PDA

View Full Version : Sound drivers on Vista

DarkJedi664
06-01-07, 07:34 PM
"I don't want to go on a rant here...." but for the people with cards that aren't Creative, do you drivers for Vista suck? I'm just really wondering if it's Creative who can't properly code a driver, or is it Vista that's causing problems for the devs? I mean, we've been through 3-4 Vista drivers now, and from what I can tell, all suck :\. Don't even get me started on the mind-numbing static that comes from the speakers. I really just want to know, I mean, did I make the wrong choice in going with an XFi for Vista?

crainger
06-01-07, 08:06 PM
My X-fi works fine and has always worked fine under Vista. Are you sure it's the drivers at fault? :D

DarkJedi664
06-01-07, 08:46 PM
Well the two issues I have, is the random, mind numbing static; and the microphone working subparly (sp...); like the volume slider magically moving up and down on it's own. That's what I'm wondering, is it Vista, or the drivers that's causing the problem. Which is why I wanted to see if people with non-Creative cards had sound problems too. I'm not trying to pick on Creative in any way, and I'm pretty damn sure it's hard to code drivers.

nekrosoft13
06-01-07, 10:24 PM
my x-fi works great too

DarkJedi664
06-01-07, 10:53 PM
Have you had any static at all? And have you tried the new drivers that came out yesterday? That's my main problem with the card, is the random static. I don't understand how it occurs. XP is 100% fine, and yes I know the audio stack in Vista is a lot different.

Richteralan
06-01-07, 11:28 PM
My Sigmatel HD Audio works fine.
I even have Creative Audigy MB installed and its totally fine.

crainger
06-02-07, 03:25 AM
No static here. Using the May 30 drivers. Only hiccup was the nvidia driver stopped responding when I installed the drivers. After a reboot it was fine.

Redeemed
06-02-07, 03:36 AM
No static here. Using the May 30 drivers. Only hiccup was the nvidia driver stopped responding when I installed the drivers. After a reboot it was fine.

Any time I experience hiccups... a good cold glass of water helps. Holding my breath works- but sometimes I forget to start breathing again. :o

Normally a picture of Gib or teh Bigman with no shirt eradicates the hiccups as well. ;)

Greg
06-02-07, 04:18 AM
Do they suck? Yes.

I have a nForce4. It appears to have 2 sound chips. The nVidia one has a beta driver that works most of the time, but does not enable microphone. Since Vista I have used the other one, which is a Realtek variant. Its driver works acceptably for sound and microphone, but I notice that when using Skype, running other applications causes sound to stutter. This never happened with XP.

SwedX
06-02-07, 06:09 AM
My X-Fi works perfectly. Creative is the only way to go IMO.
I just luuve my xtreme gamer :D

grey_1
06-02-07, 06:42 AM
Not an X-Fi, but my Audigy4 works flawlessly.

crainger
06-02-07, 10:42 PM
Any time I experience hiccups... a good cold glass of water helps. Holding my breath works- but sometimes I forget to start breathing again. :o

Normally a picture of Gib or teh Bigman with no shirt eradicates the hiccups as well. ;)

Well thanks to seeing a pic with Gib AND Teh Bigman shirtless I am no longer able to get hiccups at all! I think I'll also now sterile.

Redeemed
06-02-07, 11:07 PM
Well thanks to seeing a pic with Gib AND Teh Bigman shirtless I am no longer able to get hiccups at all! I think I'll also now sterile.

LOL- drained the juice right out of ya' huh? :lol:

jcrox
06-04-07, 04:48 PM
My X-Fi works great with vista, except for the remote control....can't seem to get that to work at all :(