PDA

View Full Version : Giants what a game!!!!

mwat
03-27-03, 05:40 PM
It's amazing!!!!! The MP owns.

Cheers

Chalnoth
03-27-03, 06:24 PM
Yeah, Giants is good. The only real problem is that there's no save anywhere in the single player campaign. It's rather a hassle when you play one of the longer, base-building missions for a couple of hours, and then lose and have to start all over again.

digitalwanderer
03-27-03, 07:28 PM
For some reason I just found the jump packs in that game amazingly fun. :)

It is a great game, now I'm gonna have to go and dig it out and see how much better it runs compared to the first time I played it. :D (I like going back to games that didn't run so hot for me a coupe of years ago and seeing them run like butter with all details maxxed....I'm weird that way. ;) )

Matthyahuw
03-27-03, 11:27 PM
never got passed the falling smarties lvl, screw it...

good thing I got it free (no not warez!!! Audigy Gamer)

SnakeEyes
03-28-03, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
never got passed the falling smarties lvl, screw it...

good thing I got it free (no not warez!!! Audigy Gamer)

You got stuck there too! :D

Of course, I still like the game, but at the time I was too much involved in UT to spend the little extra time I needed to successfully save those Smarties, and then along came UT2003..

Giants is one of those games I keep nearby for the day when I become bored with whatever's currently at the top of my heap (UT2003 still, at the moment). Along with Sacrifice, Black and White, etc. ;)

styles-T
03-28-03, 12:10 PM
Yeah I enjoyed it as well..

I also enjoyed Sacrifice - they come out around the same time..

Good eye candy...

nin_fragile14
03-28-03, 12:46 PM
Awesome game... the freedom and scope of it (due to the jetpack) is incredible.

nin_fragile14
03-28-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
(I like going back to games that didn't run so hot for me a coupe of years ago and seeing them run like butter with all details maxxed....I'm weird that way. ;) )

Haha, I do the same thing! I even installed Quake 2 to see it run at 500 fps. :eek:

Chalnoth
03-28-03, 12:54 PM
That falling smarties level isn't that hard...the easiest way is to just find one smartie who is directly above a platform that is relatively high (I usually pick one of two places closest to the dropoff point), and just keep getting that smartie. They keep "repoping."

Nutty
03-28-03, 03:01 PM
Yeah I loved the game too.. The cut-scenes are hillarious!

My original copy came with my gf3 from nvidia, but as the board was bust I sent it back with the card, but didn't get a new copy with the new card! DOH!

I picked it up later when it was cheap.. One of my all time fave games that.

deejaya
03-28-03, 04:46 PM
I fell victim to the falling smarties level too. Kept running out of time, I nearly managed to get enough but kept falling in the water getting my a$$ bit by piranha's. I got it for free too in a way, my mate gave it to me cos his PC broke :D

The Baron
03-28-03, 05:20 PM
I got to the last race level, then I said "Screw Dat."

Chalnoth
03-29-03, 12:06 AM
Wow, am I the only one here who has beaten this game?

Personally, I thought it was a great game, though most of the jokes were finished about midway through the reaper campaign.

Of course, some of the later kabuto levels were very frustrating. Most of the earlier levels only took me a couple of tries.

Clockwork
03-29-03, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Chalnoth

Personally, I thought it was a great game, though most of the jokes were finished about midway through the reaper campaign.

Of course, some of the later kabuto levels were very frustrating. Most of the earlier levels only took me a couple of tries.

No, I managed to finish this game also. Overall it's a great game. It did lose momentum near the end of the game though....

digitalwanderer
03-29-03, 07:45 AM

I beat the speeder race and got to the final guy, (The giant, I'm a guessing), but then crashed my system and by the time I had gotten it all rebuilt never went back to finish it.

I couldn't find my original disks, so I'm downloading some back-ups to finish it with. :) (Really, I couldn't find my dang disks...this is one of those rare times for me when warez is actually my legal backup. ;) )

mwat
03-29-03, 11:43 AM
I actually played the demo for the longest time and then finally bought it off eBay for $5.50, a very good deal. The size of the islands still amazes me. It's hard to think this game is as old as it is.

Cheers

Nutty
03-29-03, 12:58 PM
Yeah I finished it too.. Found the kabuto levels the hardest, mainly cos he was so slow at moving upto targets. The ground attack he does, where the whole earth ripples is top!

Master
03-30-03, 06:07 AM
It's rather a hassle when you play one of the longer, base-building missions for a couple of hours, and then lose and have to start all over again. hehe, actually I found it pretty challenging. There`s no better feeling than building your base for an hour or more and then you die !

What was better were the crashes at base-missions. Actually I managed to beat the first base mission for Meccs after some 20 tries, where 15 or more were just crashes. Now I can beat it under 20 minutes which is pretty cool IMO - you can play the building missions as a quick-play (never would have thought that at the time when I started to play this game).
never got passed the falling smarties lvl, screw it... There was a patch fixing this issue. It was enough to collect some 4 or 5 smarties. At the time there was a thread when somebody was complaining he caught 150 smarties and it still didn`t finish. :D
Wow, am I the only one here who has beaten this game? I finished this game at least 15 times from beginning to end. Although currently I`m usually playing only the building missions.

and see how much better it runs compared to the first time I played it. Damn, the first time I played it I had Celeron 448 with TNT2. It was totally unplayable. Next upgrade to Duron 750 & GF2 didn`t help anything, another one with TBird 900 finally helped. And the GF3 with XP2100 finally rocks in 1600x1200x32 ! Although I could imagine 16xAF, but don`t have the ATI power :banghead:
Giants is one of those games that really start to shine in res.1280 and higher !

Regarding Kabuto, his levels were tough, but his ground attack was SWEEEEEET with sound volume at max. My whole room shook when I put him down. Great !
Now I`m gonna play it again !

Kruno
03-30-03, 06:54 AM

Yeh, you are the only person in this world who knows how to play games. :p
The rest of us fumble. ;)

Pafet
04-01-03, 02:28 PM
That Kabuto looked really impresive with those bumps on GF2MX
ran at like 2 fps but still managed to get past that last level with those pesky withces...

Greg
04-05-03, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit late to this thread.

Falling smarties... Yep, that's where I gave up as well. I'm not the kind of player who enjoys repeating things over and over and over. Perhaps that's why I prefer PC games.

DaveW
04-07-03, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
I got to the last race level, then I said "Screw Dat."

I used the cheat to skip the last water-race level. It was too hard and very annoying after trying it 12 times. Apart from that it was a good game.

The falling smarties level wasn't too hard. You will see rocks falling by the smartie that will fall next, just stand under him, slightly to the side and fly at him just before he hits the ground.

Giants was a really buggy game when first released though, especially multiplayer.