PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get Tr00 HD?

Pages : [1] 2

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:32 AM
My Sony TV says "True HD"...

What do I need to do to make sure I'm getting it?

Peoples-Agent
05-24-07, 01:56 AM
Buy a PSThree ....duuuh!
Should you really have to ask?

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:57 AM
Buy a PSThree ....duuuh!
Should you really have to ask?

Just making sure, I know there is a wealth of knowledge here in the console forum about troo hd. Thanks.

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 02:04 AM
yeah beacuse 720p isnt hd.. its just a old tv format :lol:
its "false hd" it makes you believe its hd but its really not
1080p is true hd anything above or below that are just false hd and SUCK!

Im looking at the world as sony does, they wouldnt lie would they?
:retard:

Thingding
05-24-07, 02:57 AM
Yeah my sony is also true HD so i share the lurve! if you turn on the right channel before you turn the machine on, the tv should say "720p" or "1080i" or something in the corner. "1080" is hd, p beats i.

go ps3 if you don't mind it scaling back the in game details to compensate for the extra res killing the frame rate (so I heard). or put your pc on it and tweak it til your face hurts.

the console forum and the pc forum will one day unite as people realise we all bleed the same colour. pimp your pc and inner peace you shall find.

er just don't put your wii on it like me :nono:

H3avyM3tal
05-24-07, 05:04 AM
I think evildick should get someone to beat him up after he laughs at him for being ignorant about true hd.

Hey, I think you should go some place far away and become a monk.

superklye
05-24-07, 07:05 AM
I think evildick should get someone to beat him up after he laughs at him for being ignorant about true hd.
You mean the fact that it's bull**** marketing hype by Sony to play on lemmings that don't realize 720p is just as "true HD" as 1080p and will pay 2x-3x the cost of a TV to get a higher resolution that makes no difference on TVs under 50" and only if you've got a TV that big along with an eye that sharp to notice the minor differences?

H3avyM3tal
05-24-07, 08:40 AM
Oh I ment to type tr00 hd.
Sorry :/

Sony can kiss my friggin ass, and no marketing will make ppl buy 1080p screens for as much as they cost today. So just let them yell their crap because no one will buy a 1080p screen for the sake of the ps3.

Only those with enough money, but then they don't really make the ps3 their number 1 reason for buying a tr00 hd.

Let them say what they want, its not like someone like evildick will educate ppl on something which is not that big of a deal for most of the consumers.

Burner_Tbird2
05-24-07, 10:22 AM
Sweet I started a thread indirectly (lee63)

So... are the PS3 h8t3rs in here trying to say there's no difference between 720p and 1080p?

Maybe Sony should change their marketing to High(est) Definition? ;)

Joking aside, is it really out of line to call 1080p True High Definition? I mean the word 'high' carries with it the connotation of a medium and low existing- right? You can't have two different resolutions both be 'high', else the word loses all meaning. So if they can't both be given the same title of 'high' then one is the true high and the other is medium or less-than-high. However since most Best Buy walking boobs have no idea what screen resolution is, and no manufacturer is going to start calling their 720p set Medium Definition, Sony clarified the differences by calling 1080p truely deserving of the title 'high'. What's wrong with that?

Its all semantic bu11***** anyway :argue:

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 10:39 AM
Sweet I started a thread indirectly (lee63)

So... are the PS3 h8t3rs in here trying to say there's no difference between 720p and 1080p?

Maybe Sony should change their marketing to High(est) Definition? ;)

Joking aside, is it really out of line to call 1080p True High Definition? I mean the word 'high' carries with it the connotation of a medium and low existing- right? You can't have two different resolutions both be 'high', else the word loses all meaning. So if they can't both be given the same title of 'high' then one is the true high and the other is medium or less-than-high. However since most Best Buy walking boobs have no idea what screen resolution is, and no manufacturer is going to start calling their 720p set Medium Definition, Sony clarified the differences by calling 1080p truely deserving of the title 'high'. What's wrong with that?

Its all semantic bu11***** anyway :argue:

what happens when 1440p comes out? will it be called 2xTrue HD :bleh:

superklye
05-24-07, 10:42 AM
If you simply MUST called 1080p something besides "high definition" call it "higher" definition.

High definition is defined as a 16:9 resolution 720 pixels high or larger. 720p is just as "true HD" as 1080p is.

True HD is bull**** marketing hyperbole that Sony invented to get people to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a resolution on a TV that would show no benefit over 720p. The rest of the companies and lemmings caught on and here we are with people thinking 720p looks as bad as 480i.

Mr. Hunt
05-24-07, 10:49 AM
If you simply MUST called 1080p something besides "high definition" call it "higher" definition.

High definition is defined as a 16:9 resolution 720 pixels high or larger. 720p is just as "true HD" as 1080p is.

True HD is bull**** marketing hyperbole that Sony invented to get people to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a resolution on a TV that would show no benefit over 720p. The rest of the companies and lemmings caught on and here we are with people thinking 720p looks as bad as 480i.

If you can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p you are blind.

superklye
05-24-07, 10:50 AM
On a TV smaller than 50"? If you can, you're fooling yourself or sitting way to close for your own good.

