PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun released - not DX10?

Pages : [1] 2

fizix
05-30-07, 05:12 PM
http://shadowrun.com/
Just released. Wasn't this game supposed to be DirectX10? Isn't this game supposed to be a big deal or something? I remember seeing Shadowrun screenshots on the "DirectX 10 Titles" thread in the geforce 7/8 forums: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77741

but now they're not there? Anyone know anything about this? Even so, has anyone actually played Shadowrun yet? Review? :D

I apologize if the answers to my questions are already public knowledge, but I couldn't find anything.
Thanks.

jAkUp
05-30-07, 05:16 PM
It does not support DX10.

nutcrackr
05-30-07, 07:16 PM
It's another non dx10 game that only works on Vista, go figure :rolleyes:

skoprowski
05-30-07, 10:48 PM
I just loaded up the game- so far I'm impressed. Everything maxed out running at 1028 x 1024. Very smooth game for me. Graphics seem to be on par with the Source engine to me.

XxDeadlyxX
05-30-07, 10:52 PM
Does the cross-platform play currently work properly?

CaptNKILL
05-30-07, 11:01 PM
I've been looking everywhere for reviews for the past 3 days. I haven't found anything real solid.

If anything comes up you'll most likely find it here first:
http://forums.shadowrun.com/forums/?

From what I've read so far, the mouse controls haven't been neutered like all the rumors said. The feedback so far seems to be pretty positive.

I just hope they release a PC demo.

ASUSEN7900GTX
05-31-07, 05:29 AM
well guess it will be the 360 version for me since i have not intalled nor do i have a vista and besides IGN tested shadowrun PC vs 360 and 360 won better grpahics and so on and above all since it vista only alot of people wonŽt be playing it if they donŽt have vista

but iŽll buy the 360version instead

Toss3
05-31-07, 06:01 AM
I've been looking everywhere for reviews for the past 3 days. I haven't found anything real solid.

If anything comes up you'll most likely find it here first:
http://forums.shadowrun.com/forums/?

From what I've read so far, the mouse controls haven't been neutered like all the rumors said. The feedback so far seems to be pretty positive.

I just hope they release a PC demo.
I'm waiting for some reviews aswell; the game looked really good and fun, based on the vids I saw a couple of weeks ago. Please tell me if you find any! :)

CaptNKILL
05-31-07, 07:04 AM
I'm waiting for some reviews aswell; the game looked really good and fun, based on the vids I saw a couple of weeks ago. Please tell me if you find any! :)
One thing that I keep hearing is that the gameplay mechanics are rather complex. Which is a GREAT thing.

I guess there are just so many possibilities for every weapon, spell and tech combination that its pretty overwhelming at first. Thats one of the reasons I kind of don't want to wait on this one... Its probably better to start playing when everyone is a n00b rather than waiting a month and getting my ass handed to me.

EDIT: One of the examples is on the website. The gust spell:
* Gust can be used to keep an enemy artifact carrier from the extraction point.
* Gust can send an opponent off one of the many ledges in Santos, tumbling towards his death.
* Gust is very useful for keeping that Katana or Shotgun wielding enemy from getting close enough to be effective.
* Gust is the only thing able to hurt someone who has the smoke spell activated.
* Gust can be used to increase your initial boost when gliding.
* Gust can be used to reduce falling damage, if cast straight down.

Perhaps the most powerful use of gust is what people call the poor man’s rocket launcher. Toss a grenade and then gust it and you can blow up opponents two blocks away, long before they are expecting any combat.

Thats an awful lot of uses for ONE spell. :)

Toss3
05-31-07, 07:19 AM
One thing that I keep hearing is that the gameplay mechanics are rather complex. Which is a GREAT thing.

I guess there are just so many possibilities for every weapon, spell and tech combination that its pretty overwhelming at first. Thats one of the reasons I kind of don't want to wait on this one... Its probably better to start playing when everyone is a n00b rather than waiting a month and getting my ass handed to me.

