PDA

View Full Version : Bad memory or bad motherboard?

nVidi0t
06-05-07, 10:00 AM
I recently swapped out my G.Skill PC2 8000 kit for a pair of OCZ Reaper 8500 sticks and everything was smooth sailing. However, I noticed that a few programs began to crash frequently and blue screens began to occur. I loosened the memory timings, increased voltages (not above rated) but the problem still persisted. During memtest it would detect errors within a few seconds of running.

Thinking my RAM was bad, I removed a stick and ran memtest again to determine which stick was defective. This time memtest ran fine for an hour or so. I then tested the other stick and it also ran fine for about an hour (430% coverage).

It seems that as soon as I place two sticks in dual channel, I begin to detect errors. So my question is, should I still believe this is a memory issue, or is this a motherboard issue? (updated bios and drivers)

Thanks.

lduguay
06-05-07, 10:41 AM
Now for the obvious question, does it works at stock frequencies and voltages?

nVidi0t
06-05-07, 11:26 AM
Nope, it still generates errors at stock speed and voltage. Also slackening timings and running at lower than rated speed doesn't help.

nVidi0t
06-05-07, 07:37 PM
Anyone have any ideas? Not sure whether to RMA the memory or the board.

$n][pErMan
06-05-07, 07:48 PM
Just to humor us... did you put your old ram back in and run the same tests? Perhaps if this works your motherboard can't handle the speeds of the faster ram?

nVidi0t
06-05-07, 10:08 PM
Yep, old memory completed the tests successfully. Although running this RAM at lower speeds, even down to 800 (6400) doesn't solve the issue.

DiscipleDOC
06-06-07, 07:59 AM
Yep, old memory completed the tests successfully. Although running this RAM at lower speeds, even down to 800 (6400) doesn't solve the issue.
Sounds to me like bad memory then.

Absolution
06-06-07, 02:18 PM
also agree on bad memory

Trademark
06-06-07, 02:25 PM
Agree on bad mem aswell, had same problem with my old geil memory