PDA

View Full Version : PCI-E: too much latency for audio?

kevJ420
05-30-07, 09:20 PM
Does PCI-E have higher latency than pci?

Bearclaw
05-30-07, 09:24 PM
The dragon flys in on sunday.

stevemedes
05-30-07, 10:10 PM
Im not sure about latency, but the bandwidth is greater. I dont think latency matters for something like a bus. Only for memory.

rhink
05-30-07, 11:09 PM
Latency is supposed to be similar to PCI.

Creative supposedly had some issues with their initial PCI-e designs b/c they were using a PCI->PCI-e bridge in their design that contributed a lot of latency.

Rakeesh
05-31-07, 01:10 AM
Latency is supposed to be similar to PCI.

Creative supposedly had some issues with their initial PCI-e designs b/c they were using a PCI->PCI-e bridge in their design that contributed a lot of latency.

It is similar to PCI. As in not better, but pretty much the same. (The amount of bandwidth available can be vastly increased however.)

Creatives whole commentary about that is FUD. Creative didn't want to make a PCI-e card because it costs money to change their design. Why spend all of that money on a new design when pretty much all of their customers will still buy the current one?

I think it is a safe bet that you'll never see any creative cards go PCI-e until either a large number of motherboards simply won't have anymore PCI slots, or a large number of their customers outright refuse to buy more PCI versions of their cards.

The first scenario won't happen until there is some kind of new bus that supercedes PCI-e, and even then it will be a year or two after that. The later scenario won't happen unless motherboards start including so few PCI slots, that it will be a major inconvenience for most of their target audience to use anything PCI, to the point that they start switching brands in favor of those who do make PCI-e cards available, or significant numbers of them prefer to stick with onboard audio.

tweaked
06-02-07, 12:38 PM
X-FI 2 coming soon to a PC near you will be PCI-E.

XDanger
06-02-07, 01:38 PM
will the x-fi 2's be supplied with a new set of ears that can hear a greater frequency range?
that would be so sweet :)

Seriously though, Will pc sound cards be as good as the proper high end audio equipment soon, That stuff costs $$$$$'s

gigapower
06-02-07, 03:16 PM
I think it is a safe bet that you'll never see any creative cards go PCI-e until either a large number of motherboards simply won't have anymore PCI slots, or a large number of their customers outright refuse to buy more PCI versions of their cards.
So next year then when Intel kills the PCI bus in their 2008 series of chipsets.

ViN86
06-02-07, 03:40 PM
i dont see pcie emerging on the audio scene as a necessity (as it did on the graphics scene for SLI). it will be more of a luxury.

once PCIx is phased out, then the shift will be complete.

nvnews-reader
06-03-07, 02:47 PM
What's the point of buying a sound card if Vista is going to process all sound in software anyway? :headexplode:

Redeemed
06-03-07, 03:07 PM
What's the point of buying a sound card if Vista is going to process all sound in software anyway? :headexplode:

You can still have hardware acceleration for audio. All MS did was eleviate DS. As such, the sound card companies, or the game developers, just need to make an API of their own. I'd prefer the sound card manufacturer be responsible for the API my self... but that's just me. :p I'm sure there would be a way to tie the API made by the sound card manufacturer to how Windows outputs the audio, so it'd be compatible with every game. Atleast, I'd think it'd work.

RAY16
06-03-07, 03:55 PM
You can still have hardware acceleration for audio. All MS did was eleviate DS. As such, the sound card companies, or the game developers, just need to make an API of their own. I'd prefer the sound card manufacturer be responsible for the API my self... but that's just me. :p I'm sure there would be a way to tie the API made by the sound card manufacturer to how Windows outputs the audio, so it'd be compatible with every game. Atleast, I'd think it'd work.

Or they could just use OpenAL... O_o

Redeemed
06-03-07, 11:29 PM
Or they could just use OpenAL... O_o

I hadn't thought about that... but that is still an option, isn't it? We'd still get hardware acceleration features such as EAX and what not- would we not?

RAY16
06-04-07, 12:41 AM
As of right now, OpenAL is the only way to use EAX hardware acceleration under Vista (not counting ALchemy).

magius
06-04-07, 09:29 AM
History lesson... for those old enough to remember this is not the first time Creative whines about having to design a soundcard for a new bus.

In fact back when the PCI bus was introduced they used the same excuse on why they were making EISA-only cards (or was it ISA?).

Their stance changed when they were dragged in kicking and screaming by a host of upstarts who decided to create their own PCI sound cards and managed to chip away a fair bit of the market (I think it was the turtle boys, but I may be wrong).

Now I go away to sleep... it was a long Bingo night. (nana2)

Rakeesh
06-04-07, 12:36 PM
Yeah I remember that. One of the biggest reasons creative hated PCI was because of the fact that it broke lots of software compatibility with their cards, which was their primary method of keeping a stranglehold on the market back in those days. I don't remember what their official reason for hating it was though.

3NZ0
06-04-07, 05:26 PM
Creative have a pci-e soundcard, you can get one here.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-052-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

Utter junk though, doesn't support any hardware acceleration :thumbdwn:

It's a start though. :)

magius
06-04-07, 07:22 PM
Creative have a pci-e soundcard, you can get one here.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-052-CL&groupid=701&catid=11&subcat=

Utter junk though, doesn't support any hardware acceleration :thumbdwn:

It's a start though. :)

Yeah, I read about it not so long ago. Thanks for the link, didn't know it was for sale.

The part about it being junk, no surprise, it is an extreme audio part, which I believe doesn't use any X-Fi (or quality audio part) at all.

As you said, it is a start. Maybe I will get to use that 1x pci-e port in my mobo one of this days... for something other than controllers that is.

Rakeesh
06-05-07, 12:36 AM
Is that PCI-e x16 in that picture? If so....why? PCI-e x1 has plenty of bandwidth for sound. Hell, you can even make a half decent video card with PCI-e x1.

3NZ0
06-05-07, 06:47 PM
Nah, ocuk just used the same picture for the pci version of the card as the pic for the pci-e model, it should use a 1x slot.

http://img9.imagepile.net/img9/3924086_creative_xfi_pcie.jpg (http://img9.imagepile.net/)

That's how it should look.