EDIT: One of the examples is on the website. The gust spell:

Thats an awful lot of uses for ONE spell. :)
Yup the advance gameplay mechanics have me a bit worried; I'm thinking about getting the x360 version, but I'm still not sure if the controller is up for it. :-/ The pc version should still be pretty awesome! :)

CaptNKILL
05-31-07, 07:54 AM
I just read something about the game that eased some of my worries about the mouse controls.

There are standard mouse sensitivity, mouse smoothing and inversion settings under "camera" options in the game menu.

There have been a few people complaining about a lack of mouse settings, but obviously they just weren't looking all that hard.

SeriTonin
05-31-07, 02:23 PM
It's another non dx10 game that only works on Vista, go figure :rolleyes:

No kidding. So your gonna try to force people to upgrade their OS to play a game the OS doesn't even take advantage of in any way, shape or form and expect people to do this rather than say f*ck it and buy a 360 or ps3. :rolleyes:

Toss3
05-31-07, 02:56 PM
No kidding. So your gonna try to force people to upgrade their OS to play a game the OS doesn't even take advantage of in any way, shape or form and expect people to do this rather than say f*ck it and buy a 360 or ps3. :rolleyes:
Well, you'll probably have to upgrade to Vista in a year or two, so why just not do it now? (and I assume microsoft doesn't mind you buying an xbox360, since its their console... :o )

Arioch
05-31-07, 03:34 PM
Dual boot is your friend.

hirantha
05-31-07, 04:15 PM
Well, you'll probably have to upgrade to Vista in a year or two, so why just not do it now? (and I assume microsoft doesn't mind you buying an xbox360, since its their console... :o )

its better to upgrade after Service pack 1

skoprowski
05-31-07, 04:24 PM
Why? I dual boot, but I will say that since I installed Vista on 1/30, I probably use Vista 75% of the time. Everything works fine for my needs. I may be giving up a little performance in games, but that's just about it. The "Visit Hating" bandwagon is already getting tired now :rolleyes:

Arioch
05-31-07, 07:26 PM
I like Vista in general but I like that I can still run a game on XP if it is not working correctly in Vista for whatever reason.

Sorry to turn this into a Vista thread...

Nitz Walsh
05-31-07, 08:08 PM
Actually according to an IGN interview with the developers, the bad comparison before (PC vs. 360) was due to a crappy build of the game they got. The PC and 360 versions are identical graphically, the only missing thing in the PC version is motion blur (for some odd reason). The PC doesn't have the 30fps cap of the 360 version either.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/793/793081p1.html

delas52
05-31-07, 10:13 PM
Actually according to an IGN interview with the developers, the bad comparison before (PC vs. 360) was due to a crappy build of the game they got. The PC and 360 versions are identical graphically, the only missing thing in the PC version is motion blur (for some odd reason). The PC doesn't have the 30fps cap of the 360 version either.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/793/793081p1.html

Good interview. Made me happy.

CaptNKILL
06-01-07, 07:51 AM
Well, I saw it at work today and I had to pick it up.

Its installing right now. :)

malachi1313
06-01-07, 09:45 PM
I'm installing it tooo:captnkill:

Piv0187
06-02-07, 04:28 PM
Is the game worth it guys? Let me know your review.

CaptNKILL
06-02-07, 07:00 PM
Well I finally got to put some good solid gaming time into Shadowrun. It seems pretty damn good to me. :)

Its fun, balanced and so far, not frustrating (we'll see how that changes once everyone masters all of the magic and tech).

Right now the only things I really dislike are all related to the cross platform stuff. About half of the people on the server were babbling CONSTANTLY about nothing. I'm guessing they're all wearing head sets on the 360 (you could tell be the way they moved in spectator mode). For the last few rounds I played they were just trying to get the hidden achievement that you get for "tea bagging" people. I was actually really getting into the game so it was pretty annoying to have it turn into that.

