PDA

View Full Version : Different brands, whats the difference?

ATOJAR
06-07-07, 01:44 AM
Is there any real difference between cards(boards)apart from the brand, the cooler they use and customer support, warranty's ect? Xpertvision, Innovision 3D, Sparkle, Leadtek, MSI, XFX, EVGA, BFG, Point of View ect. whats the difference? do different manufacturers use different parts? i.e cheaper brands have cheaper memory chips ect!....

Do people choose BFG & eVGA simply because they offer the nice warranty & good customer support or is it because they are a quality better made card than the cheaper brands?

MUYA
06-07-07, 03:05 AM
eVGA and BFG are said to have the better customer service and RMA policy. They are homegrown AiBs of NVIDIA in the US

Basically most of the cards are manfactured/assembled by flextronics. The AiBs add a sticker. In some case, the cards are assembled by flextronics but, the AiBs add their own version of a HSF. Bigger AiBs get preferential treatment....as they might get better "overclockers" etc

supra
06-07-07, 03:07 AM
i derno about memory chips but i have found that cheaper brands have crappier coolers that dont last as long.

and u dont usually get "extras" with cheaper brads. eg tshirt, games etc

MUYA
06-07-07, 03:23 AM
i derno about memory chips but i have found that cheaper brands have crappier coolers that dont last as long.

and u dont usually get "extras" with cheaper brads. eg tshirt, games etc
True about the extras.

As for cheaper brands using lower quality parts. this doesn't happen on top SKUs such as 8800 GTX or GTS....may happen on 8600 and below

Maverickman
06-07-07, 02:30 PM
I agree that eVGA and BFG offer the best customer service as well as a lifetime warranty. They're the most common Nvidia cards in the U.S. Some companies offer game bundles with their cards as well as different cooling solutions. Other than these differences, they're mostly the same.

buffbiff21
06-07-07, 03:12 PM
Isn't EVGA the only one that will uphold the warranty if stock cooler is removed? To me that is absolutely key.

I've had nothing but good experiences with EVGA. (I've had an XFX, but never had to use warranty for it ;) )

walterman
06-07-07, 03:25 PM
I'm using the XFX warranty atm for my old 7900GTX, & after 1 month, i still haven't a new card or refund.

No more XFX for me.

For an expensive part, like an high end gfx card, i prefer a good warranty & a good/fast support.

Lemur.fi
06-09-07, 03:16 PM
I always choose the cheapest of the flock from a retailer that I trust to handle replacements and such efficiently. That is because, here the retailer is liable for the products he sells and handles the RMAs and returns.

The brand of a card itself matters very little. MUYA there already explained why it is so.

uOpt
06-10-07, 06:24 PM
NVidia's lifetime warranty is only for the first buyer. If you buy a used card you are out. Some vendors such as XFX offer a transferable lifetime warranty. That's a huge advantage if you ever want to sell the card.

eVGA also charges your credit card $17 before even accepting your RMA, for the return shipping (you pay your shipping on top). Since you are sending them a card that shouldn't be broken in the first place (their fault, not yours), and newegg only charged you $8 shipping, I can hardly agree that eVGA's customer service is that good.

It's true, though, that they don't look at the cards too closely. If you are looking for a vendor who takes back the card you blew up in a freak accident, they might work out best.

repoman0
06-10-07, 06:46 PM
eVGA also charges your credit card $17 before even accepting your RMA, for the return shipping (you pay your shipping on top). Since you are sending them a card that shouldn't be broken in the first place (their fault, not yours), and newegg only charged you $8 shipping, I can hardly agree that eVGA's customer service is that good.

What :confused: I've done 3 RMA's with eVGA for 8800GTX's and return shipping is free, you only have to pay to send it out. OR, they have an awesome deal with the "advanced RMA" Where you pay $8 for them to send you a new card along with a UPS shipping label in the box. Then you send the old card back with the label that they sent you, in the same box no less.

eVGA has the best warranty service I've ever used, even better than Newegg's.

uOpt
06-10-07, 07:56 PM
Well, they charged me $17 and it isn't that long ago, 2005 or so. Did they drop it?

repoman0
06-10-07, 08:04 PM
Apparently, because all of mine are very recent, within the last few months.

Medion
06-11-07, 01:16 AM
What :confused: I've done 3 RMA's with eVGA for 8800GTX's and return shipping is free, you only have to pay to send it out. OR, they have an awesome deal with the "advanced RMA" Where you pay $8 for them to send you a new card along with a UPS shipping label in the box. Then you send the old card back with the label that they sent you, in the same box no less.

eVGA has the best warranty service I've ever used, even better than Newegg's.

I've had to do several RMAs with EVGA (I had one of their models that was commonly defective). They're inconsistent about it. I'll call, be told to ship it out, and wait on a replacement. Then, call back and speak to another rep, and be offered cross-shipping with no expense to me.

It was frustrating, because I kept getting faulty replacements for that card, and paying for shipping a few times got old real fast. I finally demanded a full refund, or to let me take a lesser card that worked and get refunded the current price difference. They gave me a 7900GTO instead. Was nice of them, but I was still pissed over how much I had spent on a few RMAs.

Lemur.fi
06-11-07, 03:43 AM
You guys actually have to pay something to get a replacement? Now that is weird. :wtf:

jsimmons
06-11-07, 07:41 AM
Isn't EVGA the only one that will uphold the warranty if stock cooler is removed? To me that is absolutely key.

I've had nothing but good experiences with EVGA. (I've had an XFX, but never had to use warranty for it ;) )

Yes, but if you RMA the card, you have to return the card with the stock cooler installed.

jsimmons
06-11-07, 07:44 AM
I had a eVGA 7900GTX that went south on me and when I RMA'd it a month ago, they sent me a 7950GX2 as a replacement.

XFX Support
06-11-07, 06:08 PM
I'm using the XFX warranty atm for my old 7900GTX, & after 1 month, i still haven't a new card or refund.

No more XFX for me.

For an expensive part, like an high end gfx card, i prefer a good warranty & a good/fast support.

That is a long time (way past our average RMA time) and I apologize for any such wait. Are you in the US/Canada region or overseas? Please PM me the RMA number and I will get it taken care of.

XFX Support

BCKator
06-11-07, 11:50 PM
eVGA and BFG are said to have the better customer service and RMA policy. They are homegrown AiBs of NVIDIA in the US

Basically most of the cards are manfactured/assembled by flextronics. The AiBs add a sticker. In some case, the cards are assembled by flextronics but, the AiBs add their own version of a HSF. Bigger AiBs get preferential treatment....as they might get better "overclockers" etc

MUYA:
Do you really think that some vendors get better "overclockers? This would imply that the assembly house is speed testing and binning cards. I guess I would be surprised if this was so. My assumption has always been that everyone gets what-they-get from the assembly house and then, to sell superclocked versions, that companies like EVGA test and bin and sell the cards from "group B" as standard cards. If this is true, this would imply that the standard cards have, on average, lower margin and overclocking potential.

uOpt
06-12-07, 11:45 AM
You guys actually have to pay something to get a replacement? Now that is weird. :wtf:

It should be illegal while under warranty, and it is in Europe. Not in the U.S., however.

Trademark
06-12-07, 01:21 PM
XFX, eVGA, BGF-Tech and Zotac. Those are the most respected brands and they have generally good support for their products.

Stay away from Gainward though, they were good a year ago, now they don't offer support to their customers anymore. Screw them n00bs :thumbdwn: