PDA

View Full Version : crashes and not compatible....8800GTS

sacre
05-23-07, 10:17 AM
It has been some days since I bought my 8800GTS 320. First I had to install a new power supply. Happy me, I was ready to install......
First when installing the driver I got a 'non-xp compatibility' warning. On the box it says that the card is made especially for Vista, however, on the side it says it's also compatible with XP or XP proffesional. So why the warning and does it effect my system?
Second: I have had nothing but problems playing games. First I tried playing the 'lostplanet' demo, on system check it worked fine and ran smooth, but when I actually started playing the demo it locked up when I encountered the first aliens.
Then I went and bought Half Life2 as I never played it before. Looked like a good and cheap choice. It does not want to start up! It locks-up at the loading screen. It's not my firewall, I already had the latest driver, wich I downloaded and reinstalled again just to be sure, I tried turning off the graphiccard accelerator but then it does not even start at all. One time I got a blue screen that said my driver got stuck in a loop, etc, etc..
Also I cant open my Nvidia control pannel, again a driver problem. (driver: 6.14.11.5822)

Nothing but trouble...

Anybody have/had the same problems, any solutions??

Best regards,

Sacre.

spaceigg
05-23-07, 10:44 AM
weird. however the lost planet demo for XP seems to freeze up ... well at least for me.. but this does not happen with Vista.

HL2 though should work just fine, try installing the drivers that came with your video card instead of the latest drivers....

now the 320mb version of the GTS seems to be a bit more problematic than the 640 mb version...

well I am sure other members of the community will come to help you.
good luck

ATOJAR
05-23-07, 11:14 AM
Try a total uninstall of the drivers and run driver cleaner pro in safe mode! ..... Ive been using the v160.03 drivers, lost planet plays fine for me, try the v160.03's(i know a m8 who had some issues with games and after installing the v160.03 drivers they seemed to help alot!

spaceigg
05-23-07, 11:26 AM
yep, a fresh driver install its a good idea.

sacre
05-23-07, 01:57 PM
Ok first I'll install the driver that came with the card.
Then if it doesn't work, or should I anyway if I install the old driver, I'll do that driver cleaner pro thingie...how and were do I get it?
Thx so far...hope it will help!

smallSHEEP
05-23-07, 03:13 PM
I get the same problems with my 8800 GTS. Half Life will work fine if you use the startup switch "-dxlevel 81"

sacre
05-23-07, 03:26 PM
I am a noob..what startup switch? And version driver do you have?

Thx!