PDA

View Full Version : The 11 Worst Trends in Video Games (2007 Edition)

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
05-25-07, 10:03 PM
11. The perfect woman.
She's as pretty as pie and as tough as any of the guys... in fact, she effectively is one of the guys, never mind the next-gen jiggle physics. Why do so many games depict females as flawless-looking, cleavage-flaunting, Uzi-toting killing machines? This bad trend is nothing much new, really, for an industry that has long marginalized women both real and virtual. The games industry isn't alone, of course -- Hollywood perfected this trend years ago. But it still sucks, and proves that this industry has some maturing to do.

Chief offenders: Nariko (Heavenly Sword), Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider Legend)

10. Bloom effects.
Ico for the PS2 was one of the earliest games to use bloom lighting effects, which creates a soft, glowing appearance to in-game lighting. The technique seemed fresh then, but now it feels more like an overused Barbara Walters camera filter than a way to build atmosphere. Bloom effects and blown-out HDR lighting are the lens flare of twenty-first century video games -- developers should employ them sparingly.

Chief offenders: Halo 2, Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Fable

9. Supersoldiers.
You are an elite supersoldier, perhaps the last of your kind, genetically perfected in a laboratory to kick ass and...blah, blah, blah, you know the drill. The number of games that feature this cliched sci-fi premise is growing at an alarming rate. We blame Halo, which sold like hotcakes and apparently convinced game developers that genetically enhanced supersoldiers were the new black.

Chief offenders: Halo, Crysis, F.E.A.R., Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

8. Regular soldiers, for that matter.
Grunts, SWAT teams, special forces -- enough already! Perhaps the glut of military-themed games is an artistic reaction to the real-life Middle Eastern conflict, or maybe it's just lazy developers sticking with a formula that works. But there's no law that says players need to star as a tough-as-nails soldier in every action game. Why not a fresh-faced street cop (ala Resident Evil 2)? Or a normal teenage girl (Silent Hill 3)? Soldiers are great and all, but can't we play as someone else for a change?

Chief offenders: Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2142, Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Rainbow Six: Vegas

7. Using every button on the controller.
We're all for enhanced interactivity, but that doesn't mean developers should max out all 14+ buttons (counting the d-pad and analog sticks) on the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers. Here's a hint for developers: less buttons is almost always preferable to more. You may have to sacrifice or consolidate a few game actions (such as the jump, crouch, and use buttons found in nearly every shooter). But the payoff, simplicity, is usually worth the effort. And the proof is in the pudding; Nintendo has already made intriguing -- and immensely profitable -- inroads on this front with the easy-to-use Wii and DS.

Chief offenders: Halo 2/3, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell: Double Agent

6. Licensed soundtracks.
Popularized by 1999's excellent Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, licensed soundtracks caught on quick and never looked back. Sadly, gamers are left with far fewer titles sporting original (and memorable) soundtracks. Pop quiz: from memory, name one of your favorite original game soundtracks. If Zelda and Mario come to mind, remember these scores were written some 20 years ago... by a programmer, no less! We like pop music as much as anyone, but we miss original game scores more. Without them, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Shadow of the Colossus just wouldn't be the same.

Chief offenders: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Burnout series

5. Sequels.
Activision, EA, and other big publishers may think they're being smart be releasing overhauls of their cash cow franchises every year. But in reality they're signing a deal with the devil. When you make a commitment to release annual sequels, you're saddling your mega-brand game with a perilously short development time and soaring expectations. Over time, battle-fatigued fans may begin to lose interest in the yearly exercises, particularly if each sequel is merely an incremental improvement. Confusion is a major factor, too. Quick: can anyone name the key ways in which Tony Hawk's Project 8 is different from Tony Hawk's American Wasteland? What about Burnout 4 and Burnout 3? Fundamentally, they're all the same.

Chief offenders: The Tony Hawk, Splinter Cell, and Call of Duty series, among many others

4. Rising game prices.
This is probably just the anti-inflationist in me, but I detest paying the new-gen games tax -- $10 more for what is, essentially, the same game experience as last gen. Granted, games aren't the only products plagued with rising prices, but after being raised on the $50 price point, it just seems wrong to pay more. It's like turning the $1 store into the $1.10 store. Publishers: let's see if we can't reverse this progression. And don't even get me started on the ridiculously priced "special edition" games. No, I don't need to spend $130 for a flimsy plastic mask and a behind-the-scenes documentary that shows some programmer coding his life away.

Chief offenders: Pretty much every Xbox 360 and PS3 game

3. Microtransactions.
We appreciate episodic content when it makes sense. And we like digital distribution, too, when it's reasonable. We just don't want to pay for them if publishers keep pricing games at the $50-60 dollar mark... especially for a couple of new songs (::ahem:: Guitar Hero II) or a mandatory online map pack (::ahem:: Halo 2). Just because cell phone companies charge $2 for 30-second ring tones doesn't mean publishers have the all-clear to charge $6.25 for some karaoke version of Higher Ground. More consistent pricing would go a long, long way here.

