PDA

View Full Version : Valve + Radeon = Free Games

gulizard
05-30-07, 03:55 PM
Valve sent out a press release announcing its plans to deliver free games to all owners of ATI Radeon graphics cards via Steam. Effective immediately, all owners of ATI Radeon graphics cards may receive a free copy of Half-Life 2: Lost Coast and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch via Steam. Steam will automatically confirm the presence of ATI Radeon hardware and then enable immediate access to full versions of the games free of charge. For added convenience to new purchasers of ATI Radeon products, Steam will be included in all ATI Catalyst Software and Driver packages through early 2008. Some conditions apply - customers will be required to download and install the Steam software, and will require an Internet connection. - Gamershell

Customers who purchase the new ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT will also receive, upon release via Steam, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Source:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/38885.html

spaceigg
05-30-07, 03:59 PM
hl2 deathmatch and lost coast are not free already?

gulizard
05-30-07, 04:04 PM

Apparently not.

Redeemed
05-30-07, 04:07 PM
Apparently not.

Don't care. I already own two copies of HL2: DM and have LC installed on several machines. And, if I can't play LC without paying once EP2 is released, I'm not worried as I've already beaten it more times than I could count.

Now, if they try and charge me for both my copies of HL2: DM which I actually paid for already- then I'm gonna' be pissed. I'd probably never buy from Valve again.

gulizard
05-30-07, 04:10 PM
Same but its just interesting to know I suppose. I wonder if ATI pushed this, or if this was Valve's idea?

Ambrose
05-30-07, 04:43 PM
ATI is Valve's bitch basically. Or is it the other way around?

shabby
05-30-07, 04:54 PM
I really wish it said "all ati owners will receive hl2 ep/tf2/portal for free" :D

Tygerwoody
05-30-07, 05:02 PM
*yawn* I didn't know Radeon cards were still made.

:D

SLINROB
05-30-07, 05:26 PM

Well thats kinda funny because I didnt have to pay for those:cool:

BioHazZarD
05-30-07, 05:36 PM
Lost coast was always free, im not only sure about the hl2 dm but lost coast is free so i dont get it why they write as if they cost money some time ago.

Morrow
05-30-07, 05:52 PM
Lost coast was always free, im not only sure about the hl2 dm but lost coast is free so i dont get it why they write as if they cost money some time ago.

Lost toast is only free if you own Half-Life 2.

Eliminator
05-30-07, 06:07 PM
so if i have a ati radeon 7500 i get free stuff as well?...

NaitoSan
05-30-07, 10:04 PM
i hope ati comes out with better, powerful card so we can see a price drop on video card. i don't want to see $1k for high end card sometime soon in the future. :(

Elvin Presler
05-31-07, 12:16 AM
I'd get my Radeon 9800 Pro out of my kids PC for this but...it's not worth installing Steam.

poullos
06-01-07, 10:08 AM
http://www.left4dead411.com/left-4-dead-preview-pg10

Valve related...new Left 4 Dead preview article!

flukester
06-01-07, 11:21 AM
i hope ati comes out with better, powerful card so we can see a price drop on video card. i don't want to see $1k for high end card sometime soon in the future. :(

Well ur in for a moderate surprise then since the next round of cards will push 1K and you know what, crazy mofo's out there will pay for it.

To me, as soon as a video card pushes over $300US, I couldn't care less for the card or PC games.

If ATI offers a good comparable card at a decent prices, nVidia can blow me cuz that's where I'm going.

When you consider these guys have been in the same business for nearly 20 years, you have to wonder how they can't bring card prices down...Economics and marketing don't work like you were taught in College/University anymore, at least in the PC world. Companies like nVidia and ATI have proved that a long time ago.

ynnek
06-01-07, 11:42 AM
But prices are going down, when compared to performance.

Look at Nivida's 8600/8500 midrange cards.. They are one the fastest cards in this price bracket ever.

If thats not enough, look at the competition for integrated video.. a mobo with integrated video is like what, a couple dollars more expensive than one without?

The $1k vid card is a rumor, gone crazy. It may turn into a self fulfilling prophecy if people keep declaring that its true though...
Even then, its obviously not going to be a huge seller.. SLI users are like what, 0.5% of vid card users, according to Steam?

flukester
06-01-07, 12:01 PM
But prices are going down, when compared to performance.

Look at Nivida's 8600/8500 midrange cards.. They are one the fastest cards in this price bracket ever.

If thats not enough, look at the competition for integrated video.. a mobo with integrated video is like what, a couple dollars more expensive than one without?

The $1k vid card is a rumor, gone crazy. It may turn into a self fulfilling prophecy if people keep declaring that its true though...
Even then, its obviously not going to be a huge seller.. SLI users are like what, 0.5% of vid card users, according to Steam?

You may be right, but I'm not interested in buying a cut down card I'll have to replace in 6 months. It's cheap for a reason. Based on performance benchmarks a 8600 pulls in maybe 50% the performance of a 8800 and I've even seen reviews a 7950 or X1950 beats it.... What's it gonna do for a game like Crysis on my 22" WS LCD...Worthless card for a gamer, imo. That's why it's cheap.

Redeemed
06-01-07, 01:28 PM
You may be right, but I'm not interested in buying a cut down card I'll have to replace in 6 months. It's cheap for a reason. Based on performance benchmarks a 8600 pulls in maybe 50% the performance of a 8800 and I've even seen reviews a 7950 or X1950 beats it.... What's it gonna do for a game like Crysis on my 22" WS LCD...Worthless card for a gamer, imo. That's why it's cheap.

Actually, when running Crysis with the DX10 path the 8500GT will probably be on par or ahead of the 7900GTX. Heck, it could even be ahead of the 7950GX2 for that matter.

But, if you are sticking with XP then of course you're gonna' want atleast a 320MB GTS for DX9.