PDA

View Full Version : [Vista] Tweak VI or TuneUp Utilites?

Hambone
06-03-07, 12:19 PM
I was looking at paying for one of the two. Any advice?

TuneUp Utilites ($39) is the same price as TweakVI Ultimate. Both expire in 12 months (or with TweakVI ultimate do you just loose upgrade access in 12 months but the tool keeps working?).

Thanks

Tweak VI
http://www.totalidea.com/content/tweakvi/tweakvi-index.html

TuneUP Utiliteis
http://www.tune-up.com/

radekhulan
06-03-07, 12:39 PM
TuneUp Utilities 2007 is much more mature and reliable SW.

DRen72
06-04-07, 10:42 AM
TuneUp Utilities 2007 is much more mature and reliable SW.

I agree, TuneUp Utilities 2007.

motopen1s
06-04-07, 01:35 PM
Same here, I would also go for TuneUp Utilities. Found out about that app back when it had 2004 in its name. It has lots of useful tools - but actually, only some are/were used by me (I think I used disk cleaner and register cleaner mostly, also used 'styler'; aslo sometimes 'startup manager' and 'uninstall manager').

As for me, today I only "use" registry cleaner out of the whole set of tools, and I pretty much setled on 'registry mechanic' for that. Never had problems with it. Tried it back in time when had some error in windows poping up during startup and TuneUp Utilities 2004 didnt remove it. It worked and got my love :)

Pretty much everything els I need, seems like can be done manually without any additional apps... So - no additional software on hdd, no money wasted.

nekrosoft13
06-04-07, 02:20 PM
i used to use tuneup back in XP, but their delay releasing vista version, made my buy Vista Tuner.

Vista Tuner has about 300% more content then tuneup.

install the trial give it a go.

DRen72
06-04-07, 03:06 PM
i used to use tuneup back in XP, but their delay releasing vista version, made my buy Vista Tuner.

Vista Tuner has about 300% more content then tuneup.

install the trial give it a go.

Got a link for Vista Tuner? I did not see anything after a quick Google.

nekrosoft13
06-04-07, 03:35 PM
thats because i got the name wrong

Its Vista Manager ;)

http://www.yamicsoft.com/vistamanager/index.html

Hambone
06-04-07, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Does anyone know if any of the three apps have the auto-login feature that powertoys had for XP (or how to setup an auto-login in Vista manually)?

nekrosoft13
06-04-07, 04:47 PM
Vista Manager does, TuneUp for XP had, not sure about vista

radekhulan
06-04-07, 05:12 PM
thats because i got the name wrong

Its Vista Manager ;)

http://www.yamicsoft.com/vistamanager/index.html

I did try Vista Manager. Once. It cleaned my registry so thoroughly, that computer refused to start ;-) Had to revert to a system Restore Point..

nekrosoft13
06-04-07, 05:41 PM
didn't have that problem, but i don't use registry cleaner

and samething happened to be with tuneup utilities in XP

ccleaner killed my msxml6.0 support in vista

Elvin Presler
06-04-07, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the tips.

Does anyone know if any of the three apps have the auto-login feature that powertoys had for XP (or how to setup an auto-login in Vista manually)?

You mean for a single user PC so you don't have to type your password all the time and can boot up and have it go all the way to your desktop without any input?

Start > Run > control userpasswords2

select your logon name
uncheck the box saying "users must enter a password" and hit apply
enter your password one last time

From then on it auto logs that user on, with password.

Hambone
06-05-07, 04:26 AM
Thanks Elvis!

-----

I went ahead and paid for TuneUp Utilities 2007.

-----

Problems that can occur with the reg always make me half wish I didn't always turn System Restore off. Turning it off is one of the first things I do when installing an OS.

Years ago I started using Norton Ghost heavily. Why have all that extra System Restore BS running when I can just restore an image if something screws up?

The only problem is........ Vista is freaking fat. Like Vista eats every meal at McDonalds or something. Right after the install finished it's twice as big as XP - and that size difference continues. I have games and a few apps on a different drive and my OS partition has 15G used. With XP that would run about 5G. I never used to think about Ghost images much but now I need to re-partition my FAT32 image drive because it aint big enough.

nekrosoft13
06-05-07, 06:42 AM
vista keeps every dirver you install (even if you uninstall it)
keeps back-ups of every update, and uninstall to every update
keeps all installation files in case you need to add some options