PDA

View Full Version : Chosing new monitor and getting HDD to STFU

SOAD
05-22-07, 08:07 AM
Bit of an economical thread here :D

I have few niggling problems I would like some help with.

The first one is probably the most important.

I have recently become semi fixated with having a quiet pc and have basically achieved this. However my HDD is INCREDIBLY noisy (seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200.10 16mb cache). Hell when I turn the pc Its like a jet powering down.

Is there anything I can do to quieten it? I had windows reinstalled but makes no difference. Is it my case? Cheers.

Damn HDD, brought it because people said it was quiet. :thumbdwn:

Next thing is my monitor. I currently have a Dell 2407wfp Rev A04. I am thinking about getting a 47" LCD (maybe different size). I have seen one for 1700 Euros and it does 1080p. Will this look more impressive than my current one in terms of movie watching, game playing and internet scrolling.

Is it worth it or will I be loosing out.

Will the picture quality be good. Does it matter which brand? I will be hooking it up via 8800GTX and once every blue moon (literally) a xbox and maybe a ps2

thanks very much in advance guys.

EDIT: TOSHIBA REGZA 47" FREEVIEW 47WLT66 this is the one im looking at. Does anyone know if it is any good and he price to pay (and european dudes here?)

Active Vision WXGA LCD TV
* Built-In Digital Tuner for Freeview
* HD Ready (Full HD 1080)
* Nicam Stereo with SRS WOW
* 1920 x 1080 Pixel Resolution
* High Brightness & Contrast
* 3D Digital Comb Filter
* Digital Noise Reduction
* Progressive Scan
* 2 x HDMI Connection
* Table Top Pedestal Stand Included
* Boxed/Remote Control/ Manuals

The connections are:

2x HDMI (dunno what they are for )
Component video
2x scart socket
1xRGB port
there is a vga slot....
front side av input
headphones

1920 x 1080
550 cd/mē
800:1
16:9 (Widescreen)

has progressive scan

Viral
05-22-07, 08:22 AM
Ummm, a 47" LCD that does 1080P will not give anywhere near the quality of a 2407wfp because of the massive increase in dot pitch. You will not want to be viewing it from a distance of less than 5 feet - like any TV. I'd stick with the 2407wfp, at least for use as a monitor.

Not sure about the hard drive, Seagates have traditionally always been known as the quieter of the big brands. Maybe this has changed, maybe something else is wrong, maybe it's just your perception.

jcrox
05-22-07, 08:34 AM
Ummm, a 47" LCD that does 1080P will not give anywhere near the quality of a 2407wfp because of the massive increase in dot pitch. You will not want to be viewing it from a distance of less than 5 feet - like any TV. I'd stick with the 2407wfp, at least for use as a monitor.

If you sit within 5 ft of a 47" TV on a regular basis...you wont have to worry about image quality for long..you'll be blind lol.

SOAD
05-22-07, 08:34 AM
Hmm. I sit quite close to my screens..... Are the pixels really that big?

Also I am certain it is not me. The HDD is sooooo loud.

Could it be the case vibrating? I lifted the HDD out and held it. Still mad ethe same noise. :(

JayG30
05-22-07, 09:59 AM
If you sit within 5 ft of a 47" TV on a regular basis...you wont have to worry about image quality for long..you'll be blind lol.

I thought you might find this interesting.
http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
According to THX standards, to have the lowest allowable degree viewing angle of 26, you would have to sit 7.4 feet away form a 47" wide screen. To achieve the optimal degree viewing angle of 36 you would have to sit 5.3 feet from the screen. And to meet the SMPTE recommended angle of 30 degrees (SMPTE is a highly used broadcasting standard) you should sit 6.4 feet away. But I do find it funny that most people think those distances are to close. Check out AVS forums and you'll see people recommend sitting a LOT closer then that even. It won't make you go blind.:) I will admit that sitting that close to standard broadcast can be rather underwhelming though, because of the large screen and low amount of pixels. But for HD content, DVD's, and thing like that it's awesome.

Of course this is for movies and television, not really computing. I would have to say I wouldn't want to use a traditional LCD TV display as a monitor. Most LCD's designed for TV have horrible pixelation. Honestly I'm not a big fan of LCD TV's for any use. Horrific black levles, pixelation, contrast, etc. make them some of the worst TV's among video enthusiasts. If I absolutely had to get one for a monitor it would be a Westinghouse since they really aren't designed to be televisions. LCD monitors are not the same as LCD televisions!

JayG30
05-22-07, 10:07 AM

Could it be the case vibrating? I lifted the HDD out and held it. Still mad ethe same noise. :(

When an HDD is not being accessed it shouldn't be making any noise really. Are you on a fresh install? No viruses, malware, spyware, etc. that might be causing your HDD to be constantly seeking information? How old and what type of HDD?

If it is brand new I would suggest returning it or bringing it to someone who can tell if there is damage. A HDD will make much more noise when it's starting to go bad. And that constant grinding will only shorten its life. I have a 250GB 3.0 Gb/s SATA Western Digital here that I picked up on the very very low end of the market and it makes no noise when not being accessed. You will get some resonance noise when it is accessing the data but no where near the level of noise your describing. If your told that it's just how that drive is, I would suggest getting something else.

Rakeesh
05-22-07, 08:25 PM

Works fine for me.

Thats a myth actually. So is the idea that reading in the dark causes blindness. Sex doesn't cause it either, but clamydia can.

The only way to go blind by looking at something is by staring at bright or intense light sources such as the sun or a laser pointer. Then you'll burn your retinas.

FWIW I sit about 5' away from my 47". I got rid of my computer desk and replaced it with a rolling tray that I put my keyboard and mouse on top of. Works great.

XDanger
05-29-07, 02:48 PM
Try to make sure there is no metal touching the hdd apart from the screws, That means no metal touching the screws also.

Its a shame hdd's cant be floated on magnets

nekrosoft13
05-29-07, 02:58 PM

made in China??

Trademark
05-29-07, 04:59 PM
Got 2 of those HDD's in RAID, they make no noise. Compared to my maxtor, the seagates are angels