PDA

View Full Version : id news: new engine, new franchise, no wolf in 07, wolf pc...

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
05-31-07, 03:50 PM
New brand and new engine from Doom creators
Id Software's Todd Hollenshead has revealed that the Quake and Doom creator is working on a new gaming franchise powered by a brand new engine from developer John Carmack.
With the finishing touches being applied to Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, the US firm's collaborative project with UK studio Splash Damage, Hollenshead insists that internal projects are still id's top priority.
Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz at a London event earlier this week, the id CEO said: "We are working on an all-new franchise: it's not Doom, it's not Quake, it's not Wolfenstein, it's not Enemy Territory, it's not even Commander Keen.
"It is a new id brand with an all-new John Carmack engine and I think that when we show it to people, once again they'll see, just like they saw when we first showed Doom 3, that John Carmack still has a lot of magic left."
Id's last major internally developed title was 2004's Doom 3, which utilised new technology created by Carmack. In the interim, id's technical director has been heavily involved in bringing games onto mobile, including Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves.
"Our first task at id is as a single studio developer," Hollenshead continued. "That's really where everything spawns from. Because John Carmack is a programming genius, who in my opinion is unequalled in video games today, he makes a great technology that we can use across a wide range of applications and different games within our suite of franchises.
"The new stuff that we're working on does have a brand new engine that John has been working on, actually is still working on today. We canít really talk any details about it; we'll see about when the timing is right for an announcement. We like to be able to talk about stuff that we can show at the same time and it's not really ready to show yet."
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is due for release on PC later this year, with PS3 and 360 versions to follow.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25446

OWA
05-31-07, 04:26 PM
Cool, can't wait to see what they have cooked up. Thanks for the link.

grey_1
05-31-07, 04:40 PM
Cool, can't wait to see what they have cooked up. Thanks for the link.
Same here, I just hope it's ready to show soon..

mynakedrat
05-31-07, 05:11 PM
maybe they bought and he is making an engine for dynamite duke nuke'm? i heard they are in need of one :):)

NaitoSan
05-31-07, 06:00 PM
man, i hope their next project will be somewhere in world of hexen or something. there's a lot of futuristic fps or so lately.

is there an emulator that plays Orcs & Elves? i don't have cellphone that can run this game. :( it looks really good.

nutcrackr
05-31-07, 06:50 PM
Have they still got it I guess is the question, I don't think they'll have an issue with level design or graphics but gameplay has evolved and I still think Doom 3 is great but they will have to do something a bit more interesting this time around.

WeReWoLf
05-31-07, 07:10 PM
It's hard to think of what they might do.

mynakedrat
05-31-07, 08:31 PM
space sim rts fps mmlmao. set in medeival times
to compete with starcraft 2

----well thats what they will need to do to get me to buy another kiddy ride:)

|MaguS|
05-31-07, 08:51 PM
Man, I so can't wait for this Tech Demo!

kevJ420
05-31-07, 09:05 PM
Is it going to be dx 10 or opengl?

i would guess dx 10, but I could be wrong.

I hope that it's not a mini-game game.

they've never really done a slow paced game before. that i can think of.

i'd personally love an action/adventure platformer with huge-ass draw distances, but I don't think it would be that.

I hope trent reznor or the guy who did doom 1's music or both make it into the game.

but in any event, I'm sure it will be a 5-star title like all of id's games have been.

hirantha
05-31-07, 09:48 PM
hmm another "here enjoy another only play in the dark engine" ?

nah i'm just playing hope he gets another awesome engine out.. Doom3 changed the way i look at games.

mynakedrat
05-31-07, 09:48 PM
but i wonder if carmacks interest in rocketry is taking more of his attention from developing , and he is prolly hiring teams to do his work, then tweak or edit it as they go along. i know he loves space and rockets, and that will be a huge focus for him in the next year
www.armadilloaerospace.com

mullet
06-01-07, 12:25 AM
It would be nice to have a kickass Space flight sim. I miss Tie Fighter.

Mr_LoL
06-01-07, 12:57 AM
I hope its not going to be dark like Doom 3's engine.

SH0DAN
06-01-07, 01:18 AM
man, i hope their next project will be somewhere in world of hexen or something. there's a lot of futuristic fps or so lately.

is there an emulator that plays Orcs & Elves? i don't have cellphone that can run this game. :( it looks really good.

I would kill for a Hexen sequel or Heretic sequel (or both better yet !!)using a modern day 3D engine like Doom3 or UE3,or even the Crytek engine.I have bought all of the games that Raven has worked on,and I am sick to death of SOF type stuff (bought all those as well....)and greatly enjoyed them but I want a return to thier PC gaming title roots.And please give the Quake and Star Trek series a god dman break already.And for christs sake
no more WW2 themed games !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! at least for a few years.... :rolleyes:

qube
06-01-07, 02:00 AM
i reed on a site that they are going to show the next project on quakeqon
cant remember were i reed it

Redeemed
06-01-07, 02:42 AM
i reed on a site that they are going to show the next project on quakeqon
cant remember were i reed it

I know! It's Quake 5! LOL :D

ASUSEN7900GTX
06-01-07, 09:48 AM
i Know what they are doing DNF since 3Drelams never seem to finish it ID is doing it and 3Drealms can retire :D

naah shall be cool though to see it

|MaguS|
06-01-07, 09:50 AM
i Know what they are doing DNF since 3Drelams never seem to finish it ID is doing it and 3Drealms can retire :D

naah shall be cool though to see it

No but DNF will be restarted once the engine is completed so they can switch to it...

nekrosoft13
06-01-07, 09:52 AM
No but DNF will be restarted once the engine is completed so they can switch to it...

I was about to say that, they will switch engines again ;)

flukester
06-01-07, 11:43 AM
Annoys me when people make fun of DNF but maybe people don't know that 3D Realms has been a silent partner of Epic and have been working together on the Unreal engine for some time. DNF is using a heavily modified Unreal engine and they said technology wise it's done.

I sincerely doubt they would change engine and there's no such evidence to support that either. Just because they are looking for a coder(not the first time) doesn't mean at all they are changing engines.

Will Carmacks engine support DX10? likely, but Carmack is no supporter of DX10 and that's been stated quite a few times in interviews unless he's a liar. Carmack feels all DX10 is is optimizations to DX9 and offers nothing truly warrantable to 'have to move to' nor does he feel the optimizations are anything developers are excitedly jumping on.

Likely for marketing reasons they will make it DX10. Quake Wars is a DX9 title but last I heard it will support DX10 for marketing reasons...

nekrosoft13
06-01-07, 11:54 AM
Likely for marketing reasons they will make it DX10. Quake Wars is a DX9 title but last I heard it will support DX10 for marketing reasons...

hey Genius

Quake War is OpenGL title, get your facts straight

http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/2007/05/enemy_territori_1.html

jolle
06-01-07, 11:58 AM
I hope its not going to be dark like Doom 3's engine.
The engine isnt dark.
The levels made for the game Doom III were tho.

Is it going to be dx 10 or opengl?

i would guess dx 10, but I could be wrong.
I would guess they stay with OpenGL.
Acctually it has a added benefit now that it hasnt before, OpenGL can utilize DX10 hardware functionality to a great extent on any platform, not just vista.
But, since they moved to the 360 as their primary development platform, its possible they will go with Direct3d this time.
My guess would be OpenGL tho.

Eliminator
06-01-07, 12:37 PM
hope its opengl

hell_of_doom227
06-01-07, 03:10 PM
openGL was proved to be a better API then DX.