PDA

View Full Version : More eVGA 680i problems.

Sycario
06-01-07, 08:15 PM
I bought an eVGA 680i motherboard in december of last year and had to RMA it to newegg because of failure. I recently RMA'd that board for another due to that one having some strange memory issues. Now, once again, memory problems. I have tried 3 sets of memory at all speeds, and high latencies. This is really tiring. So I'm activating the RMA right now. Hopefully this one won't be a piece of crap like the others.

eVGA video cards have always been good for me out of the several I've owned, I only had 1 problem. I'm really regretting this 680i motherboard purchase though.....

kevJ420
06-01-07, 08:34 PM
I bought an eVGA 680i motherboard in december of last year and had to RMA it to newegg because of failure. I recently RMA'd that board for another due to that one having some strange memory issues. Now, once again, memory problems. I have tried 3 sets of memory at all speeds, and high latencies. This is really tiring. So I'm activating the RMA right now. Hopefully this one won't be a piece of crap like the others.

eVGA video cards have always been good for me out of the several I've owned, I only had 1 problem. I'm really regretting this 680i motherboard purchase though.....

Voltage may be an issue.

It's often not good to use memory with a voltage any greater than 2.1.

Sycario
06-01-07, 09:52 PM
The Super Talent I use runs at 2.1v and the Mushkin runs at 2.225. I think the DDR2-667 I also tested with was 1.8v. All this memory works perfectly in other computers, just not on this mobo.

Xion X2
06-01-07, 10:03 PM
Voltage may be an issue.

It's often not good to use memory with a voltage any greater than 2.1.
Where the hell are you getting this?

His problem's not the memory. His problem is that the 680i is a hunk of crap.

Sycario
06-01-07, 10:12 PM
Almost all the higher performance memory I have used is at or over 2.2v

Greasy
06-01-07, 10:39 PM
This has been a very solid board for me. Hell, I even had a water leak on the thing and it kept on ticking. I traded the original in for the updated version for quad support and it's been solid too. Guess you just have some ****ty luck man.

HeavyH20
06-01-07, 11:52 PM
I have three systems with the 680i EVGA board and all have been solid. Must be something else occuring. I always suspected some PSU incompatibility but have not followed up for a correlation.

CrashMaster
06-02-07, 12:26 AM
Yeh I would start looking at somthing else ... maybe the power supply, and if it is working for awhile after you get each board, check your air flow in the comptuer.

Even having a ton of fans I have seen systems have major hot spots, and moving (turning around ) one fan has made a huge diff on the over all temp of the system. Also with the heat pipe system that these MBs have I read somewhere having a fan in the wrong place can cause some major heat issues.

Sycario
06-02-07, 08:35 AM
I have 1 fan blowing in from the front, 1 out the back, 1 blowing on the memory and 1 blowing on the back of the video card. This PSU works fine with my Asus Commando and any other motherboard i've tried. All the voltages are solid even under load. I've tried every other part with different motherboards and none have problems. Why should I have to buy a new PSU to power this motherboard? This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812001) is the one I have. When the first one died I was using an OCZ 850watt.

edit: Also the computer seems to run fine if I use Orthos and just run small FFTs. As soon as I do blend or run memory tests I have problems. If I put the multiplier at 10 and run the memory in sync mode, it will error after about 1.5 hours. If I drop it to 9 I get about 30 minutes. 8 gives me about 2 minutes of orthos.

CrashMaster
06-02-07, 12:28 PM
yeh so it looks like you have tried the power supply already ..how hot is your North Bridge? (just taking shots in the dark) since you say its ok for that time at stock (wierd that it runs less time at a lower multi if I read you right)

Xion X2
06-02-07, 12:50 PM
I have 1 fan blowing in from the front, 1 out the back, 1 blowing on the memory and 1 blowing on the back of the video card. This PSU works fine with my Asus Commando and any other motherboard i've tried. All the voltages are solid even under load. I've tried every other part with different motherboards and none have problems. Why should I have to buy a new PSU to power this motherboard? This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812001) is the one I have. When the first one died I was using an OCZ 850watt.

edit: Also the computer seems to run fine if I use Orthos and just run small FFTs. As soon as I do blend or run memory tests I have problems. If I put the multiplier at 10 and run the memory in sync mode, it will error after about 1.5 hours. If I drop it to 9 I get about 30 minutes. 8 gives me about 2 minutes of orthos.
Try running your FSB/RAM at a 1:1 ratio if you haven't already. I often had the problem that you speak of--sometimes due to defect and sometimes due to the fact that the memory controller on this one was kind of weak.

If you're overclocking, set your RAM speed to exactly twice your FSB speed. For example, if you're 400MHz FSB, run your RAM at 800MHz. If you're still not stable after doing this, then maybe it's yet another bad 680i.

Sycario
06-02-07, 12:52 PM
Actually when I lowered the multiplier I raised the fsb to make it back to 2.66ghz so the memory speed goes up. I have no idea what is causing this but I'm getting sick of RMAing the damn thing over and over.

CMav
06-05-07, 04:32 PM
I have a friend who has this board as well. For some reason, we cannot get his microphone to work properly after installing the realtek HD drivers....anyone have any advice?

jcrox
06-05-07, 05:47 PM
I had 3 of the damn things before I gave up and went to an AMD 6000+. Gonna try again but this time with an Intel chipset....and of course one stick of my memory showed up D.O.A. I'm starting to think I'm just not supposed to use Intel.

kevJ420
06-05-07, 07:13 PM

i'd go with gigabyte's 680i.

you definately won't have problems if you go with that.

also, sometimes it's not a great idea to oc the hell out of ram, and use low latencies and ultra high fsb speeds.

i don't see why anyone would need to run their fsb at 1.6 ghz, and/or have latencies of like 3-3-3-12-1T on 800 MHz memory.

Stock speeds are always fast enough.

besides, people would benefit more with 4 GB of good name brand ram at latencies a few notches higher than they would with a soon-to-be weak 2GB with lower latencies and bandwidth.

I think that if latencies and bandwidth were end-all-be-all, then they would be under "recommended specs" on game boxes.

CainSyris
06-07-07, 06:46 PM
Ever notice how jakup never visits these bad eVGA 680i threads?

Anyways, I see this thread as yet another thread where everyone wishes for Intel chipsets to support SLI. Hopefully, the rumors are true. Anandtech told us of SLI on "unsupported drivers" (whatever that means) on X38 boards and now theinquirer.net is posting that Intel got an SLI license.

Maybe in a couple months, we'll all have superior option for motherboards. An Intel Inside option! :)