PDA

View Full Version : Why Is My Computer Freezing?!?!?!

Matthius
03-28-03, 02:59 AM
okay, my computer keeps locking up/freezing or what ever you want to call it. i dont know why either. the only thing i've done recently was overclock the cpu and then lowered it again. WHY DOES IT FREEZE?!?!?!?!!:eek:

i have a:

AMD XP2000+ (i overclocked it to 2100+)
jetway mobo
256ddr 2100 ram
geforce 4 mx 440
40gb hdd

oh yeah, and i reckon rd ram sucks....am i right?? well, i mean is it better than ddr or worse?

Kain
03-28-03, 03:03 AM
I think you can't even use RDRAM with AMD. DDR-SDRAM is better.

Matthius
03-28-03, 03:07 AM
yeh, thanks for that, but i was hoping to get a reply to the other question. and im not using rd ram. everyone that has rd ram says its the best, but there computers suck and go really slow

Matthyahuw
03-28-03, 12:02 PM
there's about 500 resons why it freezes, you have to be a bit more specific in what it does...

mwat
03-28-03, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
there's about 500 resons why it freezes, you have to be a bit more specific in what it does...
^YUP^

Riptide
03-28-03, 04:16 PM
How about for starters:

1) Is it a hard lockup (ie, can you move the mouse)?
2) Are you always in the same program when it happens?
3) If 2 is yes, does it always happen in the same spot?

Matthius
04-02-03, 02:30 AM
okay, sorry bout not being so specific and i know about how many different freezing things can happen, but im not in a specific program. it freezes when it starts up in the memory test thingie, even in the cmos setup or whatever its called when u press delete at that screen and even when i load xp.

trust me...i've had a lot of problems with freezing in the past. for about 2 years my computer would lock up whenever i tried using direct3d in ANYTHING. exept it wouldn't in opengl. but when i installed xp, everything was normal. i couldn't beleive it. it was like i had bought a new computer.

darkmiasma
04-02-03, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Matthius
yeh, thanks for that, but i was hoping to get a reply to the other question. and im not using rd ram. everyone that has rd ram says its the best, but there computers suck and go really slow

That's a nice generalization ... i have RDRAM and i think it kicks ass. My computer is much faster than most of my friends, and for my memory intensive programs, it can't be beat.

Maybe you shouldn't get some down on someone else's stuff, just because yours doesn't work.

- mike

jAkUp
04-02-03, 10:40 AM
you might have fried the memory when you oc'd the fsb... remember fsb also increases the memory speed. i would recommend trying a replacement from a friend or something

Matthyahuw
04-02-03, 12:02 PM
you have some thermal paste on top of the CPU?

cracked core?

bad RAM

bad motherboard

try swapping things around after re-seating your heatsink on the CPU...

Matthius
04-03-03, 05:27 AM
okay, all you "people who's brains are filt with usefull computer crap", now it only freezes sometimes, BUT when i start up, go into safe mode, then restart into normal mode, it doesn't freeze...HOLY CRAP!!! can anyone explain that? and to darkmiasma , sorry to tell u but i have this other computer, that has:

128sd ram
500 celeron cpu
some crap mobo
geforce2 440 32mb

and it loads stuff faster than my friends computer that has this:

128rd ram ":p "
p4 1.3ghz
some other crap mobo
geforce2 440 32mb

AND MINE LOADS GAMES WAY FASTER!!!!

darkmiasma
04-03-03, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Matthius
[snip] ... and to darkmiasma , sorry to tell u but i have this other computer, that has:

128sd ram
500 celeron cpu
some crap mobo
geforce2 440 32mb

and it loads stuff faster than my friends computer that has this:

128rd ram ":p "
p4 1.3ghz
some other crap mobo
geforce2 440 32mb

AND MINE LOADS GAMES WAY FASTER!!!!

Congratulations. Ask around, 850E chipset + 533 FSB P4 + PC1066 RDRAM is the best (although most expensive) combination possible.

jAkUp
04-03-03, 10:52 AM
yes rd ram is better... your system might load slower depending on different things... what windows version, how many apps you had in the background... how fu><ored the windows registry is... etc. etc. etc.

ALobpreis
04-04-03, 12:31 AM
Check your memory with www.memtest86.com . It's excellent.
Make the boot diskette, and let it run for half an hour or an hour (or let it finish). If you get no errors, then the memory combo is OK.

Did you try underclocking your CPU?
How far did you overclock it?

Matthius
04-07-03, 07:33 PM
nah, i haven't tried underclocking it, cause it only goes to 133 in the bios thing. thats what its on normally. and i overclocked it to about 140 or somethin like that. it can go anywere from 133mhz to 200mhz