PDA

View Full Version : Why does Vista pretend to be loaded after log in?

Pixelsmack
05-31-07, 04:49 PM
I can browse my computer, click the start menu but what I cannot do is get any application to run, delete things from the trash can and I get empty "info bubbles" over anything in the systray. Also my wifi is frozen.

It stays like this for about 30seconds then the screen flashes and my wifi connects and all else is well.

It's like an odd limbo-semi-awake moment at every cold boot.

I've searched the net and all I can find are others asking my same question but no answers.

Ideas?

grey_1
05-31-07, 05:00 PM
If you can find which process is loading last you'll have your culprit. You could disable them one by one, rebooting after each.

Redeemed
05-31-07, 05:04 PM
If you can find which process is loading last you'll have your culprit. You could disable them one by one, rebooting after each.

Even though this could prove to be extremely time consuming, it is probably your best option.

Nitz Walsh
05-31-07, 11:54 PM
Not sure there's much that can be done about it, it's just how Windows has always behaved and I was really hoping MS would remedy this. If I'm at my desktop, the system should be _ready_. MS was boasting how quickly Vista would boot up, this is no the case on either a new laptop or a new desktop install I've done.

OSX is much better at this, albeit the dashboard widgets aren't activated upon startup like they are in Vista (not until you enable dashboard), and you're usually not loading an AV.

Still, it's annoying. MS can do better in this regard, SP1 may improve things.

Badboy_12345
06-01-07, 10:03 AM
I thought it was supposed to be like that?
well I have tested it on 4 different computers and its like that on everyone of them :p
it boots up right away but you cant use most stuff beacuse it still "booting"

WaterPartys
06-01-07, 10:50 AM
same happens at XP... Windows uses a lot of resources and logging in is helly slow for us PC addicts :thumbdwn:

Darkoz
06-02-07, 05:57 AM
I've installed Vista at least 6 times and I've never seen that happen.

Ikshaar
06-05-07, 03:02 PM
This is typical behavior... windows finish booting after starting the desktop.

It allows to claim a lower boot time :(

True it depends on HDD speed and CPU and what is installed - so lucky ones like Darkoz never seen the problem, but it is quite common.

Wolfhound
06-05-07, 03:12 PM
I hadnīt see this in any of my reinstalls with Vista and XP

Dragunov
06-05-07, 04:28 PM
I have this problem aswell, had this problem on my old machine with XP too.

OWA
06-06-07, 05:43 PM
I think if you check the service list, some items are probably set to delayed start. So, it's probably normal behavior.

Sazar
06-06-07, 05:57 PM
I agree with OWA.

Upon entry into my desktop environment in Vista, I can typically start using apps like normal. I will agree that some apps do take a little longer upon immediate bootup compared to others, but the majority work fine.

mynakedrat
06-07-07, 09:46 PM
are you using readyboost and a 2-4gb FAST jumpdrive like Vista recommends?