PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Why should i buy a Wii/PS3/Xbox360?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tygerwoody
06-04-07, 08:58 AM
This isn't a flame thread against consoles. In fact it is almost the exact opposite.

I want to buy a console. I really do. I actually went to the store last night just to buy a console. Here are the results.

First console I went up to was Xbox360. I looked at the HUGE list of games and realized the only games I was remotely interested in were the First Person Shooters and a handful of sports games. I refuse to play a first person shooter on a console. On top of that, it seems that Microsoft is going to start pushing alot of their good console games to PC. I see no reason in buying Xbox360(for me).

Second console up was PS3. I was looking at the small list of games and to be honest, there were MAYBE 1 or 2 games I was remotely interested in. I was looking at their PS3 advertisement video and... is it just me or are the graphics unimpressive? Maybe I'm just spoiled with my PC. The only game I saw that impressed me in the least bit was that game "dirt", the rest of the games quite frankly looked like dirt. The ONLY thing that might cause me to get a PS3 is Blu-Ray. I really do need a high def movie player. The fact it doubles as a gaming console is a bonus. Other than Blu-Ray. Nothing else as of yet interests me.

Last up. The Wii. I was the closest to buying this one. I don't really have anything to say bad about the Wii other than I wish the graphics were a bit better. I do realize the Wii wasn't made to be a graphic powerhouse machine. It was meant to be fun, but being as I have never really played a Wii I still don't see what all the fuss is about. None of my friends own a Wii and you can't play them in stores so I have no way of trying one out. If I were to buy the Wii it would be because I am interested in Mario, Super Smash brothers, and Mario Kart. They are just fun. However, I don't want to buy a Wii and find myself not playing any other games in the future. I'm sure that Wii controller will get old after a while.

Summary:
Xbox360 I'm definitely not getting. I don't need help with my opinion on this. I'm sure people will try to get me to sway my opinion towards it, don't waste your breathe. If I didn't own a high end PC Xbox360 would be the PERFECT choice as i think its a better console than the Wii or PS3, however I do own a high end PC so I have zero interest in it.

PS3. I might get. Blu-Ray is the only thing that interests me as of now. Wish better games were out for it.

Wii. I might get. It has the most games that interest me, but I'm worried about the longevity of the console. As of now, I see the console as something like "pokemon". Very popular in the beginning, and then abandoned within a year. Could be wrong.

Can someone sway my opinion as to what console may be good for me to purchase? This is only in between PS3 and Wii. Absolutely 100% sure I don't want an Xbox360. I don't want to turn this thread into a flame war, I really want to buy a console but I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy.

Tr1cK
06-04-07, 09:02 AM
I agree somewhat with the high-end PC thing with x360. However, I LOVE Forza 2 on my 360! That's the most time I have put into the console since owning it. It was a gift from my father in law. If I were to buy a console, it would def be the Wii. It has some of my favorite titles out now, Bust-a-Move and Metal Slug Anthology. Plus, it also is a newer experience in my opinion by changing not how good the graphics are, but how you play the game.

|MaguS|
06-04-07, 09:05 AM
What type of games do you like? If you only care for Shooters and the like then get the X360 but considering you said that you refuse to play a FPS on the consoles I would just not get a console. No offense but by your post it seems like you should just stick to PC. Unless you see exclusive titles available on the system you want just don't bother.

I personal am straying from PC gaming, MMORPGs and RTS are the only thing that I play on my PC now really. I rather sit on my couch and play shooters and RPGs on my 50" TV, graphics difference don't really bother me. Yeah Crysis looks great but so does Resistence to me.

Marvel_us
06-04-07, 09:14 AM
You might want to take at some of the upcoming games for PS3 such as Heavenly Sword, Lair, Warhawk, Uncharted, Folklore and Rachet & Clank. If those still don't catch your eye then get a Wii.

It would probably be easier to take a chance with $250 then $600 if you're not completely sure.

DiscipleDOC
06-04-07, 09:15 AM
-Because Stone Cold said so!

Namrok
06-04-07, 09:16 AM
Well, I own a 360, a Wii, and feel pretty much exactly like you do about the PS3.

So far as the 360 goes, so far everything I've played on it has been 360 exclusive. But I will admit, almost everything coming up is PC/360 and if you have a high end PC, it will just look better than the 360. Thats how things work. Unless the developers do ****ty ports, in which case you get to play the bitter nerd card. It also rubs me the wrong way that the exact same game will come out for PC and 360, but the 360 version is $10 more. Le sigh. Oh well, thats what eBay and FS/Trade forums are for. I will say though, the 360 has some of the best coop games I've ever played. Gears of War was phenomenal with me and 2 friends mowing through it twice in a single weekend. It's only 2 player coop, but we rotated out pretty quickly because one of us would just get too frustrated/tired/ADDed to keep playing. I picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 this weekend, and that was just as great as Gears in coop. It was a budget title too, well, as budget as the 360 gets ($40), and totally worth it. Plus the media center stuff is nice, although if you have your PC hooked up to your TV, I guess you wouldn't need it huh?

