PDA

View Full Version : Jack Thompson Lays His Legal Sights On Halo 3

nekrosoft13
05-22-07, 04:53 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to check your inbox. Miami attorney and anti-game activist Jack Thompson was back at it again today. It seems Mr. Thompson is taking issue with the pending release of Microsoft's Halo 3 game, currently being enjoyed by 360 owners everywhere with its multiplayer beta.

Thompson forwarded Game Almighty a copy of the following letter supposedly sent along to Microsoft Chairman, Bill Gates:

Bill Gates

Microsoft Corporation

Redmond, Washington

Re: Halo 3

Dear Mr. Gates:

As you know, the Federal Trade Commission has repeatedly found that games rated “Mature” by the video game industry-captured Entertainment Software Rating Board are routinely sold to kids under the age of 17 despite the age rating. The most recent failure rate of the ratings on “Mature” games, according to the FTC, is 42%. The entire rating system is a fraud, and “broken,” the latter description aptly provided by Senator Hillary Clinton.

As you also know, Lee Boyd Malvo trained on Microsoft’s Halo to further enable him to become the remarkably efficient “DC Beltway Sniper.” That was reported by NBC News at the time and was noted in Malvo’s criminal trial.

You appeared on CBS’ 60 Minutes II and rather revealing and usefully noted that “the cool thing about these games is that they transport you to a world you think is real.” Precisely. Capcom has recently disclosed to investors that your video game industry’s violent games, sold to children, pose a real hazard to the health of the industry. Right on.

The hyperviolent Microsoft Xbox 360 game Halo 3 is scheduled by your company for commercial release in September of this year. The Beta version that was released last week shows us all just how violent the game is and how inappropriate it is for play by anyone under 17, as the “Mature” rating it will surely receive indicates.

Here’s the deal, Mr. Gates: Either Microsoft undertakes dramatic, real steps, through its marketing, wholesale, and retail operations to assure that Halo 3 is not sold, via the Internet and in stores, directly to anyone under 17, or I shall proceed to make sure that Microsoft is held to that standard by appropriate legal means. I have done that before successfully as to Best Buy, and I shall do so again as to Microsoft and all retailers of Halo 3.

Regards, Jack Thompson

So, having been essentially barred from threatening to sue Take Two over its games, it would seem that Thompson has set his legal sites on another big fish: Microsoft. So, will Thompson follow through on his latest legal threats? And if he does, how will Microsoft respond? We'll keep you posted on how (and if) things continue to develop.

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Jack_Thompson_Lays_His_Legal_Sites_on_Halo_3/

Burner_Tbird2
05-22-07, 05:03 PM
Since when is the game producer liable for who their game is sold to...

Yet another JT letter, starts with coercion and ends with empty threats.

I don't think he'd be happy even if he shut-down the entire industry, he'd just move onto art or science or whatever else he doesn't grasp :rolleyes:

agentkay
05-22-07, 05:20 PM
That dude is one presistent son of a bitch. I wonder who pays him, if he asks for donations or if he´s using his own money.

Acid Rain
05-22-07, 05:23 PM
LOL at Jack Thompson. Yeah, go ahead and sue Microsoft you asshole. Dumbass.

grey_1
05-22-07, 05:26 PM
He's claiming Capcom says video games are violent now? Or just 360 video games? How many times has this clown been shut down? Lol, I so want to see Gates step on this guy.

kevJ420
05-22-07, 05:39 PM
Like I've said before, I think I'm capable of getting a JD, solely b/c of Jack Thompson. If I do, then I will be there to stop Jack Thompsonuvabitch in every way, free of charge to anyone.

I wonder if Sen. Clinton is going to disown Jacky Tee like the Christian Coalition did.

That's what has gotten me most psyched about this.

Wolfhound
05-22-07, 05:48 PM
Nice, more nyanya for this stupid guy, has he sons?, if not, I think that chemical castration will be well used with him.Halo 3 "hyperviolent" :lol: if he´s going to sue microsoft he´ll better had tons of money.

|MaguS|
05-22-07, 05:57 PM
MS would own his ass...

kevJ420
05-22-07, 06:03 PM
He's claiming Capcom says video games are violent now? Or just 360 video games? How many times has this clown been shut down? Lol, I so want to see Gates step on this guy.

I hope capcom didn't really say that. Capcom should be proud to sell their violent games to anyone they damn well please. I really hope they aren't the type to deny youngsters the right to buy m or ao rated games.

That would be the death of me.

It bothered the hell out of me when Tom Zito said that LIEberman was one of his five essentials. Even though LIEberman effectively boosted the sales of Night Trap, his intentions were to hurt the game industry.

It's always bothered me when game companies give in to Thompsonuvabitch and the feds.

slick
05-22-07, 07:00 PM
Jack Thompson is good at what he does. He gets all kinds of publicity for his crusade against video games. I'm almost certain that this isn't going to work, and he probably is too, but hey, it gets him in the news, and that's all he really cares about.

kev13dd
05-22-07, 07:36 PM
I don't get it- Microsoft? Really? He's attacking a company with more resources to battle him than any other- and they'd do it just for the publicity even if they were wrong most likey

Cigarettes are sold to kids all the time and this guy is fighting video games based on only 1 case? Lordy...

K

grey_1
05-22-07, 07:42 PM
I don't get it- Microsoft? Really? He's attacking a company with more resources to battle him than any other- and they'd do it just for the publicity even if they were wrong most likey

Cigarettes are sold to kids all the time and this guy is fighting video games based on only 1 case? Lordy...

K
Lol, QFT!

