PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Game Stream 700w enough for 8800GTS SLi?

Pages : [1] 2

Burnt_Ram
05-27-07, 05:42 PM
hey all,

well the topic says it all. from what i can tell this PS should power my 8800's. all opinions are most welcome :)

kevJ420
05-27-07, 06:12 PM
it should.

as long as it has a total of like 50 amps on the 12 v rail(s) then it should run smoothly.

Burnt_Ram
05-27-07, 06:37 PM
it should.

as long as it has a total of like 50 amps on the 12 v rail(s) then it should run smoothly.
4 rails @ 15 amp each

john19055
05-28-07, 09:07 AM
Yes it will run a 8800GTS sli setup just fine.I have ran the 8800GTS SLI setup( or the sytem in my signature) on a SilverStone Zues 560watt that only had one 38amp 12v rail and it ran it fine.

Burnt_Ram
05-29-07, 10:12 AM
Yes it will run a 8800GTS sli setup just fine.I have ran the 8800GTS SLI setup( or the sytem in my signature) on a SilverStone Zues 560watt that only had one 38amp 12v rail and it ran it fine.
wow your lucky! my 550w EPS 36a wont run mine, and the fortron booster is a joke as far as 8800's go :(

Joe Public
05-29-07, 11:52 AM
4 rails @ 15 amp each

Keep in mind that the split 12A rails aren't always split. On my Corsair 620W it says it has 3 x 18A rails, when in reality it's one combined 50A rail. (which is a good thing).

CaptNKILL
05-29-07, 11:53 AM
Yep, should be fine.

Madpistol
05-29-07, 01:51 PM
Well I have that PSU in my main rig, and it's rock solid on 1 8800 GTX. It has 2 PCI-e connectors, so I would assume it would be rock solid on an 8800 GTS SLI system. ;)

Redeemed
05-29-07, 02:34 PM
I used the OCZ GameXstream to power my rig not too log ago. Worked without a hitch. It's more than sufficient for 8800GTS SLi. ;)

Burnt_Ram
05-30-07, 10:01 AM
I used the OCZ GameXstream to power my rig not too log ago. Worked without a hitch. It's more than sufficient for 8800GTS SLi. ;) perfect, i wanted someone that actually used one for 8800 SLi to chime in :) but just to clarify. you used the 700w model correct?

licker
05-30-07, 11:36 AM
perfect, i wanted someone that actually used one for 8800 SLi to chime in :) but just to clarify. you used the 700w model correct?

I currently have a 600W OCZ in mine with the 8800GTS 640mb in SLI and it WASNT enought for my system. It was kinda weird, the system would boot fine and run windows without a hitch but as soon as I started playing games like BF2 or FEAR it was like someone would just pull the power on my system. To fix the problem I bought a Thermaltake 250W 5.25 bay powersupply and I just run one card off of that and one card off the OCZ. Everything is rock solid. I think you should be fine on your 700W although to be sure I would probably go for the 800W or 850W just to give yourself a little head room. :afro:

Burnt_Ram
05-30-07, 12:35 PM
I currently have a 600W OCZ in mine with the 8800GTS 640mb in SLI and it WASNT enought for my system. It was kinda weird, the system would boot fine and run windows without a hitch but as soon as I started playing games like BF2 or FEAR it was like someone would just pull the power on my system. To fix the problem I bought a Thermaltake 250W 5.25 bay powersupply and I just run one card off of that and one card off the OCZ. Everything is rock solid. I think you should be fine on your 700W although to be sure I would probably go for the 800W or 850W just to give yourself a little head room. :afro:
i tried running one card off my 550w, and one off my 300w Fortron, it is fine in windows but my performance is just terrible. for eg: one card i score 9300k in 3dmark06, and 9999k with SLi. i'm attributing this performance problem to not enough power? i tried SFR, but i can even get the load bar to show, so i'm not even 100% sure SLi is working :rolleyes: how can you tell besides using SFR?

licker
05-30-07, 02:07 PM
i tried running one card off my 550w, and one off my 300w Fortron, it is fine in windows but my performance is just terrible. for eg: one card i score 9300k in 3dmark06, and 9999k with SLi. i'm attributing this performance problem to not enough power? i tried SFR, but i can even get the load bar to show, so i'm not even 100% sure SLi is working :rolleyes: how can you tell besides using SFR?

First off I would verify that your Device Manager shows 2 8800's, 2nd Make sure your power is correctly hooked up to the MB. Like for instance on my board when I first got the cards I didn't hook up the power for the PCI slots so I ran into all kinds of problems. 3rd you can use the Nvidia control panel to confirm that SLI is running, there should be a option in there to enable and disable SLI..you can also use Rivatuner to monitor and verify that your sli is working. If none of that works, Pull out one of the cards, remove the driver, re-install the driver, verify that the single card is working correctly, shut the computer down and insert the 2nd card, hook up the SLI connector along with power and power you system back on. Once you get into windows a little message should appear above the Nvida Control panel in your tray that says "Sli is installed but is not enabled" Once you see that little message you should be able to open your Nvidia control panel and enable SLI. Hope this helps! :cool:

