PDA

View Full Version : Ram Question

sammy sung
05-27-07, 11:52 PM
As the prices have dropped considerably on ram recently i took the plunge and ordered these today:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_sli_ready_edition_dual_channel

Theyre like 60$ less than i paid for my current 533 set in december so i figured it was a good deal.

As the 680i chipset is kinda picky on ram and these are supposedly really good on the ASUS striker (that contains the same chipset as my mobo ,sb and nb) i just wonder if anyone has personal experience with them ? Do i just use SPD timings or are other timings preferable ? Voltage ? I have zero experience with ram of this speed.Since these are twice the speed that im using now and also sli-ram so im a little in the dark here.I have great airflow in my case and a 70cfm 120 mm fan close to the rambay,would these need additional ram-coolers than the heatspreaders ?I've seen many here use the ocz ramcooler,would i need something like that ?

kevJ420
05-28-07, 12:15 AM
i think spd would probably be right since they're ocz. I had to turn my crucial ballistix a bit down for them to be stable.

The most important thing is that you don't make the voltage any higher than 2.1. 2.2 V and higher is too close to the 2.4 V danger zone.

sammy sung
05-28-07, 01:05 AM
i think spd would probably be right since they're ocz. I had to turn my crucial ballistix a bit down for them to be stable.

The most important thing is that you don't make the voltage any higher than 2.1. 2.2 V and higher is too close to the 2.4 V danger zone.

You sure? Looked through the specs and ocz has the voltage listed at 2.3v ?

1066MHz DDR2
EPP 5-5-5-15
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Available in 2GB (2x1024) dual channel kits
Also available in a 1GB module
Unbuffered
SLI-Ready XTC Heatspreader*
Lifetime Warranty
2.3 Volts
240 Pin DIMM

Special Features

NVIDIAŽ SLI™ certified
2.35V EVP**

Part Numbers

2GB Dual Channel Kit PN – OCZ2N1066SR2GK

john19055
05-28-07, 10:47 AM
If you are going to run them at 1066 you might need that 2.3v ,but most people don't run them that high so they are able to run the voltage lower.

sammy sung
05-28-07, 12:06 PM
If you are going to run them at 1066 you might need that 2.3v ,but most people don't run them that high so they are able to run the voltage lower.

Ah ok,that was my plan to run them at 1066,atleast if im not gonna clock higher than 2.8ghz .Havent had much luck in getting it any higher ,will try using 1400 -1600 fsb with 7-800mhz ram and if it still wont work i will run them at 1066/1200 fsb unlinked.Thanks for the reply:)

Inf1n1tyComplex
05-28-07, 09:51 PM
Seeing as there is already a thread about ram... A friend of mine... Correction a tight assed friend of mine has 2 x 512 mg ram on his computer and he wants to add 2 x 1 gig ram to make a total of 3 gig... Now the timings and speed of the ram are the same but he is worried that you cannot add 2 x 1 gig ram sticks with 2 x 512 mg ram sticks... Also it seems the voltage for the ram is rated as the same... Any help would be appreciated so I can get some rest from his indecisive complaining... Thanks in advance...