PDA

View Full Version : [Vista] Services guide (ala Black Viper Style)?

Hambone
06-03-07, 01:14 PM
Page #2 of this thread has som comments by SemperFi:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91139&page=2

Anyone remember Black Viper's XP services guide? I've been looking around for something like that in a Vista flavor.

radekhulan
06-04-07, 07:06 AM
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

DRen72
06-04-07, 11:41 AM
I used Black Vipers chart to configure Vista Ultimate. I kept his recommendations except on the services that are needed to run the Media Player extender for the XBox 360. I did get a faster "ready state" after using these settings.

Hambone
06-05-07, 05:41 PM
Wow I didn't even think to do a search on Black Viper (DOH!!!)

A long time ago he quit updating his website - I thought he quit. :)

rewt
06-06-07, 02:32 PM
I used the guide as well.

However Vista still seems to use much more RAM than XP. ~500MB compared to ~100MB

DRen72
06-06-07, 03:43 PM
By default Vista has a lot more going on in the background that the default XP. Windows Defender, the sidebar, etc.

I have to say that for the past month or so, Vista has been my primary OS. It does not crash and runs smoothly. Also, gaming under Vista has improved since the nVidia drivers made that huge move to 15x.xx

The services tweaks from Black Viper really made a nice difference, especially in the boot time and desktop "ready state".

rewt
06-06-07, 08:30 PM
By default Vista has a lot more going on in the background that the default XP. Windows Defender, the sidebar, etc.

True, but you can disable all that from starting and Vista still won't come close to the measily 100MB that XP uses.

I followed blackvipers' services guide, disabled UAC, Windows Defender, and the sidebar. Task manager still reporting ~500MB :eek:

This is brand new install BTW (Vista Ultimate x64). I don't even have an Antivirus running atm.

SwedX
06-07-07, 05:54 AM
Of course what do you expect. Vista 64 bit takes a lot memory. do as the most of us and go 32 bit :D

I have tested both and disabled a whole lot and the 32 bit takes much less mem as everywon knows.

DRen72
06-07-07, 11:59 AM
True, but you can disable all that from starting and Vista still won't come close to the measily 100MB that XP uses.

I followed blackvipers' services guide, disabled UAC, Windows Defender, and the sidebar. Task manager still reporting ~500MB :eek:

This is brand new install BTW (Vista Ultimate x64). I don't even have an Antivirus running atm.

64 bit Vista there? Still, why would it eat more RAM? Whats going on there?

nekrosoft13
06-07-07, 12:21 PM

if you look at 64bit apps and dll those are about twice the size of 32bit files

DRen72
06-07-07, 02:42 PM
if you look at 64bit apps and dll those are about twice the size of 32bit files

Ah...there you have it then. That explains it. (I've never loaded up the 64-bit versions to see)

breathemetal
06-09-07, 02:10 AM
Just did everything he recommended

Lowered the PF by a good 100 mbs!