Chief offenders: Halo 2, Lumines Live, Guitar Hero II (Xbox 360)

2. Gangsta themes.
The ingredients: give players a sandbox world, crowds of innocent bystanders, mini-objectives for when they get tired of robbing the same store for the umpteenth time, and viola! You have yourself a gangsta game. The problem is, most gamers don't find these themes to be subversive anymore, robbing them of their precious edginess. Take away the thrill of the controversial hook and all we're left with is a mediocre third-person shooting/driving game that would've look dated in 2003. If you like these kinds of games, fine; more power to you. But if you're sick of the gangsta game glut, blame Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and its record-breaking sales.

Chief offenders: 50 Cent: Bulletproof, Saints Row, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Scarface

1. World War II themes.
Since the dawn of video games, publishers have released roughly 350 World War II-based titles. I'll spell it out for you: that's 350 WWII-themed games all centered around a conflict that lasted six years, which averages out to about 18 games per year during the modern era of gaming. The Allies won. Can't we be done with it? Or at least bring the number of games down to no more than a half-dozen per year? Sheesh. At least Resistance: Fall of Man played with a fun sci-fi alternate WWII timeline. But so many other games have resorted to reenacting increasingly obscure skirmishes in the WWII European front*. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare gives us some hope...though it still transgresses on another pet peeve of ours.

Chief offenders: Company of Heroes, Call of Duty 3, Brothers in Arms: Highway to Hell, Medal of Honor: Airborne, countless others

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/113609.shtml?&AFC-HSUIT&ATTR=DIGG

Tea on Tuesday
05-25-07, 10:18 PM
1. World War II themes.
Since the dawn of video games, publishers have released roughly 350 World War II-based titles. I'll spell it out for you: that's 350 WWII-themed games all centered around a conflict that lasted six years, which averages out to about 18 games per year during the modern era of gaming. The Allies won. Can't we be done with it? Or at least bring the number of games down to no more than a half-dozen per year? Sheesh. At least Resistance: Fall of Man played with a fun sci-fi alternate WWII timeline. But so many other games have resorted to reenacting increasingly obscure skirmishes in the WWII European front*. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare gives us some hope...though it still transgresses on another pet peeve of ours.

No doubt. How many more times will I invade Normandy at Omaha beach. At least give us something interesting, maybe the beach invasion failed and the US must defend our east coast against a German invasion.

Knot3D
05-25-07, 10:19 PM
11. The perfect woman.
She's as pretty as pie and as tough as any of the guys... in fact, she effectively is one of the guys, never mind the next-gen jiggle physics. Why do so many games depict females as flawless-looking, cleavage-flaunting, Uzi-toting killing machines? This bad trend is nothing much new, really, for an industry that has long marginalized women both real and virtual. The games industry isn't alone, of course -- Hollywood perfected this trend years ago. But it still sucks, and proves that this industry has some maturing to do.

Chief offenders: Nariko (Heavenly Sword), Ada Wong (Resident Evil 4), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider Legend)

I agree somewhat...They are indeed virtual pinups, aimed at horny teenage boys and average Joe gamer

9. Supersoldiers.
You are an elite supersoldier, perhaps the last of your kind, genetically perfected in a laboratory to kick ass and...blah, blah, blah, you know the drill. The number of games that feature this cliched sci-fi premise is growing at an alarming rate. We blame Halo, which sold like hotcakes and apparently convinced game developers that genetically enhanced supersoldiers were the new black.

Chief offenders: Halo, Crysis, F.E.A.R., Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Hmmm.. In MGS it's part of the whole storyline...it actually questions this (cloning and such). As much as it can be accused of being a weakness, this premise is hailed as MGS' strength, by the fans

8. Regular soldiers, for that matter.
Grunts, SWAT teams, special forces -- enough already! Perhaps the glut of military-themed games is an artistic reaction to the real-life Middle Eastern conflict, or maybe it's just lazy developers sticking with a formula that works. But there's no law that says players need to star as a tough-as-nails soldier in every action game. Why not a fresh-faced street cop (ala Resident Evil 2)? Or a normal teenage girl (Silent Hill 3)? Soldiers are great and all, but can't we play as someone else for a change?

Chief offenders: Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2142, Medal of Honor, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Rainbow Six: Vegas

For MGS2, Konami marketing interviewed female gamers about what they wanted to see....Then the gaming world, received Raiden instead of Snake...yeah, he got big 'respect'...

