PDA

View Full Version : No DX10 in Supreme Commander

jAkUp
05-21-07, 11:31 AM
Damn :( Still cool that they are making a graphical upgrade though.

As the patch rapidly approaches, many of our community members are wanting to know the status of Supcom and DX10. This is the word on this subject.

The opportunity to integrate DX10 came along very late in the development process for Supreme Commander. The window of opportunity was very narrow, but it was felt that if everything came together we could integrate this exciting jump forward into Supcom.

Despite the best efforts of our own team and our partners from Microsoft and Nvidia, the timing simply did not line up. The availability of DX10 hardware, final releases of Vista itself, and the solid drivers simply did not line up with the necessary time frames in our development cycle. Having missed that window, our dev team has focused on graphical improvements that will benefit a far wider audience than the still very small but growing segment of Vista users with DX10 compatible cards. Having missed that window, the resources necessary to integrate the tech do not make sense compared to what can be accomplished for that greateraudience.

Chris Taylor and GPG are rightly known for pushing the envelope of technology and innovation, integrating the latest technologies into GPG's games. While hindsight might make it clear that the time frames did not align to successfully integrate DX10 with Supreme Commander, it was felt that it was worth the shot we took.

The bottom line: Directx 10 support will not be patched into Supreme Commander or its expansion packs. GPG looks forward to integrating this exciting technology into future projects. We, like the rest of PC gaming community, are looking forward to the first DX10 games in the coming months.

OrangeBlast
05-21-07, 11:38 AM
Ghey. SC2 will pwn it anyway. Perhaps thats why they gave up?
:captnkill:

superklye
05-21-07, 11:43 AM
Hmm...depending on how much better this looks, I may have to reinstall.

Destroy
05-21-07, 12:39 PM
They probably quit the DX10 project cause it was running slower. Ha.

MowTin
05-21-07, 02:18 PM
Strange, I always thought this game with so many identical units on screen at the same time, was meant for dx10. I thought they had the dx10 version working all along and were just waiting to test and patch. Oh well.

I tried the demo and I realized this game is a LIFE KILLER (like WoW) so I passed.

I wonder if COH and FSX will do the same and give up on dx10. My guess it their attempts crash all the time for unknown reasons on nvidia cards. :)

superklye
05-21-07, 02:20 PM
That's why I removed it...games take epic amounts of time and I just can't afford that. :(

nekrosoft13
05-21-07, 04:15 PM
That's why I removed it...games take epic amounts of time and I just can't afford that. :(

i only play skirmishes or online

don't even bother with single player

superklye
05-21-07, 04:24 PM
i only play skirmishes or online

don't even bother with single player
I was talking about skirmishes. :o

Monolyth
05-21-07, 05:05 PM
Most people with these games think..."oh I have to turtle it, gotta stop the attacks". But once you get out of that mindset and actually attack first and keep attacking you will find just about every game goes faster even the really tough ones. Proper use of SC's queued construction & transport systems can keep an army in the fight at all times while you build those Mavor's & Nuke Silo's. :)

There's nothing more enjoyable then having someone say, "WTF" as 8 nukes hit them within a minute's time. And then another minute passes...oh look 8 more. :D

I love it when people turtle. :D

Madpistol
05-21-07, 06:21 PM
The first one is so damn addicting! I tried to play command and conquer: generals a few days ago, and Supreme Commander has spoiled me with it's ability to zoom out completely on the map... and the amount of strategies you can execute with this game is so overwhelming that I don't see myself getting bored with this game anytime soon.

If they're coming out with a 2nd installment, I will be getting it. I'm sorry to hear that DX10 won't be integrated, but it's not a big deal. The game is great just the way it is. ;)

... I just wish it wasn't so damn addicting. :(

MowTin
05-22-07, 11:49 AM
This game is not wife friendly.

Wives don't understand, "Wait, I'm in the middle of an important game."

I remember I was playing COH once and my wife wanted to talk to me. It's kind of hard talking to someone while frantically managing 20 units in combat so I asked her to wait till I was done. Well, the game dragged out for another hour and she got more and more pissed off. After a total of 2 hours the game was still not over. I had to quit because my wife had steam coming out her ears.

Every RTS game I try to play is the same way. They require 100% attention for 1 or more hours at a time.

lumpyhed
05-22-07, 11:59 AM
Thats why we have a Pause-Break button :p

nopp0x00
05-22-07, 01:54 PM
This game is not wife friendly.

Wives don't understand, "Wait, I'm in the middle of an important game."

I remember I was playing COH once and my wife wanted to talk to me. It's kind of hard talking to someone while frantically managing 20 units in combat so I asked her to wait till I was done. Well, the game dragged out for another hour and she got more and more pissed off. After a total of 2 hours the game was still not over. I had to quit because my wife had steam coming out her ears.

Every RTS game I try to play is the same way. They require 100% attention for 1 or more hours at a time.

What did she want you to do?

MowTin
05-22-07, 02:39 PM
What did she want you to do?

Well, from the warped female mind perspective it's "just a game" and she wanted me to quit. But had I quit my online ally would have been crushed by the German panzers endangering the entire war effort. :D

jAkUp
05-22-07, 02:54 PM
Thats why we have a Pause-Break button :p

There is no pause button on online matches :headexplode:

lumpyhed
05-22-07, 03:17 PM

i've never played an online game with any RTS so i spose i wouldnt know :captnkill:

superklye
05-22-07, 03:42 PM
I thought SupCom DID have a pause for online games...

MowTin
05-22-07, 04:05 PM
I thought SupCom DID have a pause for online games...

I don't know, I was talking about COH. I never played SupCom online.

But even with a pause button it's still not wife friendly. A wife friendly game is one you can quit as soon as you hear, "Honey, can you help me with...blah blah blah."

BF2142, TDU, LFS , etc I can just quit at the drop of a hat. Not so with SupCom and most RTS games.

Anyway, I thought SupCom's graphics were kinda ugly and I thought it would look better in DX10. Guess not.