To be perfectly honest, my Wii hasn't gotten a lot of game time. I'll probably pick up Resident Evil 4 on the Wii next month, just because I never played it on the GC or PS2. Aside from that I think the next game I want is Metroid Prime 3. A lot of games that have come out for it have been pretty blah. I think a lot of developers were promised lower budgets, and developers took that and ran with it to pad their margins. Still, there are some gems like Trauma Center.

To be perfectly honest, I still spend most of my time playing my PlayStation 2 or my Nintendo DS. Been working through Etrian Odyssey and Legacy of Kain: Defiance recently. Before that it was Final Fantasy III and Rogue Galaxy. Before that it was God of War 2 and Elite Beat Agents. So, if you've never owned a PlayStation 2, I'd say get that, or a PlayStation 3 if you are more forward thinking. I've been tempted to get a PS3 just for the scaling they added recently to PS1/2 titles. And DSes are just awesome.

nekrosoft13
06-04-07, 09:23 AM
i feel the same way

only console that intrest me would be wii for some good crazy fun when i have people over. play some good wii sports and thats all.

had 360 for 3 weeks, tried few demos on live, and after the huge disapoitment that PGR3 was. went back to the store. at this point there is only one thing that would make me buy 360 again. If XBMC ever gets ported to 360 i will run out to store and buy xbox360.

Tygerwoody
06-04-07, 09:37 AM
You might want to take at some of the upcoming games for PS3 such as Heavenly Sword, Lair, Warhawk, Uncharted, Folklore and Rachet & Clank. .
I have no clue what any of those games are.

DiscipleDOC
06-04-07, 09:42 AM
I have no clue what any of those games are.
go to ebagmes.com and take a look....or google them. I hear that heavenly sword and warhawk are going to be nice for the ps3. ;)

Marvel_us
06-04-07, 09:44 AM
go to ebagmes.com and take a look....or google them. I hear that heavenly sword and warhawk are going to be nice for the ps3. ;)

Exactly, or search for them at gametrailers.com.

Namrok
06-04-07, 09:54 AM
If I were you, I'd be leery about a lot of these hyped PS3 games. A lot of people are really reaching for reason to justify their $600 purchase. I can tell you right off, most of the hyped games that came out for the 360 just did not live up to the hype. Dead Rising, Kameo and Lost Planet all left me extremely disappointed. It's one thing to buy a system based on sequels to established franchises. I wouldn't place your bets on unproven games if I were you.

Tygerwoody
06-04-07, 10:05 AM
Yea, you guys have to keep in mind, I am VERY closed out from the console world. The last consoles I owned and played a good bit of games was Playstation 1 and Nintendo 64. I bought a PS2 the day it was released and only bought 2 games for it. I ended up giving my PS2 away to a family member due to the fact I am nearly 100% PC gamer.

To answer the question about what type console games I like. We will have to venture back to PS1 and N64 days. I my favorite games were Mario 64, Mario Kart, Super Smash Brothers, and Banjo Kazooi for my Nintendo 64. For my PS1 I enjoyed playing Basketball games(such as NBA Live), Twisted Metal, Driver, Vigilante 8, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo.

Basically, for N64 I liked simple fun games and for PS1 I liked Sports, Metal Gear Solid(my favorite game of all time), and Car games. The games I listed are games I would probably still enjoy to this day(yes even Banjo Kazooi. That game rocks :D)

CaptNKILL
06-04-07, 10:08 AM
I'm in the same boat Tyger. I definitely have some interest in consoles, but there just aren't enough exclusive games for any given console to make it really worth buying one. The PS3 is the only one that has games that really interest me and there just aren't many of those (Guitar Hero 1, 2 and 3, Motorstorm and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune... thats it)... especially for the price tag.

I wish there were some unique adventure games or RPGs out there. Those are the games I'd be willing to use another platform for, but I just haven't seen any.

|MaguS|
06-04-07, 10:11 AM
If I were you, I'd be leery about a lot of these hyped PS3 games. A lot of people are really reaching for reason to justify their $600 purchase. I can tell you right off, most of the hyped games that came out for the 360 just did not live up to the hype. Dead Rising, Kameo and Lost Planet all left me extremely disappointed. It's one thing to buy a system based on sequels to established franchises. I wouldn't place your bets on unproven games if I were you.

I found it to be the opposite, I though Kameo was crap prior to release but on launch it was easily one of my favorite titles. Dead Rising I can agree with because I never liked sandbox games (GTA and the Like) but Lost Planet was "ok" nothing great but it wasn't bad by any means.

If you wana talk Hype, lets look at Doom 3 and Quake 4... two really poorly hyped titles. Vanguards anyone? All systems suffer from hype issues...