Lyme
05-24-07, 10:51 AM

720p/1080i and now 1080p are all part of the same HD standard. IMO Sony is simply trying to sell more tvs

Burner_Tbird2
05-24-07, 12:50 PM
720p/1080i and now 1080p are all part of the same HD standard. IMO Sony is simply trying to sell more tvs

Of course they're both part of a broadcasting standard, that doesn't mean 720p=1080p.

All I'm saying is that 1080p>720p and that Sony had to seperate the two of them somehow. They came up with the term True High Definition so they could, as EvilChris pointed out, put a nice sticker on their 1080p TVs. They could have put stickers staying "1080p!" but that term might as well be latin to 90% of the market. There's nothing incorrect or misleading about the term as there really is a difference between an HD set and what Sony would call a True HD set, just as there's a difference between 720p and 1080p. Like I said above, if two resolutions can both be high definition then the term's meaning is totally generic and HD just becomes another buzz word. Once higher pixel counts are realized new buzz words will have to be invented, or maybe the Crown of True HD will get passed onto 1440p, who knows.

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 01:05 PM
Of course they're both part of a broadcasting standard, that doesn't mean 720p=1080p.

All I'm saying is that 1080p>720p and that Sony had to seperate the two of them somehow. They came up with the term True High Definition so they could, as EvilChris pointed out, put a nice sticker on their 1080p TVs. They could have put stickers staying "1080p!" but that term might as well be latin to 90% of the market. There's nothing incorrect or misleading about the term as there really is a difference between an HD set and what Sony would call a True HD set, just as there's a difference between 720p and 1080p. Like I said above, if two resolutions can both be high definition then the term's meaning is totally generic and HD just becomes another buzz word. Once higher pixel counts are realized new buzz words will have to be invented, or maybe the Crown of True HD will get passed onto 1440p, who knows.

true means that all other are false HD
if one is true then the other MUST be false right?

a. Consistent with fact or reality; not false or erroneous. See Synonyms at real1. See Usage Note at fact.
b. Truthful.
2. Real; genuine
3. Reliable; accurate: a true prophecy.
4. Rightful; legitimate
5. Exactly conforming to a rule, standard, or pattern:

no they CANT call it True HD its false advertising

Arioch
05-24-07, 01:10 PM
On a TV smaller than 50"? If you can, you're fooling yourself or sitting way to close for your own good.

Well for me I am in an apartment and I sit about 5-6 feet away from my Westinghouse 37" 1080p LCDTV and I can see the entire screen without having to turn my head or anything. I paid $900 for it after Christmas and although its not a good as the higher end models I think it has great "bang for the buck". At that range I can tell the difference in some things but I think it really depends on the quality of the source footage.

Before that I had a Toshiba 43" rear-projection HDTV that I bought way back in 2000 and I was probably the first one out of my friends to have one. Since I do not own a house yet, and I have a small space, I am buying HDTVs that I feel are good values for the money as I have other things taking my income like the new PC I got a couple months ago and the fact that I am saving up for a down payment on either a Corvette or a Mustang Cobra if I can find one.

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:30 PM
5 - 6 feet from a 37" screen? Sorry, even Superman couldn't tell 1080 from 720 there.

What you might be seeing is variances in source material, not actual gained benefit from increased resolution.

I need to be 8 feet from my SEVENTY inch screen to gain benefit. That's nearly 4 times larger than your set.

evilchris
05-24-07, 01:31 PM

If you think you can tell the difference between the two without sitting close enough you are full of ****. Most people don't sit close enough.

kevJ420
05-24-07, 01:54 PM
Now that they've got 1080p they should move on to 48 bit color.

we've been stuck at 24 bit color way too long.

H3avyM3tal
05-24-07, 02:02 PM
All haters are just too elitists to even know that even though sony says something, in reality, the context is diffrent. This goes for all companies.
Hate towards sony for developing an ego after they had the right to do so (selling 100 mill in hardware), just makes everybody look stupid.

If evildick had the slightest(sp?) sense of, oh I dont know, human being and not of an a-hole, he couldve said it in a way that people listen somewhat.
And this goes for everyone here.

Thingding
05-24-07, 02:36 PM
hey sony the console makers have lost the plot somewhat.

sony the tv makers are gods! this tv is friggin awesome! (40" w2000)

i'm about eight feet from mine and you can tell 1080 from 720, but only for things in the distance. it's not a huge change tho granted. 720 would do fine for most things. i guess :(

instead i go tr00 hd and sit on the floor to game :)

Lyme
05-24-07, 02:51 PM
Now that they've got 1080p they should move on to 48 bit color.

we've been stuck at 24 bit color way too long.

Don't even go there.

evilchris
05-24-07, 03:16 PM
hey sony the console makers have lost the plot somewhat.

sony the tv makers are gods! this tv is friggin awesome! (40" w2000)

i'm about eight feet from mine and you can tell 1080 from 720, but only for things in the distance. it's not a huge change tho granted. 720 would do fine for most things. i guess :(

instead i go tr00 hd and sit on the floor to game :)

What source media did you have that is encoded in both 720 and 1080?

Toss3
05-24-07, 04:47 PM
If you think you can tell the difference between the two without sitting close enough you are full of ****. Most people don't sit close enough.
Well wouldn't the quality suffer if the TV has to scale the vid from 720p to 1080p?