PDA

View Full Version : AA in Ghost Recon AW

sergef
05-21-07, 05:34 PM
Hye,

I can't force AA from the CP. only the ingame AA works which is crappp.
8800GTS 640MB
driver: 158.18
win vista 32
I installed the latest patch I found v1.35

help......

jAkUp
05-21-07, 05:34 PM
You cannot. GR uses deferred rendering.

sergef
05-21-07, 05:38 PM
:headexplode: :headexplode:

agentkay
05-21-07, 06:23 PM
Possible once the engine has a DX10 path. ;) (not the case with GRAW1)

Demanufakture
05-21-07, 07:08 PM
The game is not going to have DX10 path. It's DX9 only. I was in the beta. AA with deferred lighting with multiple render targets is just not a playable option. DX10 would fix this, but they aren't going to make the engine DX10.

agentkay
05-21-07, 07:20 PM
Thats why I said "not the case with GRAW1". :thinker: Maybe he didnīt know that future games with DX10 and deferred rendering will be able to support AA, so I decided to pass along that info. ;) The chances are pretty low that even GRAW2 (PC version) will have a DX10 rendering path.

kevJ420
05-21-07, 07:21 PM
The game is not going to have DX10 path. It's DX9 only. I was in the beta. AA with deferred lighting with multiple render targets is just not a playable option. DX10 would fix this, but they aren't going to make the engine DX10.

AA w/ deferred lighting is not possible due to inability to calculate msaa positions. It would be playable in terms of frame rate if it were possible, but the ROPs can't do it.

I'm not going to say my personal remedy to the problem, b/c I'll get flamed.

agentkay
05-21-07, 07:24 PM
I heard RGSS cures cancer as well. :p j/k dude ;)

Demanufakture
05-21-07, 08:52 PM
This thread doesn't belong in the forceware section. Shouldn't it be in the gaming forum?

Demanufakture
05-21-07, 08:58 PM
Thats why I said "not the case with GRAW1". :thinker: Maybe he didnīt know that future games with DX10 and deferred rendering will be able to support AA, so I decided to pass along that info. ;) The chances are pretty low that even GRAW2 (PC version) will have a DX10 rendering path.

I did say DX10 would fix the problem didn't I? Thanks for repeating what I said.:rolleyes: As for the chances of the game having DX10, there are zero chances of that. The game is nearly done and uses the same engine(GRIN's Diesel Engine V.6)as the orginal GRAW which is good because people can expect GRAW2 to perform on their rigs as well or in my case better than the original GRAW.;)

JaylumX
05-22-07, 04:55 AM

I remember a while ago there was a flux of games using Direct X 8 features that couldn't use AA because it used "render to texture" technique which due to a limitation with DX8 was incompatible with AA (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia:SOT, Need for Speed Underground - to name a few) and the only way of "fixing" the issue was to use a Direct X 9 code path. Now i am hearing that Direct X 9 has a limitation with Deferred rendering and AA and the only fix is a Direct X 10 code path - Ironical isn't it......or maybe the IHV are giving us punter a good seeing to. :D

agentkay
05-22-07, 05:58 AM
I did say DX10 would fix the problem didn't I? Thanks for repeating what I said.:rolleyes:

And what have I said in post no.4 that I refered on? :headexplode:

HiCZoK4
05-22-07, 12:39 PM
with 1.35 works great for me. after installing patch you get smooth edges option in settings

newparad1gm
05-22-07, 12:58 PM
That edge-smoothing option is not true AA, its just a post-process blur filter that blurs everything in an attempt to soften the jagged edges. The only problem is that it blurs everything else so you get textures that don't look as sharp.

kevJ420
05-22-07, 05:39 PM
I remember a while ago there was a flux of games using Direct X 8 features that couldn't use AA because it used "render to texture" technique which due to a limitation with DX8 was incompatible with AA (Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia:SOT, Need for Speed Underground - to name a few) and the only way of "fixing" the issue was to use a Direct X 9 code path. Now i am hearing that Direct X 9 has a limitation with Deferred rendering and AA and the only fix is a Direct X 10 code path - Ironical isn't it......or maybe the IHV are giving us punter a good seeing to. :D

Not exactly.

Any SS mode would work. I used an ss mode when I had the geforce fx and it worked, there was a difference, not a huge difference due to the ordered grid pattern, but it AA'd prince of persia sands of time nonetheless.

This post was not meant to start a flame war, I've seen and done this first hand.

kevJ420
05-22-07, 05:40 PM
That edge-smoothing option is not true AA, its just a post-process blur filter that blurs everything in an attempt to soften the jagged edges. The only problem is that it blurs everything else so you get textures that don't look as sharp.

I wish everyone realised that.

That's going to be the way future games are aa'd if ****ty shader aa takes over.