PDA

View Full Version : cable modem going bad?

Pages : [1] 2

Tr1cK
05-28-07, 01:30 PM
I've got a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 that I purchased about 4 years ago. It's seen some heavy use through the years. I have moved since and have a new ISP which has been working almost perfectly until about 2 weeks ago. I started getting a ton of connection drops. My cabling through the house is like new or new. The signal levels on the modem are as perfect as you can ask for. I was wondering do they actually just go bad? The thing doesn't seem to run hot and isn't dirty at all.

mullet
05-28-07, 01:42 PM
You do have some age on the modem but the surfboard is a top modem I have the SB5100 as well. Do these steps:

bring up a browser.
type in the address bar. 192.168.100.1
go to the signal page, take a screen & post.

Tr1cK
05-28-07, 02:10 PM
Near perfect.

Attached.

mullet
05-28-07, 02:14 PM
Yeah looks great really.
The downstream @ 0 is perfect.
I was thinking your upstream power level would be the culprit but @ 40 thats awesome, if it get close to 60 the modem starts to cycle and has a hard time locking.
The only thing I can think of is there doing node work or the modem is getting old in the tooth.

BTW I live north of you about 1 hours.

Tr1cK
05-28-07, 02:45 PM
That's what I thought. This has been going on for about 2 weeks or so. I guess it's finally giving up on me. When it downloads, it's hitting my cap speeds at 12mb with no problem. The Cox tech rep said the modem is resetting itself, over 120 times in one day. I hope it is the modem. I don't want to waste money on buying a new one if it ain't.

1 hour north? You must be around Lexington I presume?

mullet
05-28-07, 02:50 PM
Well I guess im 2 hours away, Waynesboro. I just moved to VA 1.5 years ago. You could always rent a modem from COX and if that works just go buy one if it fix's the reboot issues.

Tr1cK
05-28-07, 02:56 PM
The only problem is, it would take like a week or more to get a tech out here to put the modem in. I don't think they support their modem with self install anymore, but I'm not sure.

retsam
05-28-07, 03:08 PM
try a diffrent nic....that might be your problem...

Tr1cK
05-28-07, 04:06 PM
Update: I went out and bought the Linksys BEFCMU10 and have it running now. The net seems 'snappier' so I'm hoping problem resolved. *crosses fingers*

Vik1dk
05-29-07, 03:59 PM
Im haveing problems with my connection and you sounds to know about cable
it feels like its stalling, how does these numbers look? Is negative downstream power level a good or bad thing?

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
306000000 Hz
Modulation
64QAM
Bit Rate
8600000 bits/sec
Power Level
-8.1 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
36.5 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
36800000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
560000 bits/sec
Power Level
44.0 dBmV

J-Mag
05-29-07, 04:18 PM
I am curious were you getting drops at certain times of the day?

Vik1dk
05-29-07, 04:35 PM
No its the same, day or night and according to my ISP we are only a handfull connected in my area.
Up/down speed are fine 980-995kB down and 68kB up on a 8mbit/512kbit line, but as i said it feels like its stalling

grey_1
05-29-07, 05:02 PM
Im haveing problems with my connection and you sounds to know about cable
it feels like its stalling, how does these numbers look? Is negative downstream power level a good or bad thing?
-8 is bad. Easiest thing to check for is loose fittings, lines that may have been chewed by pets, check any splitters or fittings on the side of your house for tightness, chewing, bare spots etc.

Vik1dk
05-29-07, 05:06 PM
Ok ill check it out, Thanks

mullet
05-30-07, 12:21 AM
-8 is bad. Easiest thing to check for is loose fittings, lines that may have been chewed by pets, check any splitters or fittings on the side of your house for tightness, chewing, bare spots etc.

I second that.

Downstream Channel
SNR @ 35 is good
-8.1 dBmV power level is not horrible but not good either. Most cable systems will allow -10 to +10 but thats the ex stream limit IMO.

Upstream
power level @ 44.0 dBmV = nice

Make sure you don't have a splitter from the wall outlet in your house going to your TV and Modem.

J-Mag
05-30-07, 12:02 PM
Make sure you don't have a splitter from the wall outlet in your house going to your TV and Modem.

How does one watch TV and use the internet then?

mullet
05-30-07, 12:13 PM
I am talking about the single outlet in say a living room. Most people just pop a splitter in there splitting the outlet for the TV and Modem this is not a good idea at all as it degrades the signal to the modem. The best thing to do is call a tech to install a separate outlet for the modem itself. This will not work if your in a apartment with only 1 outlet.

J-Mag
05-30-07, 12:22 PM
I am talking about the single outlet in say a living room. Most people just pop a splitter in there splitting the outlet for the TV and Modem this is not a good idea at all as it degrades the signal to the modem. The best thing to do is call a tech to install a separate outlet for the modem itself. This will not work if your in a apartment with only 1 outlet.

Do techs run new lines from the pole when you ask for another outlet?

mullet
05-30-07, 12:24 PM
Do techs run new lines from the pole when you ask for another outlet?

NO, but maybe the right tech with a little money under the table might. I bet grey_1 would haha.

Tr1cK
05-30-07, 12:37 PM
If you can, split the modem and TVs first, then split again for multiple TVs.

mullet
05-30-07, 12:41 PM
If you can, split the modem and TVs first, then split again for multiple TVs.

:thumbsup:

grey_1
05-31-07, 11:17 AM
NO, but maybe the right tech with a little money under the table might. I bet grey_1 would haha.
Just caught this. I don't do cable wiseguy. :D

But I do have 2 drops to the house..One dedicated. It can make a huge difference given the loss over a long drop.

mullet
05-31-07, 11:42 PM
Just caught this. I don't do cable wiseguy. :D

But I do have 2 drops to the house..One dedicated. It can make a huge difference given the loss over a long drop.

I thought you did cable installs / line tech at one time, hmm maybe it was another guy. Awesome on the 2 drops, I am sure it made a huge difference.

Vik1dk
06-01-07, 08:59 AM
When you say splitter you mean that radio/tv in-radio/tv/data out thing you put in the wall outlet?
I called my ISP and they had no clue at all what i was talking about so i tried another splitter and that was worse(-9,4dBmV)
then i pulled the outlet out and connected the cable to the incomming cable before the radio/tv sockets.
And WOW what a difference, web pages loads faster and playing a FPS i can actually kill ppl instead of shooting blanks.
So a big thank you to all of you :thumbsup:
This is what i get now:

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
306000000 Hz
Modulation
64QAM
Bit Rate
8600000 bits/sec
Power Level
-4.6 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
37.1 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
29600000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
560000 bits/sec
Power Level
43.5 dBmV

mullet