PDA

View Full Version : Latest Drivers with Functioning Video Playback?

theriverlethe
05-22-07, 04:47 PM
See title.

loafer87gt
05-22-07, 06:11 PM
It depends what card you are running. I know that Nvidia removed video playback in the 8800 series (not too sure if it is an architectural limitation or a driver decision), but full screen video still works on my older 6800 GT card using the 81.XX series forceware drivers. Some people have said that if you do some registry editing and other hacking you can try and get video playback working on the 8800, but out of the box there is no way that I no of to playback fullscreen video on a TV,for example.

theriverlethe
05-22-07, 07:46 PM
I should've clarified...
I was simply referring to working hardware-accelerated MPEG playback, for example. It works again with the 160.03's, but I just got a black screen with the 158.22's, that are remarkably WHQL'd, now. This just further supports my belief that WHQL is totally worthless.

SLippe
05-23-07, 12:36 AM
I should've clarified...
I was simply referring to working hardware-accelerated MPEG playback, for example. It works again with the 160.03's, but I just got a black screen with the 158.22's, that are remarkably WHQL'd, now. This just further supports my belief that WHQL is totally worthless.
Actually, they are not WHQL, as almost everyone who has installed them it still pops up saying they are non-WHQL. As for playback, not sure what the problem is, but I'm able to play all kinds of video, fullscreen or otherwise, on my 8800GTS using the May 17th 158.22 drivers. If you are talking about Windows Media Player, try setting the option to Overlay or High Quality Mode, mess with those. If you've installed DX lately, just reboot and mess with them again. My WinTV showed black after installing DX for a new game, but after reboot, it worked again. Even Quicktime HD works!

fivefeet8
05-23-07, 01:58 AM
It depends what card you are running. I know that Nvidia removed video playback in the 8800 series (not too sure if it is an architectural limitation or a driver decision), but full screen video still works on my older 6800 GT card using the 81.XX series forceware drivers. Some people have said that if you do some registry editing and other hacking you can try and get video playback working on the 8800, but out of the box there is no way that I no of to playback fullscreen video on a TV,for example.

I can play back videos fine in Full Screen on my HD TV. The only thing missing from the 8800 cards is H.264 hardware decoding. MPEG2(DVD) and WMV(VC-1) hardware decoding has always worked.

loafer87gt
05-23-07, 02:10 AM
Can I ask how you went about gettng the full screen video to work on your TV? When I try to play something back, it is like the video card is no longer detecting I am trying to play a movie file and just plays the movie in a window on my desktop. On my old 6800GT, there was an "enable VMR" mode that detected when a movie was launched, and played the file back fullscreen on my television. I can't find this option anywhere on my newer 8800GTX.

fivefeet8
05-23-07, 11:07 AM
Can I ask how you went about gettng the full screen video to work on your TV? When I try to play something back, it is like the video card is no longer detecting I am trying to play a movie file and just plays the movie in a window on my desktop. On my old 6800GT, there was an "enable VMR" mode that detected when a movie was launched, and played the file back fullscreen on my television. I can't find this option anywhere on my newer 8800GTX.

Depends on how your displays are setup. Is it setup as dual view with both displays attached? Clone? Or simply horizontal span?

Usually when I setup my displays to Horizontal Span or Dual View, there is a Full Screen Video option in the advanced display options. There it lets me choose which display will get full screen.

"Enable VMR" was an option in the PureVideo MPEG2 Decoder. There is also an option for it in Windows Media Player.

loafer87gt
05-23-07, 02:06 PM
Tried this again, and still no option for full screen video or any VMR enable tab. Even using the old style control panel, this feature has been removed. Maybe some of the early 8800 had the hardware responsbile for TV disabled?

scottz
05-23-07, 08:07 PM
My understanding is that Nvidia is leaving that up to the player now and only handling the acceleration via DXVA/DXVA2 (which is handled at the codec level).

You can test it with Players like Media Player Classic and the Windows version of KMPlayer and set it to VMR9 or other render options.

As far as WMP or other players, no idea. Commercial players like WinDVD and PowerDVD and such I haven't messed around with in awhile.

sharangad
05-24-07, 02:14 PM
I can play back videos fine in Full Screen on my HD TV. The only thing missing from the 8800 cards is H.264 hardware decoding. MPEG2(DVD) and WMV(VC-1) hardware decoding has always worked.

The 8800 GTX just like some GF6 and all GF7 cards come with partialH.264 assist. However you need a player which supports this DXVA mode like the nVidia build of PowerDVD 6, PowerDVD 7 deluxe or PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra. Certain bulds of Nero Ultimate and WinDVD 8 also support it.