PDA

View Full Version : Gothic 4 Announced!

|MaguS|
05-22-07, 08:53 PM
Jowood has announced plans for Gothic 4 and that it will also be available on Consoles aswell as the PC ending the exclusitivity that the PC has had on the series.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/790/790841p1.html

Today JoWood let the world know they're in the process of "promising negotiations" with a new developer for Gothic 4. The long-running action RPG series' development had previously been handled by Pluto 13, also known as Pirahna Bytes, a company apparently now left out in the cold. There was no mention as to who the prospective new developers could be, so there's no real release window for this one yet. For now, Gothic 4 is planned as a console and PC project, a shift from the series' previous PC exclusivity.

nekrosoft13
05-22-07, 09:21 PM
wow, and Gothic III still needs a lot of patching

|MaguS|
05-22-07, 09:22 PM
wow, and Gothic III still needs a lot of patching

Well maybe they will continue to patch it since its a new developer handling the next one...

agentkay
05-23-07, 06:48 AM
The name Gothic is a registered trademark of Pluto13, the developers of Gothic 1-3. I don´t know how Jowood can possibly announce a Gothic 4 when they don´t own the rights for the name.

http://www.pluto13.de/index.php?navtarget=6&lang=en

"GOTHIC®, Piranha Bytes® and Xardas® are registered trademarks of Pluto 13 GmbH. Any other trademarks mentioned on these pages remain the exclusive property of their owners."

SlamDunk
05-23-07, 08:52 AM
G4 is not developed by Piranha Bytes (G1-3 devs), so... I have absolutely no interest in it. Thanks JoWooD for ruining the Gothic name :thumbdwn:

I hope the Piranhas will finally find a good publisher that does not force them to release games in a unfinished state (Gothic 3).

The name Gothic is a registered trademark of Pluto13, the developers of Gothic 1-3. I don´t know how Jowood can possibly announce a Gothic 4 when they don´t own the rights for the name.
We did not sell the rights at the mark GOTHIC.

JoWood has however certain rights at the mark, them among other things to actually permit could a GOTHIC 4 develop.
Source: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.worldofplayers.de%2 Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D3582696%26%23post358 2696&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

superklye
05-23-07, 09:34 AM
After the buggy mess of a game that was Gothic 3, how can you honestly write off a new developer before even seeing what they've done?

If anything I actually have interest in this series now that there's potential that this new team of programmers know what they're doing and release a playable game.

CaptNKILL
05-23-07, 09:58 AM
After the buggy mess of a game that was Gothic 3, how can you honestly write off a new developer before even seeing what they've done?

If anything I actually have interest in this series now that there's potential that this new team of programmers know what they're doing and release a playable game.
Don't forget about the first two... Gothic 2 was a cool game but the sloppy design and massive bugs made me quit playing pretty early on.

You'd think after making basically the same game 3 times, just with better graphics and some slight changes they would figure out how to make it WORK and not be a pain in the ass to play. I haven't played Gothic 3 but from what I read it had all of the same annoyances and problems of the first 2.

I'm not all that interested in the Gothic storyline obviously (I haven't played the games enough), but it'd be nice to have a game of this style that was a bit more polished. Its open ended, yet has a detailed and tightly packed world. Its a great idea, but the sloppiness of the final product has made it hard for me to really enjoy the games for very long.

raystorm
05-23-07, 10:30 AM
Could be a blessing in disguise if the new dev team can do something great with the gothic universe. I know its not the same thing but look at the Tomb Raider series. The original devs Core Design did the same thing over and over and over. Crystal Dynamics gets the game and breathes new life into the franchise with the excellent TR: Legend and TR: Anniversary. Maybe the new devs for Gothic will create something specials. I hope...

Gothic 3 is a total mess of a game with some of the worst combat in the universe. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and thats a same as its a fine looking game with a good looking world to explore. The bugs are just too much and the combat is too poor.

DRen72
05-23-07, 02:33 PM
Sounds good to me. I liked Gothic III and it ran pretty well on my rig. I may even play it again a different way. I pissed off all the Orc's early on and after I visited the 5th or so town, they all charged me right away. I'd play again to try to get most of the side-quests done...but thats just me. Gothic 4 sounds good but Gothic 3 sort of ended with a sense of finality to it. Guess is will have to be a Kings Quest type game now. :-)