PDA

View Full Version : Dx10 Games and XP?

sergef
06-07-07, 08:14 AM
Hey, this may be a stupid question but is it possible to play dx10 games on
winxp?

nutcrackr
06-07-07, 08:20 AM
No. Apparently though some guys are trying to make it happen.

http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/compatibility/

jAkUp
06-07-07, 08:32 AM
Yea, some are trying to make it work, but I doubt MS will allow that to happen.

SH64
06-07-07, 04:34 PM
For the time being , i dont think thats gonna happen.
however i wish it becomes reality in the near future because honestly i still dont like the move to Vista just yet.

mynakedrat
06-07-07, 05:01 PM
it wont happen until vista is the only os ms supports. so next year?

$n][pErMan
06-07-07, 05:14 PM
Save $125 and buy Vista OEM. Not hard IMO.

jolle
06-07-07, 05:20 PM
Haze is gonna use some of the "DX10 hardware functionality" via OpenGL.
Thats prolly as close as it gets.

Elvin Presler
06-07-07, 06:48 PM
[pErMan']Save $125 and buy Vista OEM. Not hard IMO.

Except Vista absolutely sucks arse. Most of my relatively new hardware has no Vista drivers yet, and the ones that do are horrid, crippled little drivers. I would have to repurchase almost all the software I use for Vista versions. Hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth. And all of those are now 4x as big and bloated as they were for XP.

To top all that off is the fact M$ is trying to force us to buy it by creating artificial incompatibilities with Windows XP (read Sabotage) like releasing directx 9 games that, for no apparent reason, only run on Vista.

Vista has absolutely nothing I want other than Directx 10 (don't even care about that except eventually I'll be forced into it to play new games that should run just fine on DX9 anyway), which could work just fine on XP if M$ wasn't holding it for ransom. It has loads and loads of cumbersome bloat and clutter, and garbage I absolutely hate and do not want. It just pisses me off and will make me do all the more to avoid sending one shinny penny to M$.

Hell, this may be the last straw that will push me over to Linux and basically kill PC gaming, as I know it.

nekrosoft13
06-07-07, 10:22 PM
Hell, this may be the last straw that will push me over to Linux and basically kill PC gaming, as I know it.

good for you, have fun with that

ViN86
06-07-07, 11:35 PM
Except Vista absolutely sucks arse. Most of my relatively new hardware has no Vista drivers yet, and the ones that do are horrid, crippled little drivers. I would have to repurchase almost all the software I use for Vista versions. Hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth. And all of those are now 4x as big and bloated as they were for XP.

To top all that off is the fact M$ is trying to force us to buy it by creating artificial incompatibilities with Windows XP (read Sabotage) like releasing directx 9 games that, for no apparent reason, only run on Vista.

Vista has absolutely nothing I want other than Directx 10 (don't even care about that except eventually I'll be forced into it to play new games that should run just fine on DX9 anyway), which could work just fine on XP if M$ wasn't holding it for ransom. It has loads and loads of cumbersome bloat and clutter, and garbage I absolutely hate and do not want. It just pisses me off and will make me do all the more to avoid sending one shinny penny to M$.

did it for me. 360 + Linux FTW :D

einstein_314
06-08-07, 01:05 AM

I'm curious as to what "relatively new hardware" you have that doesn't have drivers for vista....I don't have a single device that doesn't have a driver. And they all work fine. And I'm using x64 too. And what software do you have to repurchase? The only software I have that doesn't work in Vista is 3D CAD programs (Solidworks and Inventor)....haven't run across any others that don't work (well the odd small program I guess...but nothing I regularely use...).

As for the OP's question, as it's been said, no. No DX10 for WinXP.

Rakeesh
06-08-07, 01:41 AM
Haze is gonna use some of the "DX10 hardware functionality" via OpenGL.
Thats prolly as close as it gets.

Problem though is that you are invariably going to lose lots of performance, and some compatibility as well as no wrapper is ever perfect. Not to mention that some games may want some of the non directx related windows vista functions. BTW, are any nice DX10 games even out yet?

Medion
06-08-07, 01:47 AM
DX10 games on XP? Yes, it can happen, but not the way you'd like.

First off, ALL DX10 games should have a DX9 or lower feature set for those with older hardware, at least the first generation of DX10 games. All that means is XP compatibility, but alas, no DX10 features.

Also, many DX10 features can be used in OpenGL regardless of OS, so that's a potential possibility there (how's that for redundancy?).