PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 8600 random freezes/lockups

superklye
05-21-07, 09:43 AM
I've got an 8600 GT in my system currently and since yesterday I suddenly started having completely random freezes. The mouse would stop responding, sound would stop playing...it was a hard lockup that required holding down the power button until the machine was completely off and it happened EVERY time I booted back up into Windows.

I tried a number of different drivers, however nothing seemed to fix the problem. The lockups occur completely randomly; one time it happened on the login screen before I could even begin typing my password. Another time, the computer ran for almost 90 minutes before it locked up.

The AUX PEX power connector is not plugged in on my motherboard as after the first bootup, my PSU would just start emitting a two-beep warning without even allowing powerup. Apparently that's a well-known issue (or safety feature).

I don't believe this to be lack of power. I've got 1000W and nowhere near that kind of drain. Plus, my 8800 GTS SLI works beautifully and there were no problems UNTIL this card was put in.

I was thinking it might be faulty hardware, but wouldn't I get a BSOD instead of just the desktop freezing? Same thing if the card is clocked too high (it's at factory settings right now), correct? I considered lowering the stock clocks but haven't tried yet.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar and have any idea what it could be? I tried Googling a bit before work, but I've yet to find anything. :o

john19055
05-22-07, 07:01 AM
I would think you need that third 12v connector hooked up for stability problems ,plus make sure your driver supports all three cards,.I think I understand how you got it hooked upped ,you have two 8800GTS running in SLI and the 8600GT running in the middle slot.

superklye
05-22-07, 08:58 AM
No, I don't have the 8800 GTSs in my computer at all. It's just the 8600 GT. I don't know why/what changed, but the freezing problem seems to be gone now. I've had my computer on almost 15 hours now without a single freeze (knock on wood).

wollyka
05-22-07, 01:52 PM
strange indeed.. glad it is fixed!
i called those strange inexplicable problems the "Gremlin syndrome" lol

superklye
05-22-07, 03:53 PM
Maybe I fed it after midnight without realizing... :p

wollyka
05-22-07, 08:05 PM
Yep, that could also be the problem :p