PDA

View Full Version : Not enough resources?!?

einstein_314
05-28-07, 11:51 PM
Ok so here's the scoop. I have a Home Theater PC that up until today I've been running WinXP MCE on it. Well yesterday I got a birthday present, a Sharp 42" 1080P LCD....so now I've decided to go to Vista. I'd tried in the past but my old CRT TV was 640x480 and vista doesn't like that. So I hooked the TV up last night to WINXP MCE and it worked flawlessly. So today I installed Vista. But it won't detect the video card. Well it detects it, but in device manager it has a yellow exclamation mark. And in it's status it says "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Why is it doing this? It worked fine in XP...I didn't add any PCI cards or change ANYTHING. I've tried removing my soundcard and changing it's PCI slot. No change. And everything in the bios is disabled that I don't need (onboard audio, onboard video, serial ports, parallel port, IDE controller). There can't possibly be a resource shortage....Am I missing something? Should I try a reinstall of vista? maybe that will fix it? HELP!! Specs of HTPC are below:

-A64 3500+
-Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9-RH motherboard (with geforce 6150 onboard -video)
-evga 7800GTX
-audigy 2 ZS
-Vista x86 ultimate

thanks guys!

AthlonXP1800
05-28-07, 11:58 PM
Wow I never heard of that error before.

I found the error description on Microsoft site and they got recommended resolution to fix this problem:

Recommended resolution

Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller is not an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupted Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

einstein_314
05-29-07, 12:44 AM
yeah that's for windows XP though. Vista doesn't have the "troubleshoot" button. It just checks for a solution to the problem online and when it doens't find it it sends in an error report. I have no idea how to find out which devices are conflicting...

nekrosoft13
05-29-07, 12:47 AM
msinfo32?

that has Conflicts/sharing info

einstein_314
05-29-07, 01:28 AM
Haha, yeah I remembered that. It wasn't showing any conflicts regarding my video card.

I fixed my problem though!! I just needed to update my bios on the motherboard. Something to do with it allocating resources in a bad way for Vista. It all works now!! Vista on a 1080p HDTV = awesome :D