5. Sequels.
Activision, EA, and other big publishers may think they're being smart be releasing overhauls of their cash cow franchises every year. But in reality they're signing a deal with the devil. When you make a commitment to release annual sequels, you're saddling your mega-brand game with a perilously short development time and soaring expectations. Over time, battle-fatigued fans may begin to lose interest in the yearly exercises, particularly if each sequel is merely an incremental improvement. Confusion is a major factor, too. Quick: can anyone name the key ways in which Tony Hawk's Project 8 is different from Tony Hawk's American Wasteland? What about Burnout 4 and Burnout 3? Fundamentally, they're all the same.

Chief offenders: The Tony Hawk, Splinter Cell, and Call of Duty series, among many others

Sometimes, fixing what ain't broken...turns things for the worse ; Splinter Cell Conviction. SC Chaos Theory still has massive potential to evolve & to deepen the vintage gameplay. Ubi's alienating alot of ppl

The rest i pretty much agree on

nutcrackr
05-25-07, 11:33 PM
it's good they have bloom/hdr in there but what about the sepia post processing effects?

nekrosoft13
05-25-07, 11:43 PM
that sepia post processing effects is quite annoying

MaXThReAT
05-26-07, 12:02 AM
We're all for enhanced interactivity, but that doesn't mean developers should max out all 14+ buttons (counting the d-pad and analog sticks) on the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers. Here's a hint for developers: less buttons is almost always preferable to more. You may have to sacrifice or consolidate a few game actions (such as the jump, crouch, and use buttons found in nearly every shooter). But the payoff, simplicity, is usually worth the effort. And the proof is in the pudding; Nintendo has already made intriguing -- and immensely profitable -- inroads on this front with the easy-to-use Wii and DS.

Chief offenders: Halo 2/3, F.E.A.R., Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Okay this is the PC forum and everything is about consoles, so umm if you see every game listed above is also a PC game. I would think that we'll see this control impact on PC also. Halo 2 already doesn't have a run, how can you not have a run...or jump in others, that's just stupid, dumb MS assholes.

6. Licensed soundtracks.
We need NIN back.

3. Microtransactions.
We appreciate episodic content when it makes sense. And we like digital distribution, too, when it's reasonable. We just don't want to pay for them if publishers keep pricing games at the $50-60 dollar mark... especially for a couple of new songs (::ahem:: Guitar Hero II) or a mandatory online map pack (::ahem:: Halo 2).
Expect this to become the norm on the vista PC in the next 5 years.
I have nothing against anything ells but the WWII games are getting a bit old.

kevJ420
05-26-07, 05:51 AM
None of those things are things I would've picked. I'd have picked totally different atrocities.

Among those, would, of course, be technical quality being highly disfavored.

CaptNKILL
05-26-07, 07:30 AM
Okay this is the PC forum and everything is about consoles, so umm if you see every game listed above is also a PC game. I would think that we'll see this control impact on PC also. Halo 2 already doesn't have a crouch, how can you not have a crouch...or jump, that's just stupid, dumb MS assholes.

Halo 2 doesn't have a crouch? I remember crouching in Halo 2 on Xbox...

nrs421
05-26-07, 08:03 AM
11. The perfect woman.

#11 is not a bad trend....i like it.

Badboy_12345
05-26-07, 09:08 AM
#11 is not a bad trend....i like it.

me too :)

Madpistol
05-26-07, 09:28 AM
They screwed up number one... They listed Call of Duty 3... but Call of Duty 3 was announced that it would be using modern combat as it's theatre of war, not WWII.

Good job guys. :headexplode:

Vik1dk
05-26-07, 09:38 AM
They screwed up number one... They listed Call of Duty 3... but Call of Duty 3 was announced that it would be using modern combat as it's theatre of war, not WWII.

Good job guys. :headexplode:
You mean COD 4?
OT: If you remove most of those thing there wouldnt be much left... oh well tetris is kinda cool also :p

buffbiff21
05-26-07, 09:46 AM
Ones I disagree with:
9. Supersoldiers.

Ones that were funny:

everything else.

they definitely need to ditch the crappy war games.

gimme some old school **** dammit.

back to Time Crisis 3 on PS2 I go:)

Sectus
05-26-07, 11:05 AM
I pretty much agree with the list besides point #11. What's so bad about pretty heroic females compared to handsome heroic males? They display Ada Wong as an example, but I don't see what's so wrong with her compared to Leon (who's displayed as a handsome flawless character able to handle any situation).

What they should complain about instead are "flat" personalities. Generic heroes who are just... heroes with no flaws or story (something which is most definitely too common in games). I see absolutely nothing wrong with controlling an attractive character (I doubt people would enjoy Tomb Raider more if Lara Croft was bald, had no teeth and was as fat as a walrus, even though that would be a non-trendy design decision).

KasuCode
05-26-07, 11:24 AM
11. The perfect woman.

I would much rather play the perfect woman, then the perfect Man.

