PDA

View Full Version : Doom III: Who cares?

Pages : 1 [2]

Master
08-01-02, 02:43 AM
I`m looking forward to RTCW based on D3 engine. Imagine castle&dungeon levels with zombies in this engine ! I am looking forward to this game since it is going to be scary.

I don`t care if it has some new style of gameplay or not. All I want is a long scary immersive action game. And D3 shall be like that judging from the screenshots and E3 video.

Don`t forget that music makes a lot of difference. Try playing Quake1 with and without Nine Inch soundtrack. Too big of a difference for one game, isn`t it ?

My only complaint is about low-poly models. Does somebody know for sure they`re low-poly only now so that devs can play it at more than 5 fps and they`ll be high-poly later ?

SavagePaladin
08-01-02, 03:36 AM
I hated quake 1s music, so yeah, it does make a lot of difference :confused:

Master
08-01-02, 03:53 AM
In my opinion Soundtrack to Quake1 was great, I liked that music even separately in the CD player. Quake1 isn`t that immersive without that soundtrack.
But I understand that not everybody likes that kind of music.

StealthHawk
08-01-02, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Master
I`m looking forward to RTCW based on D3 engine. Imagine castle&dungeon levels with zombies in this engine ! I am looking forward to this game since it is going to be scary.

I don`t care if it has some new style of gameplay or not. All I want is a long scary immersive action game. And D3 shall be like that judging from the screenshots and E3 video.

Don`t forget that music makes a lot of difference. Try playing Quake1 with and without Nine Inch soundtrack. Too big of a difference for one game, isn`t it ?

My only complaint is about low-poly models. Does somebody know for sure they`re low-poly only now so that devs can play it at more than 5 fps and they`ll be high-poly later ?

they're not going to be "high poly." instead of pushing polygons, Carmack is focusing the power of hardware on real time dynamic shadows. and i think that's a great move. this will get the shadows out into the open, when hardware advances and the engine is licensed by other studios, then we can see "high poly" models. they're only "low poly" compared to what other engines will be producing at the time. a good comparison may or may not be the single player game Unreal 2, which should have some nice models.

Kruno
08-01-02, 05:01 AM
low poly = Good.

The damn game will be computation limited and fillrate as well as bandwidth BUT certainly not triangle :)

StealthHawk
08-01-02, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
low poly = Good.

The damn game will be computation limited and fillrate as well as bandwidth BUT certainly not triangle :)

how is that good? wouldn't you rather the game have high poly counts that may be unusable for now, but will be usuable later? Morrowind supposedly has lots of secret hidden features that don't work with today's hardware, doesn't it?

Kruno
08-01-02, 07:43 AM
It does? WTF? I prefer Warcraft 3's graphics over anything like MW and NWN and any other game you throw on the table.

Oh yeh W3 is low poly.

StealthHawk
08-01-02, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
It does? WTF? I prefer Warcraft 3's graphics over anything like MW and NWN and any other game you throw on the table.

Oh yeh W3 is low poly.

yes, i heard something about Morrowind supporting hidden future features either here, or at 3DGPU i believe.

Nutty
08-02-02, 08:53 PM
how is that good? wouldn't you rather the game have high poly counts that may be unusable for now, but will be usuable later?

The problem with high poly counts in the doom3 engine is as follows.

The silhouette finding algo for the shadow volumes is done on the cpu. And it has to be done every time a light source that is affecting the object is moved. Increasing polys in Q3 only affects the GPU speed. Increasing polys in Doom3 affects the CPU performance too.

Also, for every light (and it supports alot more than 1 light as someone previously said), you have to perform 2 passes on the model just for the shadow volume. Thats per light! Additionally to this you have the per-pixel bump-mapping also. So we're talking minimum 3 passes per object per light.

So if you doubled the poly count, you'd actually get a 6 fold increase in poly throughput per frame per light. Thats why the models are very low poly.

NV30 will bring double sided stenciling, which will allow you to do shadow volumes in 1 pass, instead of 2. Which will be nice.

Nutty

DoinkyBottoms
08-02-02, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
GF3 will be able to handle doom3 with everything turned on at 30fps.

I dont remember there being a resolution mentionned, but i assume it is 1024x768x32

Speaking of resolution, what's with the screenshots all covered in jaggies? Looks to me like they were taken at 640 and then photoshopped bigger. 640 is not acceptable for a good gaming experience and neither is 30fps.

StealthHawk
08-02-02, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by DoinkyBottoms

Speaking of resolution, what's with the screenshots all covered in jaggies? Looks to me like they were taken at 640 and then photoshopped bigger. 640 is not acceptable for a good gaming experience and neither is 30fps.

different people, different tastes. you'd be surprised how many people are too stupid to change the resolution in games or in older games, to use hardware acceleration.

"hey, help me out man. my new computer can't play CS@1024"
"what? what graphics settings did you use, D3D or OGL?"
"i'm using Software"
problem solved.

AngelGraves13
08-06-02, 01:55 PM
I like everything that the new technology of PixelBump does in Doom III, except for the horribly ugly low poly models. Just look at the heads......what do they mean you can't tell the difference?? It looks angular!!!!!