PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Help

ChiBChombo
05-28-07, 04:44 PM
Hello, I'm flying over to USA on Wednsday, and I have a few questions, My comp spec is on my sig right now.

I was wondering... I might be able to upgrade to 2 8800 GTX Sli vid cards, but I'd also like to get a new Processor, but I need a new Mobo correct?

So I was wondering... If I get a new processor i'm getting the Q6600 and the 8800 GTX Sli vid cards, any idea what Mobo I should get that works best for gaming and easy to set up etc?

And now last question...

I built my comp on my own, and Its perfect right now... but I don't know a few things... For example, If I get a new Mobo and processor, and I takwe out old one and put in the new one etc... Will my comp start like a NEW comp at all? Or do I have to run a format before doing this in any way or will I be able to keep all my stuff?

Whats recommended to do here? Format > Put new stuff in? Or what?

Thank you.

gigapower
05-28-07, 06:41 PM
Not only will you need a new Mobo and CPU if you want to go Intel, you'll need some DDR2-800 memory also. As for a mobo, I'd get the EVGA 680i personally. The type of change you are thinking about doing I'd format just to be on the safe side.

daforce
05-28-07, 09:28 PM
I would say that if you didnt format I would be suprised if your computer started at all.
You would be using the wrong motherboard drivers the wrong IDE/Sata drivers, the wrong video drivers..etc..etc.

So plan ahead back your stuff up and start a fresh :D

ChiBChombo
05-29-07, 02:12 AM
So... Here is what I'd do if I upgrade.

I'd first format my computer completly using the ASUS CD (Right?). After its formatted, I'd turn it off, take mobo out, and put in the new Mobo + CPU And the Ram (Any advice on these?). Then I'll put it all inside the case, put the vid cards, etc... Turn it on, and it should work correctly, yes?

daforce
05-29-07, 02:41 AM
Doesnt matter when you format it (either before you put in the new hardware or after), but you will format using your windows XP CD not your Asus CD.
You will need to format C:\.. best to just remove the partition and then recreate it and then format that as NTFS. Then install windows onto that parition. (this can all be done via the windows setup.. so boot off your XP cd)
Note that you will loose all data on your C drive when you either format it or re-partition it. so back it all up first or copy it to another drive.

Basic procedure
1. install new hardware
2. format C:\ and install windows
3. install all necessary drivers.... best to start with mtherboard first.
4. Update windows xp
5. enjoy enjoy enjoy

ChiBChombo
05-29-07, 02:45 AM
How exacvtly do you remove the partition, recreate it, and format it as NTFS?

I havent formatted many times to know much about this, I don't mind losing my stuff as long as my comp works perfectly fine after. And, If I get 8800 GTX cards I'll probably move to Windows Vista.

daforce
05-29-07, 03:33 AM
I wouldnt necessarilly jump into vista, the driver support is poor, and your 3D performance is significantly worse than XP. I would wait awhile.

Well you boot of the XP CD, and when its up and runing you will be able to choose to install XP, then it will ask where you want to install it. You want to highlight and remove the partition on C:\ and then recreate it, it will then ask you how you want to format it just choose NTFS. Once thats done teh installtion should continue.

I cant recall the steps 100% but google yourself up a handy guide and you should be set to go :)

ChiBChombo
05-29-07, 01:19 PM
OK so how does this sound, from my sig to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013
Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6800
2x eVGA 8800 Ultra Sli
Need advice on some good RAM cards please!
Creative SB X-Fi
Raptor 10,000 RPM HDD
PC 1kW Power & Turbo Cool
CoolIT Freezone CPU Cooler
x2 SUNON 120mm Fan
Plextor DVD-RW
LEXA Case

daforce
05-29-07, 08:11 PM
Thats basically the best rig you could buy at the moment.

For ram get corsair dominator 800mhz.

ChiBChombo
05-29-07, 08:32 PM
Alright so, if I do get these stuff, what I do is:

-Put in the new Mobo, CPU, Vid cards, and Ram
-Turn on computer with the Windows XP CD in
-Format
-Start comp normally and install drivers

Thats it? And, how hard is it to change from one windows to another? I'd like to go Vista later on when everything is supported more etc.

And as for RAM, these? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145179

Edit: One last question, I have 1 Hard drive, If I buy another one, is it possible to move ALL my games like WoW, oblivion, FFXI, etc to the new one, so when I format the stuff don't get deleted? Or will that cause problems cus I didn't exactly install them in it?

daforce
05-29-07, 09:46 PM
Yep those steps are spot on.

Upgrading isnt too hard you can either upgrade or just reinstall again. Same procedure but without installing the new hardware :)

That ram is ok, but unless you plan to overclock just get the 800mhz ram.

You can move all your games across onto a new drive, but there is a chance they may not work, as they will not be technicall installed on the new operating system. Some games dont mind, some do. Its hit and miss. You could however backup all your saved games and your mydocuments folder and then that way when you re-install you wont have to start he games again, just re-install and copy over your saves.

ChiBChombo
05-29-07, 10:08 PM
Could you link me the RAM?

Edit: Sending you a PM instead, I'd like to ask a few things

daforce
05-29-07, 11:35 PM
PM replied :)