PDA

View Full Version : Why can't a board except either SLI or Crossfire

john19055
05-28-07, 10:02 AM
If a board has two PCIe 16x slots then why can't it support either SLI or CrossFire or could it if the company wanted it to,Like the new Intel P35 Chipset.

Toss3
05-28-07, 10:22 AM
If a board has two PCIe 16x slots then why can't it support either SLI or CrossFire or could it if the company wanted it to,Like the new Intel P35 Chipset.
Most of the boards out there with two or more pci-e slots support either crossfire(amdti and intel chipsets) or sli(nforce) already, so I don't get what you're trying to say or ask here?

Trademark
05-28-07, 10:51 AM
He's asking why there isn't a board with both on them. Probably because it won't work. Conflicts etc.

Starscream
05-28-07, 12:50 PM
It's just a driver thing, Nvidia only wants SLI running on Nvidia chipsets. There used to be hacked forceware drivers floating around that let SLI work on any board with 2 slots. Google is your friend.

Also

accept
1. to take or receive (something offered); receive with approval or favor: to accept a present; to accept a proposal.
2. to agree or consent to; accede to: to accept a treaty; to accept an apology.
3. to respond or answer affirmatively to: to accept an invitation.
4. to undertake the responsibility, duties, honors, etc., of: to accept the office of president.
5. to receive or admit formally, as to a college or club.
6. to accommodate or reconcile oneself to: to accept the situation.
7. to regard as true or sound; believe: to accept a claim; to accept Catholicism.
8. to regard as normal, suitable, or usual.
9. to receive as to meaning; understand.
10. Commerce. to acknowledge, by signature, as calling for payment, and thus to agree to pay, as a draft.
11. (in a deliberative body) to receive as an adequate performance of the duty with which an officer or a committee has been charged; receive for further action: The report of the committee was accepted.
12. to receive or contain (something attached, inserted, etc.): This socket won't accept a three-pronged plug.
13. to receive (a transplanted organ or tissue) without adverse reaction. Compare reject (def. 7).

–verb (used without object) 14. to accept an invitation, gift, position, etc. (sometimes fol. by of).

except
1.with the exclusion of; excluding; save; but: They were all there except me.
–conjunction
2.only; with the exception (usually fol. by that): parallel cases except that one is younger than the other.
3.otherwise than; but (fol. by an adv., phrase, or clause): well fortified except here.
4.Archaic. unless.
—Idiom
5.except for, if it were not for: She would travel more except for lack of money.

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME: orig., ptp. adj. < L exceptus (ptp. of excipere to take out), equiv. to ex- ex-1 + -ceptus (comb. form of captus, ptp. of capere to take)]

Trademark
05-28-07, 12:54 PM
Lmao, I think he got the point

Toss3
05-28-07, 01:48 PM
He's asking why there isn't a board with both on them. Probably because it won't work. Conflicts etc.
But he said either... :o Well, I guess it's because nvidia wants to sell more chipsets.

Trademark
05-28-07, 01:49 PM
He did say either, not like I'm blaming you, but I knew what he meant

Madpistol
05-28-07, 03:37 PM
He's asking a legitimate question and all you guys can do is bicker about whether he's saying "accept" or "except" :rolleyes:

God I love these forums. ;)

Toss3
05-28-07, 03:54 PM
He's asking a legitimate question and all you guys can do is bicker about whether he's saying "accept" or "except" :rolleyes:

God I love these forums. ;)
And it's been answered at least a thousand times already... and it's much more fun to make fun of his grammar. :POKE: