PDA

View Full Version : Bought Component Cable for Wii. Wont display 480p

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 08:34 AM
So last night I bought a component cable for my Nintendo Wii. I went into my Wii settings to try and change everything to the settings for 480p and everything seems just fine. However, when i start the game my TV automatically changes to 480i. I can't figure out how to fix it. Games look like junk with 480i. :o

Any ideas?

zoomy942
06-07-07, 09:04 AM
what game is it? not all games support the widescreen.

superklye
06-07-07, 09:39 AM
what game is it? not all games support the widescreen.
content doesn't have to be widescreen to be 480p.

Namrok
06-07-07, 09:49 AM
I know that Raving Rabbids doesn't support 480p. I think Trauma Center doesn't either, but I'm not certain. I'm sure there are others, but I can't say for certain. Most of the games I played supported 480p.

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 10:08 AM
really? not all games support 480p? thats just downright odd. Games look like trash at 480i, especially on an HDTV because the TV isnt meant for something as lowly as 480i. I am playing rapala fishing atm.

Although I do believe it is my extremely limited amount of games in the Wii, I am extremely disappointed in the way they look. I remember Nintendo 64 looking better.

I am going to rent Zelda today. Hopefully that will change my opinions some.

zoomy942
06-07-07, 10:11 AM
yeah. rent zelda, and check out paper mario. decent graphics on those 2. rapala doesnt have the best graphics at all, but its more about the controls with that particular game.

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 10:16 AM
this explains alot

The following games do not support Progressive Scan:
Ant Bully, The
Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The
Gotlieb Pinball Classics
Metal Slug Anthology
Rampage:Total Destruction
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Rayman Raving Rabbids (despite what it says in the manual)
Super Swing Pangya Golf (pangya)
Tigar Woods 07 (PAL version)

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 10:18 AM
yep this is my problem

These are the Wii games that are known not to support 480p/progressive scan/EDTV as well as those that lack proper wide-screen and PAL60. They will look awful on an HDTV and will be completely incompatible with progressive scan only displays like PC monitors. It shows complete lack of care on the behalf of the developer. When told that many Wii games weren't going to have progressive scan and wide-screen a Wii developer commented: "Lame. It's not hard.".

zoomy942
06-07-07, 10:21 AM
yup. i figured rapala didnt support it.

Mr. Hunt
06-07-07, 10:58 AM
Wow... I didn't know there were any Wii games that didn't have progressive scan... that is pretty crappy.

Lyme
06-07-07, 12:05 PM
It's a Wii, what did you expect from the graphics? It is kinda lame but thats why most of us own a Wii and either a 360 or ps3.

Serath
06-07-07, 01:48 PM
Ya know there was once a statement (I'd have to find a link) that claimed the Wii was marginally more powerful than an original Xbox. Assuming that statement is true, we should see some decent looking Wii games, right? The Xbox could do 720p with little effort. Seriously, I love my Wii, but Nintendo went wrong with the output resolutions.

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 02:13 PM
It's a Wii, what did you expect from the graphics? It is kinda lame but thats why most of us own a Wii and either a 360 or ps3.
In just about every one of my posts about the Wii I state something along the lines of "I am not expecting good graphics at all". Which I am not.

However, when a Brand New console looks WORSE than my old PS1 or N64 there are problems. In this case I do believe the problem lies with the developer and not the system itself. I will post my thoughts on Zelda tonight. :D

zoomy942
06-07-07, 02:17 PM
In just about every one of my posts about the Wii I state something along the lines of "I am not expecting good graphics at all". Which I am not.

However, when a Brand New console looks WORSE than my old PS1 or N64 there are problems. In this case I do believe the problem lies with the developer and not the system itself. I will post my thoughts on Zelda tonight. :D

i am very happy to see that you realize that sometimes, the graphics in a game are broken by the deveolper, not the console. in Rapala's case, sure its a fun game, but it doesnt look wonderful. Zelda, on the other hand, while not my favorite game at all, still looks great

nemecb
06-07-07, 03:18 PM
I thought you weren't going to buy Rapala after reading how bad the reviews were?

zoomy942
06-07-07, 03:23 PM
he wasnt, but i told him that it will remind a person of sega bass fishing on the dreamcast. not alot of depth, but very relaxing and fun.

and apparently, he loved sega bass fishing..(who doesnt?:))

Lyme
06-07-07, 04:43 PM

Wii games should look better than on the gamecube, but you need to keep in mind that SD games played on a bigger screen usually look worse. I've moved from a 28" to a 44" and notice that. That being said, the Wii games I have bought are quite fun to play, and I'm still playing Zelda.

I must say I had a great time watching my eight year old sun playing zelda and pitching chickens off the cliff. I told him chickens can't fly, but he said they glide well.

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 09:34 PM
I must say I had a great time watching my eight year old sun playing zelda and pitching chickens off the cliff. I told him chickens can't fly, but he said they glide well.
:rofl

Tygerwoody
06-07-07, 11:00 PM
just played a *little*(and i do mean little, like 5 minutes) of Zelda. Graphics still look pretty bad, but then again I'm playing a 480p resolution game on a 57 inch TV. :D

I bought the Wii for fun. Even though its not fun right now, once Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers come out my purchase will be well worth it. :D

Namrok
06-08-07, 06:55 AM
You know the funny thing is, I really am not having a problem with the graphics on my Wii. Then again, I still regularly play my PS2 alongside my 360. I even give PS1 games a spin from time to time.

nemecb
06-08-07, 05:13 PM
just played a *little*(and i do mean little, like 5 minutes) of Zelda. Graphics still look pretty bad, but then again I'm playing a 480p resolution game on a 57 inch TV. :D
It took me a loooooooong time to really get into Zelda. Once I did I enjoyed it and IMHO the graphics in some of the later areas look better than the first little village part. My biggest problem with it is that the story moves so slowly, although no doubt that's partially because I suck at that kind of game so it probably takes me longer to do things than most people.

zoomy942
06-11-07, 09:02 AM
It took me a loooooooong time to really get into Zelda. Once I did I enjoyed it and IMHO the graphics in some of the later areas look better than the first little village part. My biggest problem with it is that the story moves so slowly, although no doubt that's partially because I suck at that kind of game so it probably takes me longer to do things than most people.

man, i havent touched zelda in months. its just hard to find the urge to sit on my couch for hours to see a story unfold.

Tygerwoody
06-11-07, 09:43 AM
man, i havent touched zelda in months. its just hard to find the urge to sit on my couch for hours to see a story unfold.
qft

zoomy942
06-11-07, 09:45 AM
qft

i'd rather be fishing :):)

nemecb
06-11-07, 09:49 AM
I have the same problem with it. Man, it takes a long time for the story in that game to develop. Of course, people look at me funny when I say it's a really good game but there's just too much of it.:)

I think I'm getting close to the end (after only 50 hours:rolleyes: ) though and then I can concentrate on RE4 which seems to move a little more quickly.