PDA

View Full Version : New Wii & PS3

Pages : [1] 2

nrdstrm
05-30-07, 02:07 AM
OK...I have semi made my decision on consoles...In the next week or two, I'll be picking up a Wii and a PS3...What I want to hear is, should I consider a 360 instead of the PS3 (the Wii is for sure if I can find one, it's a blast!)...I'm pretty set on the PS3, but I'd like to hear why some people (Except KevJ420) would rather have a 360....I can't promise you'll change my mind, but I always like to see what people think before a purchase....
Thanks!!!

kevJ420
05-30-07, 02:12 AM
The only reason people prefer the x360 is b/c it currently has more games.
It's inferior technically to the PS3 in just about every way.

nrdstrm
05-30-07, 02:19 AM
I'd like to edit my above post...KevJ420 (btw, is your name a reference to weed? J = Joint, 420 = pothead day/time)? Anway, read my edit above :)

kevJ420
05-30-07, 02:25 AM
I'd like to edit my above post...KevJ420 (btw, is your name a reference to weed? J = Joint, 420 = pothead day/time)? Anway, read my edit above :)

Yes.

Camp0rz
05-30-07, 02:33 AM
360 exclusives are pretty sweet, xbox live, cheaper, guitar hero, halo 3, forza 2 w/ microsoft racing wheel, large number of online players, achievements, marketplace, ace combat 6

That's what pops into my head.

Wolfhound
05-30-07, 02:38 AM
Xbox 360... why?, Gears of War, Halo 3, Halo wars (when released).... and cheaper than PS3, at least here

Wolfhound
05-30-07, 02:49 AM
The only reason people prefer the x360 is b/c it currently has more games.
It's inferior technically to the PS3 in just about every way.

I canīt argue with you that PS3 is technically superior to Xbox 360 but... look here: http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm is a developerīs perspective and Xbox 360 is clearly winning

NaitoSan
05-30-07, 02:59 AM
i've enjoyed my x360 more than ps3. it's because ps3 is lacking games and poor psn content. it'll start to pick up soon or later. blu-ray playback is nice, upscaled psx and ps2 games are also very nice. but price tag is pretty hefty so i'd pick x360 for superior live content, larger game library, costs less AND more supports from developers so far. i can't say about hd dvd addon because i don't have one.

wii, of course is a must to have. :D

Bearclaw
05-30-07, 07:31 AM
OK...I have semi made my decision on consoles...In the next week or two, I'll be picking up a Wii and a PS3...What I want to hear is, should I consider a 360 instead of the PS3 (the Wii is for sure if I can find one, it's a blast!)...I'm pretty set on the PS3, but I'd like to hear why some people (Except KevJ420) would rather have a 360....I can't promise you'll change my mind, but I always like to see what people think before a purchase....
Thanks!!!
LOL

|MaguS|
05-30-07, 07:42 AM
I would recommend you do some research regarding titles available on both platforms and see how many interest YOU. Look at current releases with future releases, don't forget to look at Xbox and PS2 titles aswell if you never had either console since both are backwards compatible and many PS2 games are must plays for anyone.

Main reason I said this is while I love my PS3 and it has seen more playtime then both my X360 and Wii others have different opinions. Some think the X360 has better titles which I can disagree with because many just don't interest me (People rave about Gears but I get bored of it quickly).

If you never owned a PS2 then I would recommend you get a PS3, with the wait for key titles to release later this year you can play some of the current titles and many many PS2 titles to keep you busy (God of War!), that is unless you find more games of interest on the X360 then that of the PS2.

PS: Rumors of EQOA2 coming to the PS3. ;)

Namrok
05-30-07, 07:55 AM
You know, to be perfectly honest, I've been spending most of my game time on my PS2 still. I play Guitar Hero 2 on the 360 quite a bit, but it could just as easily be on the PS2. The downloadable content I was so excited about turned out to be a giant rip off, and they are still just going to ***** out 80's editions and sequels instead of making them downloadable expansions. There are some pretty OK exclusives for the system. Gears is the only exceptional one IMO. Condemned is amazing too, but its also out for the PC. Achievements are addicting, but if you've never had them, you aren't missing anything.

