PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion tips/tips?

ATOJAR
05-21-07, 01:38 PM
Ive been visiting these forums for quite some time now and over this time ive heard alot of good things about oblivion..... so i finally went out and bough it, i started playing today and up to now it seems like a very graphically beautiful game, very big world and a awful lot to take in it seems, im basically after tips/tricks ect on playing, fighting/combat, magic, races the world of oblivion in general .... just all round things people have picked up over there time while playing oblivion(NO CHEATS PLEASE)!

Im still really early on in the game(just left the sewers near the start)

Any advice on helping me do well through the rest of the game?

Thanks.

PTK1982
05-21-07, 03:59 PM
Fighter Block->couple hits->block so on...
Mage Invicibility->paralyze enemy->summon stormathronach->electricution->electricution-> and so on...
Thief Sneak attack with posoned arrow->run shoot enemeies that are coming behind you

(sorry i was going to give you longer version i writed it about half hour but web page lost my login status and BAM all text gone)(its ****ing annoying)
Maybe later when im not mood for strangle somebady bye

DRen72
05-21-07, 04:03 PM
First, I got the most out of the game after installing various mods. I don't use any cheat type mods only those I found to be realistic, such as the horse pack mod (once you aquire a horse) and of course the Qarl's Texture Pack addon along with the v1.2 patch. Those are must have's for fast PC's.

The game scales pretty well but honestly sometimes early on you have to avoid many of the bad guys just to stay alive. The tactic I used was to enhance my stealth and sneek skills first so that I could sneek through the dungeons and pilfer the goodies while not getting spotted. I also learned that in most cases where you are confronted with several bad guys at once, you can learn to pick them off one at a time by using arrows rather than the sword. Once you build up some strength you can start matching them with the sword. By the end of the game I had enough strength that I was basically a fighter type character and I never used spells anymore. I could easily take down anything that came my way. It takes time and patience but fortunately its fun getting there.

Destroy
05-21-07, 04:11 PM
Guess I would recommend you install mods of your preference. Vanilla Oblivion is rather dull and ugly as compared to a Mod'ed Oblivion.

Marti Monster mod is great for TONS more creatures you'll encounter.
I'd also put in Qarls texture packs, GUI mod and good mature leveling mod.

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 07:22 PM
Before I really get into the game again I'm going to be using some sort of plugin to change the monster leveling.

I'll probably go with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

Its just totally ridiculous how much of a negative impact raising your level has on fighting most enemies.

Arioch
05-21-07, 07:41 PM
If you are going to install any texture mods I would probably stay away from Qarl's Texture Pack 3 unless you are going to add an extra card or run at a lower resolution. It looks fantastic but puts a severe performance hit in frame rates and video memory usage.

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 07:56 PM
If you are going to install any texture mods I would probably stay away from Qarl's Texture Pack 3 unless you are going to add an extra card or run at a lower resolution. It looks fantastic but puts a severe performance hit in frame rates and video memory usage.
Yeah I'm thinking of going back to QTP 2. I swear that guy doesn't understand that huge repeating patterns in his super high res textures look like CRAP. It wasnt as bad in QTP 2, but this version has some really nasty ones. The road textures are the worst. It ends up looking like railroad tracks going off in the distance.

I don't understand how someone can put that much time into making textures without taking that kind of thing into account.

agentkay
05-21-07, 08:01 PM
Yeah I'm thinking of going back to QTP 2. I swear that guy doesn't understand that huge repeating patterns in his super high res textures look like CRAP. It wasnt as bad in QTP 2, but this version has some really nasty ones. The road textures are the worst. It ends up looking like railroad tracks going off in the distance.

Time to use the DoF mod, eh? :lol: Nah Iīm kidding but when I tried QTP3 the patterns didnīt look that bad to me, actually much less than default Oblivion and the performance hit was not noticable either but I guess thats because I played only at 1280x1024.

CaptNKILL
05-21-07, 08:10 PM
Time to use the DoF mod, eh? :lol: Nah Iīm kidding but when I tried QTP3 the patterns didnīt look that bad to me, actually much less than default Oblivion and the performance hit was not noticable either but I guess thats because I played only at 1280x1024.
Don't get me wrong, the majority of the textures look great, it just seems like they threw some really nasty ones in there to show off how nice they could make something look up close (ie, staring straight down at the ground).

The road textures in this version are totally out of place though. It looks like huge round stones but since its a flat texture it just looks strange. On top of that, they have pretty nasty patterns in them (especially when the sun makes the normal-map have patterns too).

Arioch
05-21-07, 08:11 PM
The good outweighs the bad on TPIII for me and this is one of the reasons I went SLI. The new LOD shader is great so I can free up video memory by not having to use those anymore - I do use Koldorn's LOD noise replacer to make it look more natural though.

ynnek
05-21-07, 08:21 PM
whatever you do, do not strive to get 100% chameleon.. You'll essentially break the game when you do this, because at 100+ chameleon, npc don't even respond to you, its literally like you don't exist in the game... Nothing like figuring out after a bunch of hours, your end build breaks the game mechanics..

ATOJAR
05-22-07, 01:46 AM
Well up to now i have the Wilderness Creatures List Mod and the Natural Environments mod, looking pretty good, anymore mod recommendation's?

t3hl33td4rg0n
05-22-07, 11:01 AM
Yeah, theres a good landscape LOD mod.

http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=2182

Screenshots: http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape%20LOD%20Texture%20Replacement-2.jpg

http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape%20LOD%20Texture%20Replacement-7.jpg

And the beautiful people mod. Allows for much better customizing of characters and adds a couple races as well. The new hair and eyes are really kuul.

http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=5175#gallery

Screenshots:
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Beautiful%20People-3.jpg

http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Beautiful%20People-4.jpg

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-27-07, 12:21 PM
well i need help iīm stuck in Oblivion

Anyone been inside the nenalata dungeon. There is a set of stairs pretty far in which are controlled remotely... anyone know how to activate them?

Surely something obvious but cant find it!

can ya guys help out?