PDA

View Full Version : Woot! Stream Video From PC to PS3!

Pages : [1] 2

nrdstrm
06-05-07, 02:26 AM
I saw this was a feature of 1.8 and did a little digging and found the following post...It was literally as easy as it says it is...(Also works for pictures and MP3's)...The quality depends on the encoding of the original video...I have tried Divx and Xvid among others, and they all work fine! Nero MediaHome reencodes them on the fly and doesn't take long at all to do it! Enjoy!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/512308

ok i finally got it figured out. I went to the playstation forum and got this and it works.

With the advent of Firmware Update 1.8, we are now given the opportunity to stream media from UPnP and DLNA enabled devices/servers. This is a very powerful tool and absolutely indispensable for any media center device in the household.

Prior to firmware update 1.8, users had to copy files one-by-one from storage devices to the Playstation 3, the worst part being that the video formats compatible were few and uncommon. Mp4 and MPEG-2 converters were the best tools available at the time.

Now, with firmware update 1.8, we can now stream photos, music and video from our UPnP and DLNA enabled devices! One in particular Nero Ultra Edition 7 enables the users to share folders on the network via a UPnP service named Nero MediaHome. The power of NMH is that it can transcode video files on-the-fly, as well as music/audio files. What this provides the user is the ability to stream their AVI and other format video files LIVE on their Playstation 3. What NMH does is encodes the source file (i.e. .avi) into a Playstation 3 comaptible format (auto-detected) on-the-fly.

Here's a video to demonstrate me using Nero MediaHome to stream an AVI file to my Playstation 3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=67876

Steps to get Nero MediaHome Running
--------------------------------------------------------

1. Purchase/Obtain a copy of Nero Ultra Edition 7

2. Install Nero Ultra Edition 7 using Typical settings, if you choose not to include all the applications, make sure you at least have all the media-related applications (transcoders, streamers, MediaHome, Scout).

3. Nero MediaHome and Nero Scout are MUST INSTALLS.

4. Once the installation is complete run Nero Scout.

5. In Nero scout, select the folders you wish to share on Nero MediaHome, once selected, make sure to hit Index Now from the Indexing menu.

6. Once the indexing is complete, run Nero MediaHome.

7. Check to see if the shared directories are OK.

8. Options can be changed to your liking.

9. Network: Check the network interface which you computer and Playstation 3 belong to.

10. Devices: Make sure your Playstation 3(UPnP/1.0) is turned on, and that it has Allow Access shaded off. (It means it's allowed)

11. Transcoding: No changes needed.

12. Click on Start Server

13. Browse your media from your Playstation 3 and Enjoy!

Mr. Hunt
06-05-07, 10:03 AM
Yeah, heard it was good... I can't seem to get it to work :\... I mean I see the folders, but it always says "No titles found" no matter what settings I try :\.

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 10:16 AM
Yeah I do this all the time now, I watch all my anime on my TV! Only mkv and ogms are not compatible with it. :(

Biggest gripe is that you can't pause or rewind during playback.

tornadog
06-05-07, 10:37 AM
I tried this last night and I can see all my media but when i click to play a xvid file, it just goes blank. When I checked the status under Media Home, it said transferring and it took like 5 minutes to transfer 1 MB. I have a wireless network at home with my ps3 connected directly to the router using wire.

I am also having problems getting media center/360 to work,so I think something's up with my connection.

Marvel_us
06-05-07, 11:06 AM
Yeah, heard it was good... I can't seem to get it to work :\... I mean I see the folders, but it always says "No titles found" no matter what settings I try :\.

Make sure you're using files that are supported and you are looking them up in the correction section of the xmb.

Ie, it won't find music if you're looking under the picture or video icon.

LurkerLito
06-05-07, 11:08 AM
FYI there are alternatives to nero and it is free :) :
http://tversity.com/download/

I tried it out but I am having some issues with video streaming. I can't seem to get it to work on any of my media. It works with MP3s and JPGs. I probably have some kind of codec software conflict but I'd rather just watch the videos on the pc than bother fixing the streaming.

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 11:35 AM
FYI there are alternatives to nero and it is free :) :
http://tversity.com/download/

I tried it out but I am having some issues with video streaming. I can't seem to get it to work on any of my media. It works with MP3s and JPGs. I probably have some kind of codec software conflict but I'd rather just watch the videos on the pc than bother fixing the streaming.

I tried it but it was horrid, the interface for your PC is horrible and its just slow compared to Nero. Nero also seems to decode at a better quality aswell.

sirplayalot
06-05-07, 12:12 PM
Just watched Entourage using Nero Media Home on the 32" TV through PS3. Awsome stuff!

ViN86
06-05-07, 12:49 PM
nice find nrdstrm :thumbsup:

im still having problems with my 360 and tversity :(

nVJoe
06-05-07, 01:14 PM
I tried it but it was horrid, the interface for your PC is horrible and its just slow compared to Nero. Nero also seems to decode at a better quality aswell.
Exactly! Spend the money to get Nero. It is money well spent.

I can't wait to get my PS3 to tinker around with this.