I've been tempted to shell out $500 for a PS3 just for the improved backwards compatibility (upscaling and smoothing) and the bluray playback, but at the end of the day, it's just not worth it to me. Plus the only exclusives I'm remotely interested in are Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, and those aren't due for another year, and hopefully the PS3 will see a price drop by then.

My Wii has gotten very little playtime. But mostly because I only buy one game a month now and lately it's been either a DS game or a PS2 game. There are numerous Wii games I sort of wanted, but always something else I wanted more. If this isn't a problem for you (and it probably isn't) your Wii will be money well spent. I'm hoping that in the next month nothing I want more will come out and I can finally pick up Sonic or Paper Mario.

So I guess bottom line...uh... buy a Wii and a PlayStation 2 :D

thor1182
05-30-07, 08:07 AM
the PS3 is not better, it is about equal. The pros and cons of each system end up leveling off in the end.

Kev is the worst source for info you could ever use.

ENU291
05-30-07, 08:24 AM
As always... if you are interested in playing great games NOW then the Xbox 360 is the only choice. The PS3 has potential but you'll be playing the waiting game for quite some time before that $600 investment starts to pay off.

*Second Take* If you have the necessary equipment to take advantage of High Definition media like Blu-ray and HD-DVD the PS3 starts looking like the better choice. Also keep in mind that currently HD-DVD players are retailing for $299 and I'm guessing that a sub $400 Blu-ray player is not to far behind.

Wavern
05-30-07, 01:03 PM
I've had a Wii for a month or so now and have really been enjoying it. I picked up a PS3 last Friday. I read about the 1.80 patch on Wednesday and it took me 2 days to convince myself to spend the money. =vP

So far I'm very happy with the console. It took some tweaking to get it happy with my Westy LCD but it looks stunning and the DVD / BD playback is awesome.

I was already planning on getting a console that'd push my 1080p set to it's limits but was trying to decide between the two. Here's what decided it for me:

1) Ratchet and Clank. I love the series and the new one looks amazing. I'll be taking the day off when it comes out. :P
2) BD and upscaled DVD both at 1080p. I had an upscaling Phillips that I wasn't overly impressed with. I wanted to replace that slot in my entertainment center which meant if I went with a 360, I'd be getting the HD-DVD drive which means the 360 wouldn't be any cheaper.
3) I'm leaning towards BD winning out over HD-DVD and I don't want to have to buy another player. This one's just my own hunch.
4) I already have a large collection of PS1/2 games and they look great upscaled and smoothed.

Tr1cK
05-30-07, 01:34 PM
FWIW, some PS exclusive titles are no longer and are being put out on 360.

GTA 4, Assassins Creed, Haze, Bladestorm and Fatal Inertia are some.

nVJoe
05-30-07, 01:39 PM
Thanks!!!
I am sure you will be happy with the PS3. The only reason I went with the 360 is because it was cheaper. I plan to get a PS3 along with my 360 and Wii. I want FF. :D

DiscipleDOC
05-30-07, 01:48 PM
I have the 360 Elite with HD DVD add on, PS3, wii and probably they best of computer gaming rigs . . .they all have their pros and cons so you just have to weigh what u want . . .I use them all including having a library of HD DVD and Blue Ray movies
This is by far the best answer given. It's all about your own personal taste.

I had the xbox360 elite and took it back for the ps3. Not because I hated the Xbox, but because I preferred to have the ps3.

Mazztadawn
05-30-07, 01:51 PM
Got a 360 based on the large selection of games, a large community already in place (only got mine a few months ago), price and the fact all of my RL friends have one so I can trade games and play online with them.

I also enjoy being able to stream media from my PC onto my TV.