NaitoSan
05-22-07, 08:26 PM

K
Hahaha so true.

Buenamos
05-22-07, 09:19 PM

I hate jack thompson as much as you guys do, but there's a big difference between someone smoking a cigarette and someone shooting people. You see it as he's fighting video games, he views it as fighting combat training. God jack is a dumbass...

|MaguS|
05-22-07, 09:22 PM
I hate jack thompson as much as you guys do, but there's a big difference between someone smoking a cigarette and someone shooting people. You see it as he's fighting video games, he views it as fighting combat training. God jack is a dumbass...

Then why not go after the firing ranges that have human shaped targets, or Martial Arts schools or even sports... theirs more reports of poeple who have done the above getting introuble with the law then all the claims of claims of games causing the problem.

kev13dd
05-22-07, 09:40 PM
... what?

Every single cigarette smoked is 100%* guarenteed to put tar and other dangerous chemicals into your body. Even if it's only a tiny bit, every single one does damage. Not to mention addiction and such

VIDEO GAMES on the other hand, don't. Millions, nay, BILLIONS have played video games and not shot a soul

And ya, you can go on and on about video game causes more violence than just shooting people, and you'll have people responding that video games act as an outlet, not training, and that people who become violent from video games would have become violent no matter what. There's arguments for both sides

BUT REGARDLESS of the arguments, there are still going to be millions upon millions of people who play video games and don't become violent. You can't say that there are millions of cigarettes that didn't cause negative effects. 100%* of cigarettes are bad, .01% usage of video games is bad. You're right- there is a big difference between the two. I'm not argueing that anyone should be able to play whatever video games they want with whatever content is in it- that's what the rating system is for. But for Jack to argue that the enforcement of video game ratings is more important (not to mention resource wasting) than enforcing cigarette laws? Ya, great to have people in the world with those sorts of priorities

K

P.s. Sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying about the comparison

*100% might not be exact for anyone who wants to call me on some technical loophole (such as sugar cigarettes that are only meant to look like the real ones! or some disease where tar is the only thing that will save you) but it's darn near close to 100%

Mr. Hunt
05-22-07, 10:01 PM
He should target Capcom because Dead Rising is teaching our children to walk like zombies and rip other peoples guts out with your bare hands... THIS MUST BE STOPPED!

RAY16
05-22-07, 10:11 PM
He should target Capcom because Dead Rising is teaching our children to walk like zombies and rip other peoples guts out with your bare hands... THIS MUST BE STOPPED!

Either that or it teaches people to go on killing rampages during Halloween. I imagine lots of people dress up as zombies during that time.

kevJ420
05-22-07, 10:58 PM
I wish Jack Thompsonuvabitch started smoking 3 packs of unfiltered fags/day when he was 6.

8800gtsfan
05-22-07, 11:20 PM
Pro sports are violent - why doesn't he try to get the NHL to shutdown - wouldn't want our kids to see real people actually fighting. *GASP*, maybe real violence is too much for JT, he seems to prefer training in the virtual world. I bet he has an unlimited supply of blow up dolls he trains with in his virtual world.

ViN86
05-22-07, 11:28 PM
MS would own his ass...
lol seriously. this guy must think a lot of himself if he actually thinks he can take on MS's legal team :rofl

ive decided....

im going to the NFL next year, cause i trained on Madden 2007, and i know the plays and the formations. i mean, im sure the rumble feature on the controller will prepare me to get tackled by 300 lb men!

im also going to go to the NBA next year. i made a player, and my player beat Lebron James. i mean, im freakin awesome! i think ill be drafted soon. my skills are so good, i can play football and basketball at the same time!

pro baseball seems like a good hobby to take up in my spare time. i can hit a fastball from Roger Clemens, and any other pitcher in the league. also, i didnt make any errors last virtual season. ill definitely be pro next year!

**** YOU JACK THOMPSON. YOUR LOGIC IS ABOUT AS GOOD AS A ONE LEGGED MAN IN AN ASS KICKING CONTEST.

Madpistol
05-23-07, 12:01 AM
Who the hell does this guy think he is??? He's trying to take on the largest corporate entity in existance because he thinks Microsoft is deliberately marketing this game to the younger audiences??? His logic is so far gone that giving condoms to bunnies seems like a good idea!

Some just needs to slap this guy and say "SHUT THE F**K UP B***H!!!" :rolleyes:

kevJ420
05-23-07, 01:26 AM
Pro sports are violent - why doesn't he try to get the NHL to shutdown - wouldn't want our kids to see real people actually fighting. *GASP*, maybe real violence is too much for JT, he seems to prefer training in the virtual world. I bet he has an unlimited supply of blow up dolls he trains with in his virtual world.

He prefers people to get killed in real life than he does for people to play video games.

It's almost as ****ed up as Joe I. LIEberman I-CT being the biggest supporter of the iraq war and thinking games are worse than the iraq war.

People like JL and Thompsonuvabitch are so ****ing convoluted.

If Jack Thompson went to congress he'd probably win, but hopefully the courts will continue to remain smarter than the majority congress.

It just pisses me off, b/c neither video games, nor bill gates is trying to hurt anyone. They're only trying to do good in this world.

They're just trying to make "electronic fun for everyone" as eurocom would say.

Like I said, I'm most interested in knowing if senator clinton will dishone him.

But al gore's going to come in at the Democrats' 11th hour and save the party, but possibly not the nation, from obscurity.

Only Dr. Ron Paul could save the nation, but so many people in the U.S. don't really care if everything is censored, or if no one has any freedom, so he's not going to win. He's a great man and he always will be.