Lyme
06-05-07, 01:14 PM
I've heard you can stream movies from your pc, through your ps3, over the internet to your psp. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070524-sonys-newest-update-adds-720p-blu-ray-support-and-upscaling-capabilities.html

nVJoe
06-05-07, 01:19 PM
I've heard you can stream movies from your pc, through your ps3, over the internet to your psp. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070524-sonys-newest-update-adds-720p-blu-ray-support-and-upscaling-capabilities.html
Let me ask you this, wouldn't converting data that much degrade it pretty badly? Why not just convert it to your PSP, after all it is a portable system and not the best for streaming videos when you have a PS3 to use on a TV.

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 01:31 PM

Yup, I do that aswell when im at work.

Lyme
06-05-07, 01:39 PM
Let me ask you this, wouldn't converting data that much degrade it pretty badly? Why not just convert it to your PSP, after all it is a portable system and not the best for streaming videos when you have a PS3 to use on a TV.

I know what your saying, and I don't have a good answer. But, in the same vein, why do people watch tv on their ipod? I don't know, but they do.

note: I don't own a ps3 nor a psp, but even so that little bit of tech is pretty cool.

Buenamos
06-05-07, 01:54 PM
I dunno, I set this up yesterday and I was thoroughly unimpressed. But at the same time, I used to using my modded xbox with xbox media center installed. I ended up sharing my movies with the ps3 and all my divx rips were about on par with my xbox even though it should be upscaling it, correct?

Like someone said before, it doesn't support mkvs which is the main reason why I wanted to use the ps3 so I could stream all my HD movies to my TV instead of using the laptop to output on our HDTV. Even the movies that weren't in mkv format, but were in wmv's just looked pixelated as hell.

Personally for me, it was a downgrade from my xbmc and laptop (HD movies) setup. My 360 streams the HD wmvs perfectly with great quality, I have no clue why the PS3 isn't. :(

P.S. Also, some of you pointed out that you couldn't even fast forward or rewind, or even pause....same here. LAME.

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 02:38 PM
The PS3 cannot stream wmvs directly that is why you see a loss in quality. If you stream an HD mp4 file it would be perfect but since it has to be reencoded into another format it all depends on what the originals resolution was and what the new one is.

I personal have had no issues on how it looks for my anime but then again its all at SD resolution. I have yet to try any HD content since well I have no HD Anime.

Lyme
06-05-07, 02:50 PM
Personally for me, it was a downgrade from my xbmc and laptop (HD movies) setup. My 360 streams the HD wmvs perfectly with great quality, I have no clue why the PS3 isn't. :(

P.S. Also, some of you pointed out that you couldn't even fast forward or rewind, or even pause....same here. LAME.

Give it another few patches, I'm sure Sony will code in those things as well. Except for WMV, I think they would need to licence the codec from MS for that.

Lyme
06-05-07, 02:51 PM
I have yet to try any HD content since well I have no HD Anime.

I know it doesn't help any, but I hear the 360 marketplace [ usa only :( ] is getting some HD anime.

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 03:51 PM
I know it doesn't help any, but I hear the 360 marketplace [ usa only :( ] is getting some HD anime.

Yeah but I dout it will be any good anime, probably Naruto, DBZ and Inuyasha... you know the retarded **** these kids enjoy. Not the ones with a mature story and theme.

Lyme
06-05-07, 04:07 PM
What is coming:
Samurai 7
Trinity Blood
Gunslinger Girl
Basilisk
Akira (in HD)
Gun Sword
Last Exile
Gankutsuou: The count of monte Cristo
Lupin the 3rd

Naurto isn't on the list, and I actually like that one. But this still all sucks, because it is USA only, and I'm not in the USA (and I like it where I am thanks).

ENU291
06-05-07, 04:09 PM
Yeah but I dout it will be any good anime, probably Naruto, DBZ and Inuyasha... you know the retarded **** these kids enjoy. Not the ones with a mature story and theme.They have R rated movies on the marketplace so why not mature themed anime? You should know better then to start assuming.

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 04:12 PM
They have R rated movies on the marketplace so why not mature themed anime? You should know better then to start assuming.

Because they would want popular titles, also not many dubbed or commericially released anime in the states is that good anymore.

What is coming:
Samurai 7 People like it, I never cared for it.
Trinity Blood CRAP
Gunslinger Girl Decent
Basilisk It's ok, not that great but not nearly as bad as some of the others on the list.
Akira (in HD) Might make it worth it but It will depend on which version it is. There are two...
Gun Sword CRAP
Last Exile Good but I have it already on DVD, Couldn't see it getting any better unless it was redone in HD insted of Upscaled (which I can do with the PS3)
Gankutsuou: The count of monte Cristo CRAP
Lupin the 3rd CRAP
I guess I should state that I also prefer to watch all my anime in subtitles, very few do I like to watch in dubbed.

ralinn
06-05-07, 04:44 PM
Really want to watch my Samurai Champloo collection on it but they're all in mkv :(

|MaguS|
06-05-07, 04:46 PM
I wish the PS3 supported cbz files, would be great to read my manga on it.

Toss3
06-05-07, 05:08 PM
Now I'm a bit confused over this topic, especially with you all being dissapointed that the ps3 doesn't support *this* and *that* format, when most of you have computers that could do all of those things if you only connected it to your TV? I just don't get it... :o