PDA

View Full Version : "Performance" problem in HL2? (8800 GTS 320MB)

78stonewobble
05-30-07, 04:28 AM
Hello people, hoping you guys could determine if my card is performing the way it's supposed to or I'm having a problem in my setup.

Heres the system:

Core2 6400
2 gb ram
C: drive on raid 0
Windows vista 32 bit
Nvidia drivers 158.18

The problem:

I can run halflife 2 at maximum ingame settings with 1600x1200, 6x AA and 16x AF and I usually get around 180-200 fps unless in cpu limited situations.

Now I like having transparency AA on in HL2 but this does not get turned on if I chose "enhance application settings" and sets transparency AA to "Supersampling".

If I instead override the settings in HL2 with the nvidia controlpanel settings I still get upwards of a 190-200 fps but with severe drops to most often around 25 fps. And sometimes as low as 7 fps. This is setting TAA to supersampling and choosing 8x AA.

I've tried AA settings of 4x and lowering resolution 1280x1024 but I still get this massive drop and as far as I can see there is no boost in my minimum FPS.

Now my question is:

Is this normal behaviour and TAA is just THAT taxing on my card or is there something wrong with drivers / game and so on?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights.

And greetings to all since this is my first post here :)

78stonewobble
05-30-07, 04:43 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I'm in the middle of trying these new drivers out now.

Couldn't find any list of fixes for these drivers though so I wasn't sure if they would affect HL2 but they do seem good by the reviews here on the forums.

Wolfhound
05-30-07, 04:52 AM
Hello people, hoping you guys could determine if my card is performing the way it's supposed to or I'm having a problem in my setup.

Heres the system:

Core2 6400
2 gb ram
Windows vista 32 bit
Nvidia drivers 158.18

The problem:

I can run halflife 2 at maximum ingame settings with 1600x1200, 6x AA and 16x AF and I usually get around 180-200 fps unless in cpu limited situations.

Now I like having transparency AA on in HL2 but this does not get turned on if I chose "enhance application settings" and sets transparency AA to "Supersampling".

If I instead override the settings in HL2 with the nvidia controlpanel settings I still get upwards of a 190-200 fps but with severe drops to most often around 25 fps. And sometimes as low as 7 fps. This is setting TAA to supersampling and choosing 8x AA.

I've tried AA settings of 4x and lowering resolution 1280x1024 but I still get this massive drop and as far as I can see there is no boost in my minimum FPS.

Now my question is:

Is this normal behaviour and TAA is just THAT taxing on my card or is there something wrong with drivers / game and so on?

<it can be Vista Drivers, sometimes I see some performance loss in my system, update to latest driver 158.43, I hadnīt seen any loss with these

78stonewobble
05-31-07, 02:36 AM
Hmm as far as I can see these new drivers have the same performance.

Still dropping into the low twenties.

Well it's not bad considering the settings anyway 1600x1200 8x TAA and 16AF

Should have gotten the 640 mb version if I wanted to game at this resolution :S

kevJ420
05-31-07, 02:44 AM

Heres the system:

Core2 6400
2 gb ram
Windows vista 32 bit
Nvidia drivers 158.18

The problem:

Now my question is:

Did you mean 16x AA rather than 6x?

Welcome to nvnews=)

Princess_Frosty
06-01-07, 05:33 AM
These dips maybe normal (I've not tested myself) but you have to understand that when you enabled TSAA it has a greater performance hit, when you set the TSAA type to supersampling you get a MASSIVE performance hit.

SuperSampled AA is a real killer especially at high values like 8x or 16x and thats why MSAA was invented, try setting the TSAA value to MSAA rather than SSAA and see if that helps eliminate performance issues.

78stonewobble
06-06-07, 07:16 AM
Hi again and thank you for the replies.

Yes Supersampling does seem very taxing but there seems to be a difference in HL2.

Meaning there are 2 low performance scenarios.

1. FPS dips into the 40-50 at very intense scenes.

2. FPS dips in the 25 range at a seemingly non intense scene.

In scenario 2 I can quicksave and quickload and suddenly I have 100+ fps again.

I seem to remember this behaviour mentioned somewhere with hl2 but can't remember where.

Wolfhound
06-08-07, 01:09 PM
Hi again and thank you for the replies.

Yes Supersampling does seem very taxing but there seems to be a difference in HL2.

Meaning there are 2 low performance scenarios.

1. FPS dips into the 40-50 at very intense scenes.

2. FPS dips in the 25 range at a seemingly non intense scene.

In scenario 2 I can quicksave and quickload and suddenly I have 100+ fps again.

I seem to remember this behaviour mentioned somewhere with hl2 but can't remember where.

I discover something interesting too, when you have those dips in fps try to alt+tab to desktop and then again to game, I recovered 100+ fps, probably is a memory problem in the drivers, I saw in some post here that disabling turbocache solves more or less this problems.

78stonewobble
06-12-07, 06:34 AM
Hi and thanks for you reply.

How do you disable turbocache?

Thx in advance...