From what I have seen of Warhawk and Uncharted they both look like winners. Heavenly Sword looks great but im scared that the gameplay might get repative and shallow.

CaptNKILL, I think you would like Folklore... It's a nice unique RPG.

Tygerwoody, Looking at your past history, you might be best off with the PS3 or Wii since they have the past titles you liked but the Wii will not have Banjo since they sold Rare to MS.

Mr. Hunt
06-04-07, 10:21 AM
I found it to be the opposite, I though Kameo was crap prior to release but on launch it was easily one of my favorite titles. Dead Rising I can agree with because I never liked sandbox games (GTA and the Like) but Lost Planet was "ok" nothing great but it wasn't bad by any means.

If you wana talk Hype, lets look at Doom 3 and Quake 4... two really poorly hyped titles. Vanguards anyone? All systems suffer from hype issues...

From what I have seen of Warhawk and Uncharted they both look like winners. Heavenly Sword looks great but im scared that the gameplay might get repative and shallow.

CaptNKILL, I think you would like Folklore... It's a nice unique RPG.

I can tell you Warhawk owns.

Edit: Guess I should so "So I 'heard'" ;)

superklye
06-04-07, 10:28 AM
I was pretty anti-console until I got the insane deal I did on my 360 Premium. Now, I can't stop playing it.

I, too, was very anti-FPS on a console, but man...Halo, Halo 2 and Rainbow 6 ****ing ROCK. You really do get used to the dual analog sticks but you've got to give it some time.

It's just so nice to have a console because I can fire it up and play Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Halo 2, Burnout Revenge, GRAW, GRAW2 and the rest of my games with any of my friends that have the same game. There's no worry about it not working on their 360 since all are identical, unlike PCs.

I don't know why I used to be so anti-console. I absolutely love 'em now. :D

Mr. Hunt
06-04-07, 10:34 AM
I was pretty anti-console until I got the insane deal I did on my 360 Premium. Now, I can't stop playing it.

I, too, was very anti-FPS on a console, but man...Halo, Halo 2 and Rainbow 6 ****ing ROCK. You really do get used to the dual analog sticks but you've got to give it some time.

It's just so nice to have a console because I can fire it up and play Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Halo 2, Burnout Revenge, GRAW, GRAW2 and the rest of my games with any of my friends that have the same game. There's no worry about it not working on their 360 since all are identical, unlike PCs.

I don't know why I used to be so anti-console. I absolutely love 'em now. :D

Apparently you do have to worry about a game patch that might brick your 360.

;)

superklye
06-04-07, 10:35 AM
What?

Namrok
06-04-07, 10:45 AM
Apparently you do have to worry about a game patch that might brick your 360.

;)

How would you know if its the patch or 360's just doing what 360's do? ;)

I have a November 05 make 360 though and I've never had a scratched disk, or failure. Although that doesn't mean it's been perfect. Once it lost track of the HD (just once though), and it has occasionally locked up, although not recently. I do wish the DVD drive was quieter though, I hear the newer ones are.

Mr. Hunt
06-04-07, 11:00 AM
Heh I was joking... making fun of all of the horror stories of "ZOMG RANDOM GAME #15 BRIXED MY SASTIM".

superklye
06-04-07, 11:11 AM
I hate brixing my sastim. :(

six_storm
06-04-07, 11:18 AM
I'd say from the sound of things, any console that you buy, you will disown it within a month due to your high-end PC. I think you will find that since you like the PC platform so much, you won't find anything that compares to it. And I'm not trying to be a smartarse but I think it's the truth. Most people who have a deep passion for PC gaming find consoles not living up to that "bar" the PC set.

Have you taken a look at handhelds? J/W.

Tr1cK
06-04-07, 11:29 AM
I'd say from the sound of things, any console that you buy, you will disown it within a month due to your high-end PC. I think you will find that since you like the PC platform so much, you won't find anything that compares to it. And I'm not trying to be a smartarse but I think it's the truth. Most people who have a deep passion for PC gaming find consoles not living up to that "bar" the PC set.

That's why I recommend the Wii for him. A new way to play, not just pretty graphics.

I don't know why I used to be so anti-console. I absolutely love 'em now.

I was too until this round of consoles came out and not everything looks all blocky and what not. I can't stand to 'downgrade' myself in graphics that far. I need clarity so as not to say WTF is that and then die or crash soon after. That's why I could never play any racing game on a PS2 on a SDTV, NFS was the worst on SDTV with that unavoidable motion blur crap.

Tygerwoody
06-04-07, 12:06 PM
My little brother owns a PSP and a DS. Last time he visited me I tried them out and was deeply bored. :o

Right now I'm leaning towards a Wii... Wii at least has 3 games i'm interested in. Paper Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Brothers. PS3 only has Metal Gear Solid which isn't coming out until... well i don't know when its coming out to be honest.

Namrok
06-04-07, 12:08 PM
My DS has devoured my free time easily. Your little brother probably had some pretty bad games. What'd he make you play on it?