PDA

View Full Version : Doom III: Who cares?

Pages : [1] 2

PCarr78
07-28-02, 06:46 PM
Doom3 will suck... blah blah blah... Engine first, game last... yap yap yap.... id=3rd rate dev... yadda yadda yadda... Doom3 will suck and I don't give a damn about it.

Well, that's what i pretty much remember from the v1.0 post.

Comments?

I actually agree with what the original poster said.

Matthyahuw
07-28-02, 06:49 PM
hehe, just had to start it up again, eh?

I think D3 is great step in the right direction!
We need devs to put out games for the enthusiats that bring out the best of our hardware, not just make games for the lowest common denominator (like GF2MXs).
It will sell a ton, and other publishers will push for games to push the limits, it's great for everyone!

PCarr78
07-28-02, 07:01 PM
Did you see the leaked E3 video?

The gameplay SUCKS! Run and Gun, just like Wolfenstein or the original DOOM.

Sure, the graphics are impressive, but they also went overboard with shadows.

I mean, you could run the game on an 8mb video card because 90% of the scene is pitch-black. No need for complex textures if all you see is BLACK.

DaveW
07-28-02, 07:24 PM
I saw it, the level developers went overboard with their new toy (realtime shadows), just like they did with colored lighting when it first came out. The engine can only support one light source at a time (plus ambient light level) which doesn't help either. I think it could still be good though, it may play a lot like half life.

PCarr78
07-28-02, 07:36 PM
HL had pretty average gameplay, what saved it was amazing AI and Excellent level design.

Nice scripted sequences too

gravioli
07-28-02, 08:28 PM
Regardless of how the gameplay is, I will probably buy it anyway just to see it in action on my computer :D.

Matthyahuw
07-28-02, 08:51 PM
yeah, the gameplay was weak, I was mainly commenting on the engine...
And yeah, they also overdid it on the shadowing as well, but at least people are trying to make games for the enthusiast rather than trying to make something for everyone (which NEVER works).

SavagePaladin
07-28-02, 09:29 PM
the last ID product I enjoyed was doom 2. So....we'll wait and see.
I doubt they can pull their asses in and do some good single player content, and neither am I a huge fan of horror games.

nin_fragile14
07-28-02, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
Did you see the leaked E3 video?

I mean, you could run the game on an 8mb video card because 90% of the scene is pitch-black. No need for complex textures if all you see is BLACK.

You can interpret all of this from a ripped video running at low resolution with more pixelation than software mode? I'm very impressed.

And you also automatically infer the gameplay sucks based on 1 minute jarring clips they showed? I agree that the gameplay didn't look spectacular, but to immediately infer that it SUCKS is pretty hasty, considering the source of information.

StealthHawk
07-28-02, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
hehe, just had to start it up again, eh?

I think D3 is great step in the right direction!
We need devs to put out games for the enthusiats that bring out the best of our hardware, not just make games for the lowest common denominator (like GF2MXs).
It will sell a ton, and other publishers will push for games to push the limits, it's great for everyone!

but the doom 3 engine is targetting the geforce 1 as the lowest common denominator :D and the gf2mx and gf256ddr have roughly the same performance.

netviper13
07-28-02, 10:04 PM
Yes, but with the Doom3 Engine the 2MX will be the lowest type design it was designed to work with, rather than the highest.

StealthHawk
07-28-02, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by netviper13
Yes, but with the Doom3 Engine the 2MX will be the lowest type design it was designed to work with, rather than the highest.

nothing in the past year has been programmed for the gf2mx as the highest. the gf2mx chokes on any new game at 1024X768X32. my friend's system is so choppy playing WC3 at those settings it is hilarious.

SavagePaladin
07-28-02, 10:31 PM
i want to play at 1280x1024@85hz, i wish monitors weren't so costly for the good stuff :|

Kruno
07-29-02, 12:06 AM
Damn. You people beat me to making this thread :)
Anyway if I can run MW good how about Doom 3?

prydah
07-29-02, 12:23 AM
the nvidiot Archmage's (i think that was him and what his username was) comments in the version 1.0 of this thread is what i thought was the most interesting and caused quite a commotion.

he said something like (and dont quote on this):

he wont be impressed with doom3 because even tho its visual quality will be a bit impressive its gameplay and game genre is nothing new and innovative and because of games and hype over doom3 many people will be "brainwashed" into thinking that these r the type games to play and not the entirely new and innovative games that r not fps, rts, rpg etc etc (he never gave an example of a new, innovative game genre or gameplay because he might be an aspiring game developer and dont wanna give away secrets of gaming innovations he has on his mind)

so he says (dont quote me hehe) to give new innovations in gameplay and game genre a chance and not only innovations in game graphics which is what doom3 may be mainly about

what i say:

i agree
but i still do care much for doom3 ;)

i need to try it out for myself before i say its not impressive or innovative

Cereal-Killer
07-29-02, 01:40 AM
What I would really like to see is Thief 3 based on the Doom 3 engine. Imagine what you could do with Thief and an engine that is all about shadows. :eek:

Matthyahuw
07-29-02, 01:49 AM
That's actually a GREAT idea Cereal, but from what I hear, they are doing something VERY similar with the Unreal engine on that one...

Cereal-Killer
07-29-02, 02:10 AM
Yeah that's what I heard too. Well maybe someone will sit down and do a total conversion of Doom 3, but I guess it's a little early to get excited about that possibility, hehe.

netviper13
07-29-02, 02:35 AM
I'm not very excited at all about DoomIII itself. What does excite me, however, is the engine. Look at what awesome things have been done with the QuakeIII engine. Imagine Jedi Knight based on the Doom III Engine :eek:

Kruno
07-29-02, 09:03 AM
This thread just grows everytime I look at it. Anyway, when JC says the G3 will render D3 in realtime all maxxed settings. Does he mean the Ti200 or vanilla G3? How about clock speeds. I don't run mine at defualt speeds.

PCarr78
07-29-02, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by nin_fragile14

You can interpret all of this from a ripped video running at low resolution with more pixelation than software mode? I'm very impressed.

And you also automatically infer the gameplay sucks based on 1 minute jarring clips they showed? I agree that the gameplay didn't look spectacular, but to immediately infer that it SUCKS is pretty hasty, considering the source of information.

It was a 10 minute vidcam capture of the E3 presentation running on the r300

PCarr78
07-29-02, 09:17 AM
He meant a Standard GF3

The ti200 is overclockable to standard GF3 speeds and BEYOND... so no problems there

StealthHawk
07-29-02, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
This thread just grows everytime I look at it. Anyway, when JC says the G3 will render D3 in realtime all maxxed settings. Does he mean the Ti200 or vanilla G3? How about clock speeds. I don't run mine at defualt speeds.

at maxed settings? did he actually say that? but what resolution?

PCarr78
07-30-02, 07:55 AM
GF3 will be able to handle doom3 with everything turned on at 30fps.

I dont remember there being a resolution mentionned, but i assume it is 1024x768x32

elusive
07-31-02, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
GF3 will be able to handle doom3 with everything turned on at 30fps.

I dont remember there being a resolution mentionned, but i assume it is 1024x768x32

stop saying that people.

sheesh

he said this, How long ago?

i don't think he meant 30fps would be the lowest it would ever see either =]

30 is going to be average, not the lowest it will hit.

any lower than 40-50 in a slow game liek that is too low for me,

let alone, if you want to actually be IMMERSED in it, you should have everything all the way up, ansi,,,

man i can't wait.