PDA

View Full Version : increasing performance in CS-S

SOAD
05-24-07, 05:00 AM
Hello all. With my E6420 @ 2.8ghz and the GTX @ stock speeds, im experiencing slow down in CS-S with these settings

AA 16XQ
AF 16x
All details on High and reflect all
HDR

With 63 bots I am dropping down to 45fps.

Can I improve this?

Seems quite slow :(

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 05:13 AM
seems about right... you have AA 16XQ it takes ALOT of performance
and minimum of 45fps isnt slow at all at those settings

Crow_Nest
05-24-07, 05:50 AM
What can i say? With AA set to an insane 16XQ while running at 45 FPS, you already shouldnt be complaining... No one needs THAT much AA, 4x is already pretty good. Anything more than 6x AA is overkill in my opinion.

SOAD
05-24-07, 06:58 AM
my resolution is 1920x1200.

TBH I havnt tried lower.

Will try that tonight.

Do the bots stress it much?

Badboy_12345
05-24-07, 07:09 AM
I hope you are kidding... and just want to show off... I think you are as you know how to overclock and know your components

Gnaddel
05-24-07, 07:33 AM
Btw. has anybode else encountered extreme fps drops in cs_militia?

Performance is really bad for me on this map using high fsaa and af. Of course I could lower the settings but the map doesn't really look "that" good. Why is it so slow, no problems on any other map at all.

Using Vista 64, system as signature shows. :)

SOAD
05-24-07, 07:34 AM

what?

Ignore the muppet :rolleyes:

Will give it a try @ 3.7ghz tonight.

Just wondering why it takes such a hit.

When I have 3-4bots I am getting a capped 300 fps. But I refuse to belive adding another 60 bots makes all that difference

Madpistol
05-24-07, 09:37 AM
When I have 3-4bots I am getting a capped 300 fps. But I refuse to belive adding another 60 bots makes all that difference

Please tell me you're kidding... (ack)

CS:S is very CPU dependant, so naturally, you add a bunch of CPU controlled bots, the processor takes a pretty big hit.

You're still getting 45fps with that many bots? You should count your blessings. There are thousands, if not millions of CS:S players that would kill for that kind of performance on their current computers. :rolleyes:

Coldfox
05-24-07, 09:56 AM
Why would you want to play with bots.....

ynnek
05-24-07, 01:16 PM
or more like, why do you want to play CS? ;)

stncttr908
05-24-07, 01:39 PM
or more like, why do you want to play CS? ;)
Because it is still fun enough to ignore the kiddies.

It has to be the bots, man. That's a lot of CPU load.

sniggle
05-24-07, 06:50 PM
Definitely the bots, especially considering that the source engine does not put bot AI on separate threads unfortunately, so all your game logic and bots are on a single core.

SOAD
05-25-07, 04:04 AM
fair enough I suppose.

I dont however think "millions of players would want that performance".

Im playing with bots atm cos my internet is down at home ;)

I love Counter Strike :D

Gonna overclock tonight. Going to try for 4.0Ghz......

I managed to get a suicide 4.3Ghz on air before.. (e6420)

My old Pentium 4 I managed to overclock to 4.8ghz. Gave me a nice boost :D

Neova
05-25-07, 04:23 AM
Bots = CPU intensive. I used this to prime my last cpu to ensure stability with CS 1.6 + 32 Pod Bots.

You definately will get better performance online with no bots.

Sweet system BTW!

ynnek
05-25-07, 02:12 PM
fair enough I suppose.
I dont however think "millions of players would want that performance".

Actually, according to steam stats, your computer setup is really up there.. Probably like top 5%. The majority of steam are still stuck with like old Geforce4 cards.....

So if probably like, what 100,000? lol

Crow_Nest
05-26-07, 12:35 PM
Actually, according to steam stats, your computer setup is really up there.. Probably like top 5%. The majority of steam are still stuck with like old Geforce4 cards.....

So if probably like, what 100,000? lol

Actually the last time i saw the Steam hardware survey, if i remembered correctly. Majority are still using the GeForce FX series cards. That was last year though, not sure about now.

Madpistol
05-26-07, 01:21 PM
Actually the last time i saw the Steam hardware survey, if i remembered correctly. Majority are still using the GeForce FX series cards. That was last year though, not sure about now.

If we follow that trend, then the Geforce 6 is now the norm.

Once again, People would kill to have one of our systems right now. We are the benchmark of performance, so you should be happy with your current setup. It kicks major ass in the world of steam. :D