Burnt_Ram
05-30-07, 02:20 PM
First off I would verify that your Device Manager shows 2 8800's, 2nd Make sure your power is correctly hooked up to the MB. Like for instance on my board when I first got the cards I didn't hook up the power for the PCI slots so I ran into all kinds of problems. 3rd you can use the Nvidia control panel to confirm that SLI is running, there should be a option in there to enable and disable SLI..you can also use Rivatuner to monitor and verify that your sli is working. If none of that works, Pull out one of the cards, remove the driver, re-install the driver, verify that the single card is working correctly, shut the computer down and insert the 2nd card, hook up the SLI connector along with power and power you system back on. Once you get into windows a little message should appear above the Nvida Control panel in your tray that says "Sli is installed but is not enabled" Once you see that little message you should be able to open your Nvidia control panel and enable SLI. Hope this helps! :cool:
i have both card's showing in the device manager, and SLi is enabled. RT shows "three" cores? the weird part is NV control panel has never told me that i have sli. i had to go in and enable maunally, and another strange thing is, nHancer does'nt detect sli? sli seems like it's sorta working because my 06 score goes up, but very little ... i never had any issues when i had 7800 SLi ...

Burnt_Ram
05-30-07, 02:23 PM
another thing: what drivers work for 8800 sli? i heard some dont work proper! PS, i'm using XP

licker
05-30-07, 03:10 PM
another thing: what drivers work for 8800 sli? i heard some dont work proper! PS, i'm using XP

I use the drivers from the Nvidia website, whatever the latest forceware drivers are. If I were you I would just start from scratch and by that I mean pulling one of the cards and completely uninstalling all of the drivers and the controll panel software using DriverCleaner Pro. I'm almost certain that your nvidiacontrol panel has a settings page in there for enabling and disabling sli. I know that it doesnt enable SLI automatically once you put the second card in there u have to do that in the control panel. When you say enable SLI manually do you mean enabling the setting in the NControl panel or some other method?

HeavyH20
05-30-07, 03:22 PM
I used that exact PSU, a C2D 6600 and 8800 GTS SLI with no issues. I also kind of worked with 8800 GTX SLI, but not with a C2D quad core CPU. Tried that.

Burnt_Ram
05-31-07, 10:07 AM
I use the drivers from the Nvidia website, whatever the latest forceware drivers are. If I were you I would just start from scratch and by that I mean pulling one of the cards and completely uninstalling all of the drivers and the controll panel software using DriverCleaner Pro. I'm almost certain that your nvidiacontrol panel has a settings page in there for enabling and disabling sli. I know that it doesnt enable SLI automatically once you put the second card in there u have to do that in the control panel. When you say enable SLI manually do you mean enabling the setting in the NControl panel or some other method? ya, i had to enable sli in the control panel. i didnt get a pop-up like i did when i had 7800 sli.

Burnt_Ram
05-31-07, 10:08 AM
I used that exact PSU, a C2D 6600 and 8800 GTS SLI with no issues. I also kind of worked with 8800 GTX SLI, but not with a C2D quad core CPU. Tried that. another testimonial is always good! thx, it looks like i might have to buy that ps.

Redeemed
05-31-07, 03:05 PM
perfect, i wanted someone that actually used one for 8800 SLi to chime in :) but just to clarify. you used the 700w model correct?

Yes, I was using the 700watt model. Not using it anymore cause it is now being used in another rig. ;)

The 700watt version is more than sufficient for 8800GTS SLi.

And yes, just use the latest ones from nVidia's website.

Burnt_Ram
05-31-07, 03:08 PM
Yes, I was using the 700watt model. Not using it anymore cause it is now being used in another rig. ;)

The 700watt version is more than sufficient for 8800GTS SLi.

And yes, just use the latest ones from nVidia's website.can i ask what your score's are in 3dmark05, and 06?

i think mine are a bit low, even for an AMD cpu.

06: 10,359

05: 14,654

Redeemed
05-31-07, 03:16 PM
can i ask what your score's are in 3dmark05, and 06?

i think mine are a bit low, even for an AMD cpu.

06: 10,359

05: 14,654

3DMark06 wont run in Vista x64. Also, due to heat issues I'm only running a single GTS right now... but this is my 05 score with one GTS:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=3031147

The heat issues are caused due to my current tower being too small, thus airflow is heavily restricted. I'm buying a larger case which should eliminate this problem. Once that new case arrives and I get the components installed in it, I will run 05 and 06 again w/ SLi.

Madpistol
06-18-07, 08:24 PM
Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a complaint about this PSU.

The fan on it has started making an annoying buzzing noise (possibly bad bearings) after only 6 months of use. Apparently, I'm not the only one that's having this problem either.

Keep this in mind if you are thinking about buying it. It's a great price, but be prepared to RMA it when the fan goes out. On the bright side, OCZ does honor it's 3 year warranty on PSUs.

Burnt_Ram
06-18-07, 09:46 PM
Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a complaint about this PSU.

The fan on it has started making an annoying buzzing noise (possibly bad bearings) after only 6 months of use. Apparently, I'm not the only one that's having this problem either.

Keep this in mind if you are thinking about buying it. It's a great price, but be prepared to RMA it when the fan goes out. On the bright side, OCZ does honor it's 3 year warranty on PSUs.great, thx for the head's up.

Madpistol
06-20-07, 01:11 AM
I'm in the process of RMAing this PSU. The buzzing noise on the fan has escalated in just the last few days, and at this point, it's kind of scaring me. It really does sound like something is wrong with it.

So yea. Buy this PSU at your own risk.