_storm
05-21-07, 01:00 PM
LOL! FLIP FLOPPER!

You're missing a true calling as a politician.

Haha. Yeah, I rebalanced my checkbook today and figured that I could afford to get a $10 game. :D

|MaguS|
05-21-07, 01:08 PM
Haha. Yeah, I rebalanced my checkbook today and figured that I could afford to get a $10 game. :D

Gasp! You gonna starve!

J-Mag
05-21-07, 01:17 PM

Checkbook? Don't you have online banking?

six_storm
05-21-07, 01:24 PM
Checkbook? Don't you have online banking?

Yes, I have that for checking balances and so on. I never write checks unless I do it for bills; everything else is for my debit card.

Back on topic, how do you get the character to realitically "hold" a weapon? In other words, how do you get the character to grasp their hand around a gun? I can't find info on this anywhere, I'm sure I'm not wording it right.

Digital_Trans
05-21-07, 01:29 PM
Question, what if you already own Half-Life 2 I have Garry's mod but version 9
So version 10 will cost $10.00? It's not free when you buy Half Life 2?

stncttr908
05-21-07, 01:41 PM
Question, what if you already own Half-Life 2 I have Garry's mod but version 9
So version 10 will cost $10.00? It's not free when you buy Half Life 2?
Correct. If you want version 10 you pay $10, regardless of what HL2 package you own. I would assume, however, that any further updates will be free of charge after purchase.

six_storm
05-21-07, 02:30 PM
Gasp! You gonna starve!

:udawg:

Good thing I'm at the parental's house and I can mooch off of them huh?

Anyone wanna answer my question? :D

Tygerwoody
05-21-07, 04:16 PM
I can't believe people are refusing to pay $10 for a VERY VERY high quality mod. IMO this mod is worth at least $30 and could easily be sold in stores.

Garry selling out? So, if you had a chance to make MONEY off of a HOBBY, you wouldn't do it? Please :rolleyes: . I'm very happy for this guy Garry. Alot of you should stop being jealous of others good fortune. Garry produced a quality product and was rewarded for it. I am failing to see the harm he did. For christ sakes he is still letting people use Garry's mod 9 for free! We all know he could have easily removed the free version and forced people to buy his product, but he didn't. Talk about a good man. I'm quite frankly ashamed at some of the people's responses in this thread.

For the record I own Garry's Mod 10. I don't play it anymore really, but it was well worth its purchase. The quality of it does not feel like a simple "mod". Its very good work. And to think this started out as a mod this guy made for FREE is absolutely amazing. If you enjoy Garry's Mod 9 in the SLIGHTEST bit, the upgrade to 10 is well worth the pocket change of $10.