PDA

View Full Version : Building a shopping cart

DiscipleDOC
05-22-07, 05:18 PM
I am looking into building a web page to accept credit cards and paypal accounts. I want to be able to itemize things so that a customer can insert items into a shopping cart. Are there any "howto's" on getting this up and running? Thanks for the help.

superklye
05-22-07, 05:26 PM
If you want, I can just do it for you.

My prices start at $10,000 USD

DiscipleDOC
05-22-07, 07:39 PM
If you want, I can just do it for you.

My prices start at $10,000 USD
You're just trying to get enough money to buy Venturi's pc! :p

ViN86
05-23-07, 12:11 AM
the way i would do it... (cheap and quick, like Gib's mom :bleh:)

1. MySQL database to store info on products
2. PHP front to display data, and you can store the cart contents in either a cookie or in a session variable

idk how to make the credit card/paypal thing... sorry :o
im just learing MySQL and PHP, so feel free to check out my thread in here for some noob mistakes and info. also, ill probably be posting my code eventually to prevent malicious scripts from being run.

gl. also, what is this for? (if you dont mind me askin)

t3hl33td4rg0n
05-23-07, 12:40 AM
You can use sessions to store basic information of logged in users with accounts and a MySQL db for storing cart data. Its been so long since I made my first (and only) primitive cart. I learned the concept from macromedias site had little tutorials on stuff. It might still be laying around somewhere on adobes site. I think it was called "persistant shopping cart", but i modified it to not use cookies.

You may also want to check www.devshed.com - they have tons of PHP tutorials.

Theres also a shopping cart extension for dreamweaver if you want to go that route. Its called WA eCart; its a full featured cart.

DiscipleDOC
05-23-07, 10:15 AM
the way i would do it... (cheap and quick, like Gib's mom :bleh:)

1. MySQL database to store info on products
2. PHP front to display data, and you can store the cart contents in either a cookie or in a session variable

idk how to make the credit card/paypal thing... sorry :o
im just learing MySQL and PHP, so feel free to check out my thread in here for some noob mistakes and info. also, ill probably be posting my code eventually to prevent malicious scripts from being run.

gl. also, what is this for? (if you dont mind me askin)
I'm going to start doing some websites for a few places, and they are going to pay me to push their product online. I want to do everything from scratch, and I need to learn some php and mySQL in order to cut down the cost of paying a programmer to do some things...

fivefeet8
05-23-07, 11:59 AM
I'm going to start doing some websites for a few places, and they are going to pay me to push their product online. I want to do everything from scratch, and I need to learn some php and mySQL in order to cut down the cost of paying a programmer to do some things...

There are many pre-scripted php/mysql shopping carts out there. If you're only a beginning php/mysql programmer, I wouldn't recommend a shopping cart as your first project. There are many things to consider including security of all credit card transactions to and from the site. It will probably involve some type of SSL encryption to be enabled on the server for the site.

evilghost
05-23-07, 12:29 PM
There are many pre-scripted php/mysql shopping carts out there. If you're only a beginning php/mysql programmer, I wouldn't recommend a shopping cart as your first project. There are many things to consider including security of all credit card transactions to and from the site. It will probably involve some type of SSL encryption to be enabled on the server for the site.

+1

Not to mention if you're storing any customer data in the database it should be strongly encrypted and secure. Also all of your code should be very secure and not allow for CSRF, XSS, SQL inection, etc.

It's a huge undertaking and something I would even think twice about before entertaining.

ViN86
05-23-07, 03:04 PM
yes. most sites that allow online credit card transactions have crazy security measures.

evilghost
05-23-07, 03:09 PM
You'll need to be PCI (Payment Card Industry (PCI) Compliance) compliant too which is big.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/tech/download_the_pci_dss.htm