PDA

View Full Version : Weird CD-ROM and DVD-RW problem

ralinn
05-21-07, 03:59 PM
Hey guys,

Recently I was in vista and I couldn't get nero working for some reason. I only needed to burn a bit of data to a DVD so I tried out the burning feature in Vista. About 1/3 the way through the burn process, it said there was an issue with the media, I turned to see it actually ejected the DVD early. Not sure why it done this, as I was away from the PC at the time.

Anyway, I popped another DVD in and tried again, but this time it wouldn't detect my drive at all. I rebooted the PC and noticed that it wasn't being picked up in the BIOS either. Here's the weird part. BOTH MY DRIVES WERE GONE. My CD-ROM had also disappeared along with my DVD-RW.

I booted into XP with the exact same issue... no CD-ROM or DVD-RW. If I boot into Vista, it'll pick up my DVD-RW & CD-ROM(and also says a DVD project needs to be burnt) for a couple of of seconds, then it'll disappear. The 'reading' LED on the front of the DVD-RW is constantly on now.

Things I've tried:

Removing the IDE cables, checking if everything is ok, and then reinserting them. Nothing's wrong there.

Updating BIOS for Motherboard

I've also tried this fix: http://www.randomfix.com/2007/04/12/windows-vista-%E2%80%93-missing-cddvd-rom-drive/ with no luck :(

Any ideas? Anyone ever heard of Vista killing a CD-ROM or DVD-RW (if that's what has happened)?

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

russ

ralinn
05-22-07, 03:22 PM
Wow... well... not really my day is it :(

CaptNKILL
05-22-07, 04:04 PM
Did you try just having one drive plugged in?

Maybe the burner toasted itself and is interfering with everything on that IDE channel.

I've never heard of anything like what you described though. Ever.

If you ever hear about this happening again in Vista (or god forbid, it happens to you again in Vista) make sure to email MS about it.

Its most likely a simple case of hardware failure, but its hard to say exactly. Thats really strange.

Did you get Nero running at all in Vista? If so, is there any chance that it had the drive eject while the Vista burning software was writing to the disk? I imagine that could screw some things up pretty badly.

ralinn
05-23-07, 08:12 AM
Not tried it with one drive, no. I'll give it a shot when I get back from work :)

Cheers,
russ

ralinn
05-26-07, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your time and suggestions CaptNKILL, I gave them a go. Sadly nothing has worked though. My BIOS doesn't pick them up at all. I guess I can understand Vista bricking my DVD-RW (kind of...), but my CD-ROM as well? What did it ever do?

Bearclaw
05-26-07, 01:38 PM
Ya, just like CapnKill, I have never heard of such a thing.

Kayden
05-27-07, 01:45 PM
I would put good money on that your IDE cable is hosed but it could also be your ide controller is fried on that channel. Try changing the cable and if no go put it on ide channel 1 (I'm assuming you put your hdds on channel 1 and the roms on channel 2) on the mobo to see if the bios can see it on boot if not then put a hdd on channel 2 and if it sees it than it would be dvdrom and cdrom got bricked from something on that channel and I wouldn't use it again. Though I haven't heard of this exact issue of it not being detected I have heard of star force doing this to a burner before and it normally makes it so you can no longer burn anything and windows will only see it as cdrom but nothing like this. I think its the cable & hopefully it isn't the ide controller.

XDanger
05-27-07, 08:18 PM
Vista is doing strange things to my ide dvdrw ,have to disable/re-enable the controller to get the drive back ,ive ordered a sata dvdrw.