PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Before and After Thoughts.

KasuCode
05-24-07, 01:28 AM
I know alot of people were unsure about the PS3 at first. And alot of us bought a 360 and were not ready to throw down on another console. But after the release and all the new features being released, what is your take on the PS3 now.

I personaly didnt care to get it untell Final Fantasy 13 was near. But with the new features, and games in the linup, I dont think getting one now would be a bad idea. I still dont have a BlueRay player(I have an HD-DVD player).

I think ill be getting one here before the month ends.:thumbsup:

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:31 AM
My take is it is still a console with an identity crisis.

This thing called "games" has been forgotten in favor of useless things that my standalone players already do better.

Amuro
05-24-07, 01:33 AM
PS2 had identy crysis too, big deal.

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:35 AM
PS2 had identy crysis too, big deal.
It also has a gaming library.

Amuro
05-24-07, 01:40 AM
Not when it's first released in March 2000.

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:41 AM
Not when it's first released in March 2000.

The PS3 is 7 months old. The "it just launched" excuse gets old.

Amuro
05-24-07, 01:43 AM
PS2 didn't get many good games until a year later. The first 1 million seller game did not arrive until 2001.

OWA
05-24-07, 01:47 AM
The PS3 is definitely my preferred console. I really like it.

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:49 AM
I'd say the Wii is mine, I haven't powered my 360 up in about 2 months.

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 01:51 AM
still to little games... hell there is just one game worth owning and its motorstorm

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:52 AM
still to little games... hell there is just one game worth owning and its motorstorm

I agree. X360 had more good games available at launch than PS3 has 7 months in. That's pathetic.

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 01:57 AM
I agree. X360 had more good games available at launch than PS3 has 7 months in. That's pathetic.

yeap I bought like 4 games at x360 launch and I own just 1 for the ps3 months after its launch :bleh:

Namrok
05-24-07, 07:40 AM
If there was a single game I was interested, I might get one. As it stands, I might get one just as a replacement for my PS2, the upscaling, and a cheapish Bluray player. I always knew I'd probably end up getting a PS3, I just figured it would be when Metal Gear Solid came out, and then I might sell it. There is a lot more it has to offer which is tipping my hand now. Bluray selection has gotten better among others. The constant Firmware updates help a lot too. I always thought Microsoft would own Sony when it comes to software, since that is basically what they do, but it looks like Sony is really showing them up some.

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 08:00 AM
If there was a single game I was interested, I might get one. As it stands, I might get one just as a replacement for my PS2, the upscaling, and a cheapish Bluray player. I always knew I'd probably end up getting a PS3, I just figured it would be when Metal Gear Solid came out, and then I might sell it. There is a lot more it has to offer which is tipping my hand now. Bluray selection has gotten better among others. The constant Firmware updates help a lot too. I always thought Microsoft would own Sony when it comes to software, since that is basically what they do, but it looks like Sony is really showing them up some.

ps3 doesnt have half of the things the x360 has... how are they showing them?
by implementing features that should have been there from day 1? :bleh:

Namrok
05-24-07, 08:17 AM
ps3 doesnt have half of the things the x360 has... how are they showing them?
by implementing features that should have been there from day 1? :bleh:

The 360 only upscales certain games. A lot just get ghetto upscaled, same as the HD TV would do to put a 480i/p image on a screen with 1336x768 physical pixels, or 1920x1280 or whatever resolution your HD TV happens to be. Halo 2 looks great on the 360, gets rendered to 720p I believe. Panzer Dragoon Orta... not so much, it just gets stretched. Badly stretched at that I might add, but probably comes out about the same as if it was just 480i shot straight at the TV with a native res of 720p. The 360 also does not upscale DVDs, some BS about licensing issues. Who knows, maybe that will change now that Sony is doing it. Or maybe Sony is the one being a bitch about licensing *shrug* not my concern.

Then again, I don't care what media center functionality Sony adds to the PS3, I'll probably still stick with the 360's. Probably the only thing that would change my mind is if the PS3 could play DivX/XviD, and did playlist. It's sort of a pain in the ass not being able to queue several sequential movies to play on the 360. Unless I just don't know how to do it.

What I was really refering to was that MS only patches its firmware about twice a year. Sony has rolled out several quite substantial patches in a matter of months. I'd say, so far as upscaling is concerned, they've managed to leapfrog MS. It actually gives me a little faith in them.

thor1182
05-24-07, 08:38 AM
The 360 only upscales certain games. A lot just get ghetto upscaled, same as the HD TV would do to put a 480i/p image on a screen with 1336x768 physical pixels, or 1920x1280 or whatever resolution your HD TV happens to be. Halo 2 looks great on the 360, gets rendered to 720p I believe. Panzer Dragoon Orta... not so much, it just gets stretched. Badly stretched at that I might add, but probably comes out about the same as if it was just 480i shot straight at the TV with a native res of 720p. The 360 also does not upscale DVDs, some BS about licensing issues. Who knows, maybe that will change now that Sony is doing it. Or maybe Sony is the one being a bitch about licensing *shrug* not my concern.

Then again, I don't care what media center functionality Sony adds to the PS3, I'll probably still stick with the 360's. Probably the only thing that would change my mind is if the PS3 could play DivX/XviD, and did playlist. It's sort of a pain in the ass not being able to queue several sequential movies to play on the 360. Unless I just don't know how to do it.

What I was really refering to was that MS only patches its firmware about twice a year. Sony has rolled out several quite substantial patches in a matter of months. I'd say, so far as upscaling is concerned, they've managed to leapfrog MS. It actually gives me a little faith in them.

It will scale DVD's if you are using the HDMI or VGA

superklye
05-24-07, 09:14 AM
The only way I would ever have/use one is if a) I got it as a gift or b) I could get one brand new/mint condition for under $200. And even then, it'd just be a cheap place-holder BD player until Samsung's dual-format player comes out later this year.

ENU291
05-24-07, 09:37 AM
I'm also on the fence when it comes to buying a PS3. All these new features are really impressive but the only way I can justify dropping $600 is if some really good games are released. The current library of games is pretty pathetic IMO and buying a PS3 just to watch upscaled DVDs and Blu-ray movies doesn't make sense to me. If games like Lair, MGS4, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword turn out great then THAT'S when I'll invest in the system.

ViN86
05-24-07, 10:02 AM
PS3 will more than likely emerge victorious, imo.

however, atm, 360 is still superior in terms of games and features. im glad i went with a 360. in the future, i may move to a PS3

Quickstar
05-24-07, 10:29 AM
Then there's this

And we both know the sales need to pick up, pronto--especially if Sony wants to keep third party interest. Already third party executives are telling me that if PS3 sales stay below 100k for 3 consecutive months, PS3 SKUs may start disappearing from release lists and in turn create a wealth of de-facto exclusives for the Xbox 360.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/05/21/monday-morning-quarterback-for-april-2007.aspx

Ruined
05-24-07, 10:40 AM
I'd buy a PS3 if it didn't have Blu-Ray. But since I dislike the Blu-Ray technology (especially due to BD+ DRM), I will pass on the PS3 this gen despite owning around 60 PS2 games.

If they released a version of PS3 without Blu-Ray for $399 and re-issued the current PS3 games as standard DVDs I'd buy one in a flash. So long as its attached to the Blu-Ray name, though, I won't even think about it until its $199.