PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had problems with Activation on OEM Vista

john19055
06-05-07, 01:23 AM
I was reading on a fourm and a guy flashed his Bios and it came up that it needed to re activate and he had to call microsoft and they would not let him activate it because they said he had a different motherboard.People with OEM Vista have you had to re activate and how many times have you done it.

Lfctony
06-05-07, 01:58 AM
I only had to reactivate once, when I reinstalled windows. Went through a long call but it was ok in the end.

Jon
06-05-07, 03:58 AM
I bought mine the day it came out, got annoyed with it and formatted to put xp back on. Reinstalled last week to try the lost planet demo and had to re-activate it. It was late at night so I got a foreign call centre and he had no idea what I was saying so he just activated it anyway.

radekhulan
06-05-07, 04:30 AM
I had to reactive Vista Ultimate x64 (retail) 3 times already (calling hotline 2 times), once beacause of new NVIDIA driver, once because my Windows were activated, but not genuine (Microsoft acknowledged bug!), and once after reinstalling new VMWARE machine which changed virtual network adapters.

Look here for help:
http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1004&SiteID=25

Activation in Vista is much more sensitive than in XP :(

john19055
06-05-07, 04:50 AM
So nobody has been turned down,Does the OEM copy of Vista Ultimate have a different way to install it or is it just like installing the retail.

nekrosoft13
06-05-07, 07:35 AM
i have OEM, and had to re-activate it twice so far. both times i had to call. they asked the standard procedure, on how many computers you have it installed bla bla.

give us the number, here is a long ass number back to you.

jcrox
06-05-07, 08:07 AM
No problems, other than getting some non-english speaking people and having them read me an activation code that wasn't long enough to fill all the boxes......twice.

Dragunov
06-05-07, 08:17 AM
Set my BIOS once to default and forgot to disable onboard sound, rebooted pc, had to reactivate cause of a hardware change, couldn't, made a phone call at 10.15pm, a voice told me the offices are open 7 days a week till 10pm

Disabled onboard sound, rebooted, and suddenly Vista was reactivated again...

Jon
06-05-07, 10:52 AM
Does the OEM copy of Vista Ultimate have a different way to install it or is it just like installing the retail.

I don't have the retail version so I don't know... but I can either:

1:- Insert the oem dvd in xp and it allows me to do an upgrade (although the very thought scares me).
2:- Its bootable. It will let me do a clean install (but not upgrade) when used as a bootable dvd.

Wolfhound
06-05-07, 12:11 PM

1:- Insert the oem dvd in xp and it allows me to do an upgrade (although the very thought scares me).
2:- Its bootable. It will let me do a clean install (but not upgrade) when used as a bootable dvd.

I have OEM, is bootable, and you can install without problems.

jcrox
06-05-07, 01:00 PM

Sorry to derail here but:
Did you, by any chance, end up with an old.windows folder in your directory the first time you did a "clean" install?? The first time I installed Vista I thought I was doing a "clean" install and that damn folder was there and it was HUGE!! When I deleted it it messed everything up and I had to re-install. Second install I used my XP disc and formatted the drive and then installed Vista and it was of course not there....just wondering if anyone else had this happen or if it was just me screwing something up.

Wolfhound
06-08-07, 10:33 AM
Sorry to derail here but:
Did you, by any chance, end up with an old.windows folder in your directory the first time you did a "clean" install?? The first time I installed Vista I thought I was doing a "clean" install and that damn folder was there and it was HUGE!! When I deleted it it messed everything up and I had to re-install. Second install I used my XP disc and formatted the drive and then installed Vista and it was of course not there....just wondering if anyone else had this happen or if it was just me screwing something up.

I installed booting from CD directly no windows.old directory, I had reinstalled yesterday the last time I had to call microsoft for activation, this time it activates via internet without problems

ralinn
06-16-07, 12:31 PM
After my DVD-RW and CD-ROM died, I need to reactivate Vista. I clicked retype the key and it says it's already in use. I tried to contact them via email but apparently my Product ID is not valid. I'm at work 9am until 7pm through the week so I have no idea how to contact them, as their phone lines are not open at the weekends...

If this is going to happen a lot, I'm going to be seriously pissed off. I don't have the time for it.

Greg
06-17-07, 12:05 AM
I had to reactivate Vista once after installing a driver, it obviously didn't realize the hardware was there before. Just yesterday I had to reactivate again because it suddenly said my copy of Vista was not genuine. When I phoned MS they reactivated but the message didn't go away immediately. They gave the the anti-piracy hotline number which was rather pointless since it was a retail purchased product, not some ebay from hong-kong. Another reboot after reactivating and it became genuine again. A google search showed this was a common problem. Kind of scary that you may suddenly not be able to use your own computer because a piece of buggy spyware makes a mistake.

XDanger
06-19-07, 04:12 PM
I had vista on one dual boot with xp raid array (activated) then changed vista to another array, clicked on activate , no problems , no phone calls, no e-mailing nothing, Just clicked the button and all was good.