I give the gameplay an 8\10 so far. It has a good feel to it overall and its polished, but the weapons and crosshairs just feel too sloppy. I prefer the pin point crosshairs of games like Red Orchestra or DoD:S. If it had more precise aiming it'd be a 9\10. The different techs, magics and weapons should keep things interesting. And the rumors of the PC controls being neutered were totally blown out of proportion, if not complete lies. This game has better mouse controls than most games I've played. Its lag free, responsive and can be configured more than most games. The slight auto-aiming can be kind of strange but its just there because the xbox players have it to. I'm picky about my mouse controls (any lag, and im pissed :p) and I didn't even think about it while playing this.

The graphics I'd have to give a 8\10. Some times they look excellent. Other times they look pretty dated or bland. Overall it gets the job done and it looks unique, while performing extremely well (in multiplayer). I didn't even notice any framerate change at all when playing at 1600x1200 with all settings maxed (no AA), and I'm usually really picky about framerate. In single player with bots, its very CPU heavy and runs far worse. Online its flawless. I'm going to crank the resolution up to 2048x1536 next time I play.

The sound is good. Nice positional sound with good quality effects. Nothing ground breaking, but its solid. 8\10.

The networking seems to be great. Its extremely smooth and lag free. I didn't notice any glitching or lagging out at all. I wish it had a "real" server browser but I guess the system that is there works fine. It has a dedicated server browser but for some reason none showed up the last time I played (there were a few on the list before I got my Live account set up). The match making system seems to do a good job of finding players of your skill level. I wasn't overwhelmed or bored after playing 3 different servers for about 2 hours. So that seems to be working well. The netcode\internet play gets 9\10 from me for being hassle free, if a little bit slow to search and connect some times (other times its almost instant). It'd be an easy 10\10 if the server browser gave a bit more freedom.

Keep in mind though that this is with the free month of Live Gold. If it continues to work alright with silver then I'll be happy. I don't see myself paying another $50 for this though.

One thing that seems to be a bit of a downside is the value of the purchase. I can see why people are complaining so much about this. Its a good solid game, but its pretty high priced for just a handful of levels and what amounts to basically the same gameplay in 3 different variations. On top of that, Live gold will cost you extra, and I have a feeling that silver will seriously limit the number and quality of servers you'll be able to connect to. I also read that there are plans for some downloadable content. If they charge for it, it'll kill them. I'm kind of doubting that they will give it away free (more tech, more magic, more levels etc.), but it'd really even things out a bit if they did. Value gets a 7\10 right now, just because I can see how this could be a problem later on.

One other small complaint is that you cannot type text messages at all. I think you can send preset voice messages like most other games, but not being able to type kind of sucks. I don't like sitting at my PC and talking to my monitor, so I can see this getting in the way a bit, especially if you have a question about how something works in the game (which you will).

I think that covers just about everything.

I'm happy with it. Its a unique shooter, its fun, and its complex, yet accessible. It runs good, and it WORKS.

When I first read about it last year I decided not to let my memories of the old SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games (and the 13 years I've been waiting for a sequel to either one) cloud my judgement, and I'm glad I did. It isn't "real" shadowrun. It could just as easily have had another name and I think only vague comparisons to Shadowrun would have been made (magic, tech and races... thats really the only similarities it has). I'm just hoping that the name gets some recognition and a proper RPG can be made in the future. Till then, this is a good shooter that I think everyone should at least try out if you get the chance.

Summary:
Gameplay 8\10
Graphics 8\10
Sound 8\10
Online Play 9\10
Value 7\10 (Could be overpriced given the limited levels and game types.)

Overall 8\10 :)

(keep in mind, this is a quicky review... I played through the tutorials, played some bot matches and put a few hours in online. We'll see how it holds up after a couple weeks.)

nekrosoft13
06-02-07, 07:06 PM
haha, go LIVE!!

straight to hell

MowTin
06-02-07, 07:37 PM
Had this game in my hand at Best Buy...stared at it for a good long time...but decided against it.

Quake Wars is right around the corner. (nana2)