So it depends what your own situation is, like said above.

kevJ420
05-30-07, 02:24 PM
You know, to be perfectly honest, I've been spending most of my game time on my PS2 still. I play Guitar Hero 2 on the 360 quite a bit, but it could just as easily be on the PS2. The downloadable content I was so excited about turned out to be a giant rip off, and they are still just going to ***** out 80's editions and sequels instead of making them downloadable expansions. There are some pretty OK exclusives for the system. Gears is the only exceptional one IMO. Condemned is amazing too, but its also out for the PC. Achievements are addicting, but if you've never had them, you aren't missing anything.

I've been tempted to shell out $500 for a PS3 just for the improved backwards compatibility (upscaling and smoothing) and the bluray playback, but at the end of the day, it's just not worth it to me. Plus the only exclusives I'm remotely interested in are Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, and those aren't due for another year, and hopefully the PS3 will see a price drop by then.

My Wii has gotten very little playtime. But mostly because I only buy one game a month now and lately it's been either a DS game or a PS2 game. There are numerous Wii games I sort of wanted, but always something else I wanted more. If this isn't a problem for you (and it probably isn't) your Wii will be money well spent. I'm hoping that in the next month nothing I want more will come out and I can finally pick up Sonic or Paper Mario.

So I guess bottom line...uh... buy a Wii and a PlayStation 2 :D

I need to get off my lazy ass and play all of the PS2 games I missed too.

Acid Rain
05-30-07, 02:49 PM
The only reason people prefer the x360 is b/c it currently has more games, and that the games which are on both platforms almost always look noticably better on Microsoft's machine.

It's inferior technically to the PS3 when it comes to storage, however.Fixed your quote.

GamerGuyX
05-30-07, 02:52 PM
The only console of the big three that I wouldn't even think about telling someone to buy is the Wii.

|MaguS|
05-30-07, 03:00 PM
This is by far the best answer given. It's all about your own personal taste.

I had the xbox360 elite and took it back for the ps3. Not because I hated the Xbox, but because I preferred to have the ps3.

OMG I said the same thing in more words! :(

BlackDOGSniper
05-30-07, 03:00 PM
http://www.cheatcc.com/ps3/ps3rd.html
Game releases for PS3 to come and a few recent releases

I want a PS3 for these games
6/26 - Ninja Gaiden Sigma
9/04 - Heavenly Sword
9/25 - Assassin's Creed
12/01 - Final Fantasy XIII
and of course my upscaled PS2 games

and those are just the few on this list... Final Fantasy XIII (i know it isn't ps3 exclusive but playing a FF games on a xbox just feels dirty)

http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/xbox360rd.html

For Xbox 360
9/01 - Battlefield: Bad Company (please God bring this to PC also)
Dead Or Alive 4
6/12 - Tenchu Z
Halo 3 (only to finish the storyline gameplay for me is ok)
My old Xbox games

As forthe online features... xboxlive, there are few fun things i would do, I don't usually play online mulitplayer on consoles (since i have to pay...) I would like to see the PS3's online solution and if it is free all the better, if it is pay well... we'll see, depends on the games and other online features.

as far as the players for each... I would love a Blu-ray player feature of ps3, as for the xbox 360's drive... I hear you can hook it up to your pc, so i might just but the drive if i don't get a 360.

And for those who are following the God of War series i'm sure God of War 3 is going to be for Ps3/Ps2

|MaguS|
05-30-07, 03:02 PM
Final Fantasy XIII (i know it isn't ps3 exclusive but playing a FF games on a xbox just feels dirty)

Um, It is PS3 Exclusive... Xbots started rumors that it wasn't because Square stated that one of the FXIII Series titles has yet to have a targeted console but the main two titles (FXIII and FFXIII vs) are still PS3 only.

Bman212121
05-30-07, 04:31 PM
@nrdstrm: I spend a lot more time playing Dvds and BD discs in my PS3 then actually playing games. There are a few cool PS3 games, but like everyone said all of the big ones haven't come out yet. If you want the system just to play games, a 360 might be the better choice right now because it has had some bigger titles come out, but a lot of the must haves aren't out yet on either system IMO.

I'd still say go with the PS3 since there are some decent titles you can play now, and there will be a lot more in the future.