I personaly like alot of the music for the games I play. Its fitting for the game and sets the mood. The only games I would say diffrent with are sports games and alot of them do have licensed soundtracks. For the ones that dont you just add your own music.

Some games like Splinter Cell, and Tomb Raider for example are being put out so fast you only see the first 2-3 of em. its like " The Land Before Time" Movie. Who knows how many movies are out now? What are they on like Land Before Time 21. You would think with as long as that series has been out dianosors would still live today. All I know is a meteor needs to land on some of these games. Put em into an ice age long enough to come up with some new sh**.

MaXThReAT
05-26-07, 01:18 PM
Halo 2 doesn't have a crouch? I remember crouching in Halo 2 on Xbox...

O you know what, you are right, I am sorry. I totaly overlooked it in the setup.

Madpistol
05-26-07, 01:30 PM
You mean COD 4?
OT: If you remove most of those thing there wouldnt be much left... oh well tetris is kinda cool also :p

Damn, got me again! :headexplode:

Oh well, I guess they were totally right. WWII is getting really stale.

Wait until they start mass producing games about the "War on Terrorism". That should be interesting. ;)

MowTin
05-26-07, 01:36 PM
its like " The Land Before Time" Movie. Who knows how many movies are out now? What are they on like Land Before Time 21. You would think with as long as that series has been out dianosors would still live today.

Women dressed in skimpy animal skins, a blonde wrestling a brunette because she's trying to steal her caveman, that never gets old dude. :D Problem is they need to cast some really hot women like Carmen Electra and Xeni Seeberg as cave women.

Anyway...#1 WORST TREND IN VIDEO GAMES:

SACRIFICING GAMEPLAY FOR GRAPHICS

Same old game no new gameplay mechanics but horrible horrible performance. Everyone is so busy trying to create new physics and graphics effects they don't have any time to think of new gameplay mechanics. Playing the same game with better graphics gets old after a while.

HDR, Motion Blur, Physics engines, Dynamic Shadows are great but not if it means you can't use AA or high res textures!

Chief offender: Unreal engine games.

kevJ420
05-26-07, 02:01 PM
Women dressed in skimpy animal skins, a blonde wrestling a brunette because she's trying to steal her caveman, that never gets old dude. :D Problem is they need to cast some really hot women like Carmen Electra and Xeni Seeberg as cave women.

Anyway...#1 WORST TREND IN VIDEO GAMES:

SACRIFICING GAMEPLAY FOR GRAPHICS

Same old game no new gameplay mechanics but horrible horrible performance. Everyone is so busy trying to create new physics and graphics effects they don't have any time to think of new gameplay mechanics. Playing the same game with better graphics gets old after a while.

HDR, Motion Blur, Physics engines, Dynamic Shadows are great but not if it means you can't use AA or high res textures!

Chief offender: Unreal engine games.

Technically they're not sacrificing gameplay for graphics. They're sacrificing graphics for perf.

But technically, that's a fault of nvidia and ati, so I'm not going to blame games for technical shortcomings that are no fault of the game developers.

toxikneedle
05-26-07, 03:17 PM
Wow they just love blaming Halo for everything.

You blame Halo 2 for microtransactions and not every EA game that's been selling cheats for money?

4Aces
05-28-07, 03:30 PM
First it does look like you're lost, most of your comments are about consoles like (use every BUTTON on the CONTROLLER) Those of us with big boy toys a.k.a. a computer normally don't have a contrller unless you consider a mouse and then I don't mind using all the buttons :) If you don't like WW II games then it's simple DON'T BUY THEM. The perferct woman thing however is sad in so many ways, sad the the game creators never dated in High School and are probably virgins to this day and equally sad but more understandable is all the 10yr olds who find something like that hot. You know I see all the olympic women athletes with the exact same 44E boobs, yeah right. What's worse is that someone is living out a fantasy when they create these mutant meshes (used to be a 3D model term).
Most of all again it's a console problem or most of them are so who cares. Since the boys each got their own comp we have not had to purchase a single console or game for a console with the exception of a Wii because it's different.
Personally I think the post should be moved to the console section where it applies :)

JemyM
05-29-07, 12:37 AM
I would say that the worst trend is dumbing down popular gameseries for consoles or create crappy console ports. There have been a bit too many of thoose lately.

CaptNKILL
05-29-07, 04:49 AM
I would say that the worst trend is dumbing down popular gameseries for consoles or create crappy console ports. There have been a bit too many of thoose lately.
:werd:

That should be the number one worst trend in video games...

Shaitan
05-29-07, 09:15 AM
1 of THE worst things to ever come along was "developers usage of encouraging=FORCING gameplay Class reliance. " BF 2 is a fine example. Gaming took a huge nosedive since Devs adopted this B/S.

Or the having to log into the Devs servers before being able to play the fuxoring game.

Not being able to just host your own server.

nekrosoft13
05-29-07, 09:19 AM

true, very true