PDA

View Full Version : 64bit Games

atomicrc11
06-06-07, 01:29 PM
Anyone know if any of the new games are going to support 64bit? I have Suse 10.2 x86_64 dual booted with Windows Vista Ultimate x64. All my 32bit games run well, but I'd love to have some 64bit games written to take advantage of it. I try to run most of my games in Linux if possible and would love some of the new games to take advantage of all the hardware I have, like dual core processors and 64bit. Any insights?

Medion
06-06-07, 01:35 PM
The thing is, WindowsXP is still the dominant OS, I believe. Also, Vista 32-bit versions seem to be greatly outselling the 64-bit versions.

While it's possible to make a game for 32-bit and have some tweaks that make it run better in a 64-bit environment, it's just not feasible to make a game from the ground up to be 64-bit native (and thus, take the best advantage of it), and still run well on a 32-bit system.

Due to this, all games are still going to be made with 32-bit in mind, if not 32-bit exclusively. 64-bit support will be more of a gimick, with minor tweaks. I was hoping that Vista would be MS's move to 64-bit, but it seems that they're sticking with 32-bit for this generation. Guess we'll have to wait until the next OS release.

atomicrc11
06-06-07, 01:37 PM
yeah, it would seem so. Although since switching both of my OSes to 64bit, I haven't notice a performance drop, so it seems running 64bit isn't so bad while still having 32bit software.

Wolfhound
06-06-07, 02:19 PM
Anyone know if any of the new games are going to support 64bit? I have Suse 10.2 x86_64 dual booted with Windows Vista Ultimate x64. All my 32bit games run well, but I'd love to have some 64bit games written to take advantage of it. I try to run most of my games in Linux if possible and would love some of the new games to take advantage of all the hardware I have, like dual core processors and 64bit. Any insights?

HL2 supports 64 bit, Far Cry supports 64 Bit, UT2004 supports 64 bit, Chronicles of Riddick supports 64 bit, Bet on Soldier has 64 bits executables... for new games i donīt now :(

atomicrc11
06-06-07, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately, UT2004 doesn't have a 64bit for linux, which is what I play it under. The 64bit executable is for Windows only. Also, not a big half life fan.

SeriTonin
06-06-07, 05:09 PM
The whole 64-bit craze was just that. A lot of hype for nothing. I'm not saying 64-bit gaming and OS's arent the wave of the future, problem is, they're the wave of the future, not the present. Like pixel shader 2.0 on a 5800 Ultra, 64-bit gaming, right now, is useless.

UT2K4, Half-Life 2, FarCry, and I think Joint Operations or a military game of the sort is also supported. Unforunately, like dx10 right now, all the games were supported via patch, meaning again, like dx10 currently, the offerings implemented are pretty skimpy and just something to put out to claim there is software taking advantage of the hardware.

AMD's AMD64 site should list all the games supported by the OS. In my opinion, Farcry took advantage of it most, by adding extra detailed textures, etc. The problem is, there's a hack to make it all work on a 32-bit system and pretty much proves 64-bit gaming wasnt needed to add greater detail...yet.

8800gtsfan
06-07-07, 01:24 AM
SO far 64-bit OSes have been disappointing....

shungokusatsu
06-07-07, 04:02 AM
You won't see the benefit till it's taken advantage of. Wait till Crysis.