Krugar
05-29-07, 07:34 AM
I just need a second opinion on this...

My system:
ASUS M2NPV-VM BIOS Flashed to 901
AMD X2 4200+ CPU
7600 GT
Vista Ultimate x64

The system started giving me stop errors. It's never been overclocked, it was pretty much out of the box & into the chasis. I've forgotten the orignial collection of errors, but I decided to do a clean install of vista and update to the latest drivers from Asus & nVidia.

Then I hit a stop 7F & the system wouldn't post until I unplugged it for 2-3 minutes. So I replaced the power supply, thinking it has bad caps.

Things were perfect for about 2 days...

Now I've got stop A (netio.sys), D3 (Win32K.sys), 3B (NTkrnlmp.exe), 3B (win32k.sys), 3B (Ex64.sys) A couple 3Bs and As that didn't leave dump files, and the 7F is back.

Again I can't post after a 7F unless I unplug & let they system sit for 2-3 minutes. I occassionally get 'The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum.' on boot up now, just for fun.

So, I'm thinking I probably lost a cap on the mother board. I'm thinking I should replace it & do another clean install of vista. Before I spend any cash though I wanted a second opinion.

I'm thinking of switching to an X2 6000+ for the cpu. The system will never be over clocked, it's going to be used to play WoW (if I ever get free time again) and to work on my masters degree. I need reliability in vista x64 above all else, and I need to spend as little cash as possible.

Advice? Do you agree it's the mobo?

Thanks!

Trademark
05-29-07, 07:53 AM
Doesn't have to be the mobo, could be your HD aswell, or your power supply, or your mainboard.

Why is there never a standard solution that always works... :thumbdwn:

Krugar
05-29-07, 08:00 AM
Doesn't have to be the mobo, could be your HD aswell, or your power supply, or your mainboard.

Hmm... I've alread replaced the power supply so I don't *think* that would be it. How could it be the hard drive? (just trying to understand) Also isn't the mobo & main board the same thing?

Cheers!

Trademark
05-29-07, 08:21 AM
Yeh it is, my bad

Also I'm not exactly sure I understand you, how can you receive file errors during POST? You do know that POST = Power on Self test, the motherboard checks does a couple of checks, then a boot device (Hard drive in your case) is accessed.

This could be memory aswell, did you run memtest? Bad memory can cause some SERIOUS errors, including file corruption, crashes, unable to post. Also don't trust the BIOS memory checker.

Have you tried Windows XP? Maybe it works normally

I doubt it's the hard drive but it's possible.

Krugar
05-29-07, 08:25 AM
Yes you're correct, the file errors happen after the post, before the OS loads (if they happen).

I have run MS's memory tester all 11 tests from thier boot CD, it passed 5 cycles. I guess it could be RAM, but that doesn't explain why I have to unplug the system to recover from a stop 7F (double fault). Simply turning the system off doesn't work, it won't post.

All the other stop errors I'm experiencing can be recovered from with a restart.

Thanks!

Trademark
05-29-07, 08:35 AM
Try running Memtest86 for a couple of hours, very harsh mem stresstesting.

Well removing the power clears the memory, I'm not sure if resetting clears it effectivly.

Krugar
05-29-07, 08:50 AM
Try running Memtest86 for a couple of hours, very harsh mem stresstesting.

Well removing the power clears the memory, I'm not sure if resetting clears it effectivly.

I can give that a try when I get home tonight, but if it's a RAM issue, shouldn't it at least get to the RAM test in the POST?

Cheers!

nekrosoft13
05-29-07, 08:54 AM
either the memory or the hard drive

Krugar
05-29-07, 09:23 AM
You'll have to explain how the hard drive can cause these errors. That just doesn't make any sense to me...

Cheers!

nekrosoft13
05-29-07, 09:34 AM
You'll have to explain how the hard drive can cause these errors. That just doesn't make any sense to me...

Cheers!

bad sectors, when files are written to portions of hard drive that are damaged. when those files are then to be retrieved, you get the errors because files are corrupt.

Krugar
05-29-07, 09:58 AM
Okay for the driver related stops perhaps, however I believe they're largely symptoms and not the root cause.

The reason the hard drive makes no sense to me is that a stop 7F is usually hardware, either CPU, RAM, or BUS. I'm not over clocking so the CPU & RAM shouldn't suddenly go south on me.

Combine this with the fact that I have to unplug the system for a couple minutes to recover from a 7F (double fault). Suggest to me capicitors. What else holds power?

It's not a heat cool off issue, I've been monitoring for 2 weeks & the CPU hasn't crossed 39C the mobo sits under 33C There are no components that fail a touch test.

The failures also happen with the lid on or off.

So that keeps bringing me back to power, however more thoroughly testing the RAM is a valid point & I'll look into it.

Cheers!

Trademark
05-29-07, 10:13 AM
I bought brand new RAM, non overclocked and it had errors aswell. The BIOS memory tests are crap and only quicktest it. Memtest throws alot of heavy data on you're dimms and really pushes them to the edge, if you get no errors after 8 hours or so, it's fairly safe to say that your memory is good.

This is most likely a hard drive/memory issue.

nekrosoft13
05-29-07, 01:56 PM
orthos does a good job to torture your entire system, cpu, chipset, memory

Trademark
05-29-07, 04:16 PM
Yeah Orthos is a good tester, if it gives an error... you have a problem. Run it for an hour of 8

Krugar
05-30-07, 06:47 AM
Just to clarify, this isn't a new system, it's about 6 months old & it passed a 4 day burn in last December.

I've never seen RAM fail after installation unless something else caused it. i.e. power spike, over clocking what ever. All my equipment runs off of a UPS so it's pretty clean & I haven't over clocked this system.

Regardless, for the sake of experimentation, I've moved known good RAM over from one of my other systems, no joy.

I ghosted the drive to an external, disconnected the internal & booted off external. This also produced a stop 7F. (double fault)

I ran Memtest86 overnight (about 7.5 hours), no errors.

I don't have orthos, but I think this elminates the hard drive & memory. Possibly the CPU or Motherboard still.

Thoughts?